Chicago Should Tank Next Year, Right?

Is there any reason why they shouldn't tank next year?

With Rose out for the year, the team in dire need of a second option, and having a rabid and loyal fanbase, doesn't it make perfect sense for them to pretty much throw the season? Keep Rose on the sidelines all season, have Deng have wrist surgery and keep him out as long as possible.

San Antonio did it and they were able to pair David Robinson with Tim Duncan. Why shouldn't Chicago do it and look to pair Rose with Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller or James Michael McAdoo (or Dario Saric if he declares)?

Sure, it may not work and they could end up with no chance of drafting any of these guys, but it is still better having a top 10 pick than sneaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round.

I don't see Thibs doing that at all. Chicago could still make the playoffs as a low seed without Rose - just look how the performed without him for stretches this year. But theoretically, yes, it is probably the best idea... just like Miami in 08, just hopefully you don't walk away with a Beasley. But realistically, I don't see it happening.

No. Chicago should try to win as much as possible, even if they get in at like 5-8 seed in that range, Rose should be back for the playoffs, righT? I thought it was a 6-8 month injury which would bring him back late in the season. Even 10 months he'd be back in March.

No. Chicago should try to win as much as possible, even if they get in at like 5-8 seed in that range, Rose should be back for the playoffs, righT? I thought it was a 6-8 month injury which would bring him back late in the season. Even 10 months he'd be back in March.

Not exactly.

You are right in the sense that he would be able to play around April, but the recovery time of a torn ACL for an NBA player is closer to 18 months than 12. Most cases the player can step back onto the floor after about a year, but they rarely are they back at 100% for at least another 14 months, typically about a year and a half.

That is kind of the point, though. David Robinson was ready to come back in 1997 but the Spurs held him out of the lineup because they knew that their future was better if they held him out for the rest of the year. What exactly was the point in bringing Robinsn back, a middling playoff seed and an early exit? Why do that when you can ride out the rest of the year and get a great core piece?

Obviously, there is no Tim Duncan in the 2013 draft, but the guys that I mentioned in my first post would be a lot more beneficial to the Bulls future than sneaking into the playoffs and maybe coming away with a series win.

Lets be realistic, this Bulls team is a very good team, but their chances at a title are slim to none. They are basically a worse version of the LeBron Cavalier teams (worse because LeBron is better than Rose). They desperately need that second All-Star (not Luol Deng All-Star, but a legitimate star) to ever have more than a punchers chance of winning a chip. What better way than by tanking next year?

Sure, they may not get any lottery luck but really, what are they costing themselves?

PS: Don't get me wrong, I don't think that they will do this. I'd be shocked if they did. I just think that they should as it is their best chance of finding Rose that running mate he so desperately needs to compete for a championship.

• Owner

Knowing Rose, he will want to come back early for that playoff run, and knowing Thibs, he'll agree to it as long as the doctors approve...and this will probably be discussed immediately (if not already). I'm not really sure if Thibs is the type of coach that would encourage that to his own players, or purposely play a tank version of his team (just butchering the rotations) because, quite frankly, while Rose is a very good offensive player...he's not a stellar defender, and Thibodeau will most definitely oversee his team as the best defensive team in the East next season (even if they aren't).

If Teague or Wroten are on the board at #29 (which is possible for Teague, not sure about Wroten, but who knows), Chicago could very well dive into that mindset. Wroten is an excellent defensive player. If Thibodeau wants another scoring point, he'll go straight after Teague.

I just wouldn't be surprised to see them trying to win the East, especially if Miami loses the Finals and decides to deal Bosh or Wade (or they fire Spo). Teague and Wroten aren't D-Rose, never will be, but those two prospects are pretty interesting when it comes to Chicago and their current situation.

Is there any reason why they shouldn't tank next year?

With Rose out for the year, the team in dire need of a second option, and having a rabid and loyal fanbase, doesn't it make perfect sense for them to pretty much throw the season? Keep Rose on the sidelines all season, have Deng have wrist surgery and keep him out as long as possible.

San Antonio did it and they were able to pair David Robinson with Tim Duncan. Why shouldn't Chicago do it and look to pair Rose with Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller or James Michael McAdoo (or Dario Saric if he declares)?

Sure, it may not work and they could end up with no chance of drafting any of these guys, but it is still better having a top 10 pick than sneaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round.

Recent reports have said Rose is doing well and is expected to be back around December/January. No, they should not tank.

Recent reports have said Rose is doing well and is expected to be back around December/January. No, they should not tank.

Yeah, that's what I read. I thought he'd at least be playing some minutes in mid-February and hopefully full strength by April...Which if the Bulls are in like 5th or 6th, and D-Rose gets back to playing at an MVP level by April, they could make a Finals run...

Yeah, that's what I read. I thought he'd at least be playing some minutes in mid-February and hopefully full strength by April...Which if the Bulls are in like 5th or 6th, and D-Rose gets back to playing at an MVP level by April, they could make a Finals run...

Problem is that he won't be close to playing at an MVP level by April.

Maybe I'm old school in my thinking and ACL and MCL injuries aren't as bad as they once were, but I can't recall any player being 100% healthy after less than a year removed from the tears and subsequent surgery.

Say what you want about me thinking they'd be better off tanking the year while Rose recovers, but rushing him back is by far a worse idea than anything I've said in this thread.

Who knows, though, maybe he recovers faster than most people and is actually 100% healthy by April. I highly doubt it, but it is possible, I guess.

Problem is that he won't be close to playing at an MVP level by April.

Maybe I'm old school in my thinking and ACL and MCL injuries aren't as bad as they once were, but I can't recall any player being 100% healthy after less than a year removed from the tears and subsequent surgery.

Say what you want about me thinking they'd be better off tanking the year while Rose recovers, but rushing him back is by far a worse idea than anything I've said in this thread.

Who knows, though, maybe he recovers faster than most people and is actually 100% healthy by April. I highly doubt it, but it is possible, I guess.

The team constructed right now without Rose is a playoff team and Rose would be ready by the 1st round at the latest because Thibs would manage his minutes more carefully this time. I believe this team with Rose could've made it to the finals this season but they would lose to the Thunder though.

Tank?

Come on, man! That's Maple Leaf thinking right there. There's no need to "tank".

I was thinking it was more San Antonio Spur thinking that led them to win 4 championships.

Or Boston Celtic thinking that led them to assemble the big three and win 1 championship and become a contender for 5 years.

The Leafs are idiots for not tanking and instead rotting away in mediocirty because of their annual "drive for 9th".