Who would you rather build your team around?

The Regime

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

Kevin Durant, because I wouldn't want LeBron leaving us if I didn't give him another superstar and an all-star to team with.

Plus, Durant is also much younger, and already the best scorer in the NBA, hands down.

Kevin Durant, because I wouldn't want LeBron leaving us if I didn't give him another superstar and an all-star to team with.

Plus, Durant is also much younger, and already the best scorer in the NBA, hands down.

I'm not trying to defend James, but do you honestly think that if roles were switched KD would have stayed with the Cavs? He might not have done the whole "decision" ordeal, but I couldn't see him staying. Durant is just fortunate he has Sam Presti that has helped surround him with incredible talent.

• Owner

I'm not trying to defend James, but do you honestly think that if roles were switched KD would have stayed with the Cavs? He might not have done the whole "decision" ordeal, but I couldn't see him staying. Durant is just fortunate he has Sam Presti that has helped surround him with incredible talent.

I think he would have if it was his hometown (or state). If Durant was on the Wizards, who are FAR worse than the Cavaliers ever were during the LeBron era...I could still see him staying there because it's DC.

So you're actually saying that the Thunder should trade Durant for LeBron this summer (assuming that offer was made)?

No one is saying that, and that's not the question. That's a Skip Bayless type of question you are trying to ask right now.

If I'm building a team from scratch, I'll take LeBron James. However, both the Heat and Thunder have their own chemistry, so I doubt either team makes the trade.

LeBron is clearly superior to Durant. It doesn't even seem like James is putting up 30+ppg, yet he is........

I think he would have if it was his hometown (or state). If Durant was on the Wizards, who are FAR worse than the Cavaliers ever were during the LeBron era...I could still see him staying there because it's DC.

If Durant, or anyone for that matter, played 7 years and the best player he ever played with was Mo [expletive]ing Williams, then yes, they would certainly leave. Albeit in a much different fashion, they would leave nonetheless.

Also, so based on your stance, you wouldn't want to build around pre-Gasol Kobe? He wanted out of LA after just a couple seasons playing without an all-star, so why is it so bad LBJ wanted out after 7 years of playing with mediocre players?

Maybe today, but 3 years from now? Doubt it. You act like LBJ left right after his rookie contract. He left after 7 damn years, you act like he never gave the Cavaliers a fair chance to build around him, when the fact of the matter is that he gave them more time than he really should have. He wasted 7 years there because management was too incompetent to make the necessary moves. JJ Hickson and firsts for Amare Stoudemire, you get that deal done, and LeBron is a Cavalier today. I strongly believe that. Its not like Cleveland was THAT far off from winning a title, they just needed a player who could do something without needing to be spoon fed by LBJ.

LeBron left for a chance to win, he stays in Cleveland, he probably never wins a championship as long as he is there. Believe it not, despite being the best player in the NBA, he still needs some help to win, just like anyone else who has ever been in the NBA. I don't like that he went to Miami, but at the same time I don't hold it against him that he wanted to get out of that incredibly mismanaged organization.

Edited by Check my Stats

If I was building a team right now I would go with the back to back 22 year old scoring champ. Kevin Durant.

Do I think James is a better overall player than Durnat [expletive] yes, but if I was going to build a team I would go with that 22 year old who is already averaging 30 a game and is no where near his prime. The ammont of potential Durant has is unimaginable. I wouldn't go with James because I feel where he is at now is where he is going to stay, not going to get any better. Which is great don't get me wrong but Being a GM I would bet that Durant in his prime is going to be better than that.

I love how people are taking Durant because of his scoring.

The difference in scoring between James and Durant the past three seasons had been, .9ppg, 1.0ppg, and .4ppg.

Strong difference in scoring between the two. :lol: .

LeBron and Durant have similar rebounding statistics as well, with LeBron trumping him is assists and FG%,

I have no problem with someone saying Durant is a better shooter, because he is, but to say you're choosing him because of his scoring which is such a little difference between the two players while LeBron trumps him in many other categories is pretty dumb.

• Owner

For one, you guys need to stop talking like I just talked shit on your brother.

It doesn't even seem like James is putting up 30+ppg, yet he is........

How does it not seem like it? I've seen LeBron make about 400 layups...and then miss about 400 jumpers with it.

Also, so based on your stance, you wouldn't want to build around pre-Gasol Kobe?

Kobe was never leaving LA. We've been over that hundreds of times, but given the fact that you've jumped Kobe's ass every chance you get, I see why it's still being brought up. Not only did Kobe say he never intended on leaving, but Mitch even acknowledged it at one point, knowing what Kobe's true intentions were...as did Phil Jackson. Kobe could have left for the Clippers for a big paycheck once before, after Shaq's departure (we all knew he was gone before it was official), but he decided not to.

At one point, the Lakers weren't even trying to build a team around him...just saving money and signing guys like Smush Parker, Tierre Brown, Shammond Williams, Von Wafer, Tony Bobbitt, Laron Profit, an old Aaron McKie, an old Jim Jackson, Devin Green...I could go on forever. At least the Cavaliers made an attempt to surround LeBron with dead-eye shooters that would give him the lane, knock down shots, and make him look like he was the greatest basketball player that ever lived in flashes. But no, I guess James got to the Finals all by himself, the only player to ever do it.

LeBron left for a chance to win, he stays in Cleveland, he probably never wins a championship as long as he is there.

The team was in the Finals in 2007. As it stands right now, his 66 wins in Cleveland have been rivaled by...what, his 58 wins in Miami last season? The team was on pace to winning 57-58 this season, based on percentages. He's in the Finals? That's nice, and possibly headed to his third-consecutive Finals loss.

Getting there means nothing. Maybe to some fans it does, though.

----------------------

Now that people have decided to take the small joke personal (about me choosing Durant because he wouldn't leave), here are the real reasons: Durant is younger, he can score from ANYWHERE on the court, and he's the best 4th quarter player in the NBA, while LeBron FINALLY gave us a good clutch performance in Game 2 (one time doesn't change anything).

I want the assassin to lead my team. I want the guy that is most similar to the five-time champion that is Kobe Bryant. I want the player that won't stand 30 feet from the rim, waiting for a pass so he can run directly to the basket and draw a foul, depending on his athleticism more than anyone else in the NBA (because once that goes, he's done).

Durant's career will last longer than LeBron's. His prime will last longer. He has more ways to score, he is an improving defender, he's far improved getting his teammates involved, and he's four years younger.

If it's going to dry anyone's tears, LeBron would be my second choice, out of everyone else in the NBA...but I'm sure that won't satisfy the majority, either.

• Like 1

----------------------

Now that people have decided to take the small joke personal (about me choosing Durant because he wouldn't leave), here are the real reasons: Durant is younger, he can score from ANYWHERE on the court, and he's the best 4th quarter player in the NBA, while LeBron FINALLY gave us a good clutch performance in Game 2 (one time doesn't change anything).

I want the assassin to lead my team. I want the guy that is most similar to the five-time champion that is Kobe Bryant. I want the player that won't stand 30 feet from the rim, waiting for a pass so he can run directly to the basket and draw a foul, depending on his athleticism more than anyone else in the NBA (because once that goes, he's done).

Durant's career will last longer than LeBron's. His prime will last longer. He has more ways to score, he is an improving defender, he's far improved getting his teammates involved, and he's four years younger.

If it's going to dry anyone's tears, LeBron would be my second choice, out of everyone else in the NBA...but I'm sure that won't satisfy the majority, either.

LeBron can not be faulted for leaving Cleveland. He had every right to. When Antwan Jamison was his best running mate in his final year, you have a problem...The manner he went about it was wrong, and it's cost him his public image (amongst several other things...)

Regardless, it's still LeBron. He makes his teammates better, a far superior passer, and a far superior defender. Durant is a better "scorer", but outside of scoring he doesn't do anything better, and there's more to the game than that.

Edited by JYD

I understand that Durant is the better scorer, but you guys don't think Lebron could be putting up 35 ppg if he was requested to? Sure, he might not be able to shoot jumpers and threes like Durant, but points are points. You guys know what Lebron can do when he gives up hope on his teammates and just takes every shot on offense.

If Durant decided to focus less on shooting, he might be able to produce the all around game Lebron has, but it doesn't take away from his average defense.

• Owner

You guys know what Lebron can do when he gives up hope on his teammates and just takes every shot on offense.

What, exactly? What did he do when he tried that against the Spurs in 2007, or the Mavs in 2011? That was two teams who had a defensive anchor resting in the paint.

Hell, Mike Brown admitted that LeBron had the green light many times throughout his career with Cleveland. Why didn't he average 35 then?

If you shut down the paint, keeping LeBron out of it, he's not going to do what Durant does. That's the major difference between Bron and Durant...one is a reckless slasher that is unstoppable going to the rim, and the other can do whatever he wants from any spot on the floor.

At one point, Kobe was the only guy I knew that could drop 40-50 points with few free throws, doing a lot of it with jumpers. Durant is now that guy, and that's what makes him scary.

Right now, Durant may have talent around him, but he's also playing without a true PG and nobody to get him his shots. In fact, he's playing alongside someone that wants to take shots away from him, actually shooting more in the most important games of their careers. That is about as big of a problem (possibly worse) than not having all-star teammates.

I want to be sure I have an assassin, just in case I'm not the best GM in the league. It's just as important if I have a guy who is not afraid of failure. Durant will take the last shot, take the final five if needed, miss them, and move on immediately. LeBron won't do that, or he'll miss and decide to pass up on those shots later on.

Wade is already showing signs of his age, and his inability to hit jumpshots (and his unwillingness to redefine and/or polish his game over the years) has hurt him more than anything. Now, he's losing athleticism, and people are actually questioning whether or not he's better than Westbrook in this series. Really? I mean, in December, we were still talking about how Wade is a top three player...but maybe it was us desperately trying to convince people he's just tired, or injured.

What's going to happen when LeBron starts feeling it? What happened with Iverson?

LeBron may be the best player in the NBA right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want him over Durant, if I'm looking to build a dynasty.

• Like 1