Clippers Pick up Del Negro's Option

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Clippers announce that Vinny Del Negro will return as head coach next season.

It is just for the 2012/13 season.

I am a bit surprised by this, but not entirely given it is the Clippers. I thought they would make a hard push for somebody like Sloan, SVG or even try and take a chance on somebody like Mike Malone and hope for a Thibbs type of jump from an assistaint to a head coach.

I just don't ever see Del Negro being able to coach a team deep into the playoffs. He is so drastically outmatched when going up against elite coaches like Pop that he would need a significant talent advantage in order to win a series.

Should have picked up Van Gundy, or Sloan. Honestly this is a huge joke. It sounds a lot like CP3 wanted VDN out, and this being a superstar league, you should probably abide. Its not a D12 situation where VDN is a good coach, he is horrible.

Sterling never ceases to amaze. Hopefully it doesn't cost them CP3 and/or Griffin.

I would assume this decision was based on somewhat of the player's desires. In a league where the superstar determines the coaches fate (See: Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony), if the rumblings that CP3 wasn't a fan of Del Negro are true, I'm really surprised by this move.