Boston's Big Three: Overachieve, Underachieve or Meet Expectations?

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 years together:

1 championship

2 trips to the finals

5 Atlantic Division titles

Regular season record of 273-121

Playoff record of 54-39

Would you say that the Celtics met your expectations, overachieved or underachieved during the 5 years of the big three?

Some other factors to consider:

Garnett's injury

Perkins' injury in Game 6 of 2010 FInals

Blew a 3-2 series lead 3 times and in each of those 3 game 7's they had a double digit lead at one point

Underachieved.

I understand Garnett was missing the second year, but they were up 3-2 on LA in the 2010 finals and couldn't finish them, which is unacceptable. They didn't show up to Game 6, and that one game alone killed a huge shot at winning a second title.

If Garnett was healthy in 2009, I think they would have had a great shot at winning it...would've seen back to back to back Lakers-Celtics meetings possibly.

They also get a bad mark for losing another possible series clincher against Miami last week at home.

If they got one more title, I would have said that they had met my expectations.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

I think injuries and coaching to an extent held them back. People think Doc is an elite coach but I think he played Allen and Pierce way too much during the regular season (around 35 minutes a game or so), and had KG become increasingly underutilized each passing year, until this year. I still think they win the title in 2010 with a healthy Perkins (don't get your knickers in a not LA fans, 09 might have been different w/Bynum too).

I look at the Celtics, and don't really see a disappointment, but more "what could have been". It was never a huge injury for this team any season (other than Perkins), but it never seemed like they went into the playoffs 100%. Always seemed like everyone was banged up on that team, and it definitely hurt them.

I don't think we will see something like this big 3 again for a while, the stars pretty much aligned perfectly for Boston, and it was an awesome story for 2 players I really admire and Paul Pierce.

Honestly though, if you can win one championship, no matter what it costs you, it is a success in my books. Especially when you do it without a top 5 player.

Edited by Check my Stats

Overall, they met my expectations. I think trading Perkins was an awful decision (feel bad for Green, but was never a fan of him to begin with...) and largely impacted them as much as Garnett's injury.

When they first got together, I honestly didn't realize how good Paul Pierce was. I knew Ray Allen was a terrific shooter and a solid overall player, and I knew Garnett was one of the greatest of all time. But I never knew how good Pierce was until I really started to watch him mold into a really good all-around player. Before he was charazterized as a bit of a loser and selfish, but when the big three formed together and 'gelled,' he showed he was as much a team player as anyone, and I've formed a tremendous amount of respect for him, especially.

Rondo is also a big part of this team, too. I think the big three deserve a lot of credit molding him into the player he is today. Not sure he'd be the same player if he was apart of another organization. To take a look at the big three's work ethic and preparation (as well as Doc Rivers), I think it definitely created a great player in Rajon Rondo.

Edited by JYD

Gotta take into consideration the fact they were at the end of their prime, at least ray and KG, when they got together, they had all already been in the league for over 10 years, so despite being great, they were old, id say if you factor in the emergence of rondo, they may have under achiever but overall couldn't expect them to win multiple championships..

I remember after Boston beat LA in the Finals in '08, I think it was Real Deal who said "This will probably be their only ring." I tried to fight it off because I'm such a huge fan of Garnett, but objectively speaking, that was their ceiling if you factor in their age. We knew there was absolutely no way the three would stay healthy for the next 4 years. So I'd say they met my expectations.

But we gotta look at the bigger picture here. This team historically, ranks among the elite defensive units ever. They ranked first 3 different seasons in points per possession, along with a second and fifth place finish.

I don't think I have to reiterate any more than what Zach Lowe beautifully described in this piece here: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/11/celtics/#more-18469

If you don't read his work already, you better get on top of that. Probably my favorite writer in the business.

Edited by AboveLegit

Met my expectations.

Not to pull out the injury card or any excuses but one healthy Kevin Garnett in 2009 and healthy Kendrick Perkins in 2010 and we could be easily looking 2-3 titles for the Big Three era. Going to agree with CMS that this is more a of a "what could have been" for me.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

I think they could have had a shot in 2009, because I doubt Orlando would have been in the Finals (not saying Boston would have beaten us, but they would be back in the Finals)...but I can't say Boston would have won in 2010 if they had Perkins in Game 7. Keep in mind that it was in Los Angeles, and they were beating us for three quarters before we locked them up on defense in the 4th (locking them down badly). They had it all going their way, and we couldn't do anything about Rasheed (who was a far better scoring threat than Perkins, and played excellent defense on Gasol). I could easily argue that we would have tore them up if they had Perk. You can talk about the rebounding edge, but Boston was 29th in rebounding all year, struggling to grab boards despite having KG and Perkins.

Regarding the question, I think they met my expectations, but as a whole, maybe underachieved by one ring. I did say they would win just one after they beat us in 2008, because I was certain we'd have Drew for the following season...but even then, it was a tough pill to swallow, thinking that Boston was going to have anything larger than a three-year window. Technically, they did...because they were one game away from going back to the Finals this season, and may have done it if they had Avery Bradley.