The curious case of OJ Mayo

Can someone please explain how you go from being a 19-4-3 rookie on nice percentages (for a rookie), to being bench fodder and almost dealt for an 8th man like Josh McRoberts, in the matter of 2 seasons?

I don't watch the Grizzlies hardly ever, and I just want to know what people think about him. Is he a lost cause? Need a change of scenery? He is 24 years old now, due up for a new contract, what the hell should Memphis do with him?

• Owner

He was put on the bench, and it hurt his confidence. He probably feels uncomfortable coming off the bench, probably a bit cold once he gets out there (explains the poor shooting), and some players just can't do that, mentally or physically.

In addition, he has to play the two, but defend the PG's coming back down the court (he defends that position far better than any other, usually has trouble with the bigger two-guards).

Mayo needs relocated, that's all. If given the opportunity and used correctly, he can be a productive player. The same way I feel about Tyreke Evans, really.

This year in particular, he was forced to be more of an "instant offense threat" off the bench, which led to his poor efficiency ratings across the board. He's become a better defender, and actually created well for others off the dribble, but he still takes a lot of jumpers and doesn't get to the FT line much.

He's not quick enough to beat people off the dribble nor is he big enough to dominate the position imo. He has become a much improved defender but he's just too inconsistent as a jumpshooter and his inability to get to the rim and draw fouls really limits his scoring abilities.

At this point a change of scenery would be best for him. I really think getting extended minutes and a starting spot on a roster can improve his confidence and hopefully his productivity. The Grizzles just have too much talent playing ahead of him.

I'd gladly swap Landry Fields for him. :lol:

I agree with RD, a change of scenery would probably really help him. He'll play better once he is in the final year of his contract, too, I'm sure.