Do we REALLY need to sing the national anthem before EVERY sporting event?

Lkr

Opening Day? Understood

World Series? Understood

Super Bowl? Understood

But a game with no one at the stadium between two last place teams with a 5 minute rendition? No

I really don't understand the need to perform it at every event and so slowly. If anything, just do it like they do in national soccer games: play a fast paced instrumental of it and let the players/fans sing along if they want. It usually sounds MUCH better than the 5 minute long version sung by last year's American Idol winner. It works at most college games: the marching band just plays it and the crowd sings along if they want to. Lasts about 45 seconds at most. But it isn't necessary for anything. What's next? Are we going to sing it before a pickup game at the park? The guy that doesn't get picked has to sing the national anthem before the game starts.

lol at both responses. you do realize how much over the top nationalism we have in this country? i mean if they wanted to sing the song properly, it'd be fine. but the fact that no one can just sing the song and get it over with makes it painful as hell.

in regards to respect, it is important to realize that the more this song is played at EVERY event, the less special/significant it becomes. i mean in all reality, it comes on, and you just stand there for a couple of minutes waiting for it to be over so the game can finally start. don't lie, you know its true. during the nba finals, i'm sure you've changed the channel or waited on purpose to tune into the game.

Edited by Lkr

lol at both responses. you do realize how much over the top nationalism we have in this country? i mean if they wanted to sing the song properly, it'd be fine. but the fact that no one can just sing the song and get it over with makes it painful as hell.

in regards to respect, it is important to realize that the more this song is played at EVERY event, the less special/significant it becomes. i mean in all reality, it comes on, and you just stand there for a couple of minutes waiting for it to be over so the game can finally start. don't lie, you know its true. during the nba finals, i'm sure you've changed the channel or waited on purpose to tune into the game.

I know you're not alone in thinking the National Anthem is unnecessary, but your points are pretty poor, and don't make too much sense.

At first you say we have too much over the top nationalism which makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm sure if I were to tell you (and probably have before) that the U.S. has a ton of patriotism for sporting events, the first thing you would do is show me some youtube video of a bunch of national soccer fans and claim they are much more patriotic, but that's just my opinion.

Now, let's get to the part where you really make no sense at all. You FIRST say that it's just flat out not needed, but then seem to completely change your mind and say that it's fine if it's not an over the top singing version of it. Which is it? You need to make up your mind.

And, no, I never turn the channel or wait right until game time just because the National Anthem is about to start. Actually, sometimes I'll stand up when it comes on, and I'll never just change the channel because I "don't want to listen to our country's song".

My main problem with what you are saying is that you are arguing two completely different things, and said yourself that one of your points would not be a problem if the song was sung slowly, which would then make your other point irrelevant.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Seriously.. It's about national pride. Yes we do need to sing it before every game. Geezus people these days, no respect.

Theres no reason to be proud of this country. Our government sucks and does everything to screw the people over and put money in their own pockets, the citizens blindly elect them like dumb sheep every year, half the people are obese....... :lol:

Theres no reason to be proud of this country. Our government sucks and does everything to screw the people over and put money in their own pockets, the citizens blindly elect them like dumb sheep every year, half the people are obese....... :lol:

Spoken like a true Californian.

I like how you guys say I must not like America because I think the national anthem really isn't needed at domestic sporting events :lol:

how many other countries play it before every event?

why don't we sing it when going to wal mart? that is an american institution. we should sing it after we check out

Edited by Lkr

I enjoy it and I hear it maybe 3-4 times a week in the winter. It symbolizes who we are. You might not like the Government or participate in anything patriotic but you still are a Canadian.

Id be okay with the Canadian national anthem before all sporting events.

Who cares about American tradition right?

Bombing other countries, screwing over its citizens, eating yourself into a coma....... wonderful American tradition.

forgot to mention slavery

Edited by kingfish

Bombing other countries, screwing over its citizens, eating yourself into a coma....... wonderful American tradition.

http://gifsforum.com/images/image/facepalm/grand/facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1158.jpg

• Like 1