GM4: Oklahoma City at Miami

Real Deal

The amount of hate Westbrook is getting is mind-blowing to me. I don't know, the guy played a helluva game. That was a bonehead play to foul Chalmers after losing the tip, no doubt, but the rest of his game was nothing short of brilliant tonight...and he hasn't been that bad in the other games in this series.

He is what he is...he's not Rajon Rondo, he's a different type of player, and I think he's tremendous.

He's the best player on the Thunder, period.

well that is what is weird. he drained that three, missed a shot, and then couldn't move...

Well he didn't move to take those shots either...he caught an outlet pass and banked it in immediately, and then he walked to the three point line and got lucky, the other three was just a straight air ball because he was just standing in place.

Well, in my eyes, if someone is going to bash Westbrook for not creating, you also have to expect it from Durant (which I've done). One of them has to do it.

I think Russell was stellar scoring the ball, no gripes here, although I still don't like some of the blown layups that I think he should kick the ball out on...but I can't ignore what he didn't do on the defensive end.

But, I say that...and I also have to mention the lack of defense Durant played.

Well, he's not perfect, lol. He's going to miss some of those layups, the guy is like, what, 6'2" flying in against guys close to 7' tall, with some contact...he's going to miss some contested layups. But that's his game. He's aggressive, takes quick shots in transition sometimes, but that's the way he plays and I think you can win with him.

He's the best player on the Thunder, period.

I disagree, lol, but he's a lot closer than people give him credit for. I think Rose is slightly better than Westbrook, but I was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio the other day and he was spot on on what he said...the media and fans have this obsession for D-Rose, but seem to love to go after Westbrook in such a negative way.

• Owner

Westbrook was actually known to be the better defender (between him and Rose), but I'm wondering if Westbrook is just getting far too tired in this series, because he's not closing out on shooters, losing his man a bit easier, etc. When he doubles on LeBron (just an example, he doesn't do it THAT much), he gambles, hoping to get the steal...and sometimes, players gamble for those steals because of fatigue, and they become content with letting Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole launch threes.

Westbrook was actually known to be the better defender (between him and Rose), but I'm wondering if Westbrook is just getting far too tired in this series, because he's not closing out on shooters, losing his man a bit easier, etc. When he doubles on LeBron (just an example, he doesn't do it THAT much), he gambles, hoping to get the steal...and sometimes, players gamble for those steals because of fatigue, and they become content with letting Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole launch threes.

That's certainly a part of his game I have not been impressed with in this series.

• Owner

Anyone else catch Wade yelling, "You mother [expletive]er," maybe 2-3 times at the end of the game, walking to the locker room? They didn't edit it on ABC, and it was clear as day, with the camera in his face. I couldn't believe it.

I think I like LeBron more than Wade now. Didn't think I'd say that.

• Owner

This reporter just said he was reminded of Willis Reed, when LeBron came back into the game injured. WTF.

LMAO, ESPN just apologized, on behalf of sports media, to Willis Reed. :lol:

Anyone else catch Wade yelling, "You mother [expletive]er," maybe 2-3 times at the end of the game, walking to the locker room? They didn't edit it on ABC, and it was clear as day, with the camera in his face. I couldn't believe it.

I think I like LeBron more than Wade now. Didn't think I'd say that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWmwu079NE

Edited by AboveLegit
  • Like 1

I'm still not going to rule the Thunder out. I know a team has never come back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals but there's just something this Thunder team. Maybe this is just the "Heat hater" in me speaking but the Thunder have been resilient all post season.

You can bet that Durant is going to come out firing next game especially after he gets chewed out my the media for being so hesitant and uninvolved in the second half. And I'm still waiting for Harden to have a breakout game, I hope he can get things turned around.

• Owner

I'm still not going to rule the Thunder out.

I can't rule them out, either, because I saw the Thunder win four consecutive games against the Spurs.

But, with that said, the Heat like to run just as much as the Thunder do, so there isn't much to expose in this series, especially when OKC's slight size advantage does nothing for them without both low and high post scoring by their bigs.

getting someone like jason kidd to help westbrook isn't what he needs. he is a shoot first point guard, ala guys like allen iverson and derrick rose. nothing is going to change that until he physically breaks down. someone like fisher is actually what he needs, but he doesn't seem to be learning from fisher's bonehead plays.

While I agree they aren't anywhere close to the player Kidd is, that doesn't mean having Kidd as a mentor wouldn't help him out tremendously.

Westbrook will never be a pass first point guard like Kidd is, nor do I think anybody expects him to develop into that kind of a player, but that doesn't mean he can't learn how to pick his spots better, manage the game better and improve as a playmaker by having Kidd on the roster.

It would help his game a lot to work with a guy like that despite their very different styles.

Westbrook had it going sure, but there's no reason for Durant to be taking so many contested jumpers. He needs to get in the lane and post up more often. I can't even count the number of plays Battier denied Durant the ball, and KD did absolutely nothing to counter it. If his rebounding numbers don't convince you, I don't know what to tell you.

Problem is that Durant has no post game. You can throw him in the post, but when great defenders like James and Battier are guarding him they will push him out so far from the block and make him catch the ball too far away to actually post up. Even if he does get position, what exactly does his post game consist of? Turning and shooting over the top and a fadeaway jumper. That is it.

Even if you want to use him in the post as a magnet to draw the defense in (sort of like how Miami used LeBron in the first half) it doesn't work because he doesn't have the vision or passing ability to find the open man off of the double despite his ability to see over the top.

Last season after losing in the Finals James realized how important a post game is and added it to his game over the summer. I'm sure Durant will do the same, after how Miami has basically gotten a 3-1 lead by controlling the post game.

What a horrid game from Durant. Despite not guarding LeBron (which is beyond me),

It really isn't that hard to understand why Durant wasn't guarding LeBron to start the game. He can't and because he can't, he is always picking up cheap fouls. Durant has the physical tools to guard LeBron, but he just doesn't have the instincts and mental capacity to guard him without picking up fouls.

It was either take your chances with Sefolosha guarding him (and Harden, I guess, but that was just a stupid move putting him on James) or leaving Durant on him and watch him get into foul trouble for the 3rd straight game.

The Thunder really need to consider running more zone, that's the only chance they have of containing Lebron. I don't get why Scott Brooks is so damn hesitant to do that. Also the Thuder just need to be more discipline. Westbrook and Fisher in particular were overplaying on the double teams. They need to do a better job picking up guys in transition and closing out hard on shooters. There were just too many possessions where they got lazy. There's no more room for mistake now.

Edited by Simba

if the Thunder can get big games out of two of their three stars, they will win. we saw it in game one. if they don't, they will lose by a slim margin(game 2, 3, and 4). harden was good in the first half of game 2, but it wasn't enough to be a big game. he has been nonexistent in games 3 and 4. westbrook was the only one that really showed up tonight with Durant unable to go off. if Westbrook/Durant/Harden can combine for 70 points, there is no reason why they shouldn't blow the Heat out. of course, Miami's defense has been too good for that thus far

The thunder aren't getting much from anyone besides their big two. And that may be because of home court. But there's absolutely no reason for harden not to show up. He was the reason why I would put thunder over the heat but I've never expected this kind of harden that lacks so much confidence. Credit the Miami defense but harden is choking on his own beard.

Also Lebron in the post is all the heat have ever needed to do. Even though his post game isn't great, it's versatile and threatening. If there's ever a season where he stops going to the post or defers to wade, it won't be a great season. This is probably the most valuable lesson the heat learned probably at the end if the Boston series

if the Thunder can get big games out of two of their three stars, they will win. we saw it in game one. if they don't, they will lose by a slim margin(game 2, 3, and 4). harden was good in the first half of game 2, but it wasn't enough to be a big game. he has been nonexistent in games 3 and 4. westbrook was the only one that really showed up tonight with Durant unable to go off. if Westbrook/Durant/Harden can combine for 70 points, there is no reason why they shouldn't blow the Heat out. of course, Miami's defense has been too good for that thus far

game 4, kd, YNB - 71 points

game 2, all three - 80 points

heat are just better, lebron is too hungry and just proving that his by far the best player. durant is to weak and soft he cant get position and his getting bullied. perk is utterly useless ibaka is a non factor because his having to guard bosh or shane and the rest of the team isnt producing, we're not getting the calls we normally would and its affecting us mentally. series is a wrap as far as im concerned

So Durant can't cover Chalmers either, I wonder who they will put him on now.

Lebron seems to be the clear cut best player in the world.

He is covering whomever they need him too.

Plus dominating the game in every fashion including the post.

• Owner

So Durant can't cover Chalmers either, I wonder who they will put him on now.

Durant probably needs to be on LeBron, but the Thunder have to show help early, and turn James into a jumpshooter. Durant is one of the better players in the league at contesting jumpshots, and with LeBron shooting 8-36 (in his last 36 jumpers, prior to Game 4...and I believe he shot 4-11 last night), that's what needs to happen.

It's mind-blowing to me that OKC doesn't wrap a zone around James, like every [expletive]ing team does Kobe (and has done with him for years). I know they are afraid of the pass, because James is an excellent passer...but damn, force the role players to step up and beat you. Cut the head off of the snake. There's no need to let LeBron get deep into the post, or come off a weak screen and get right to the rim, every single play he wants.

If this was one-on-one at the park, it makes sense...but in a professional sport, with four others on the court, you can stop LeBron from getting to the rim (like you can anyone)...you just have to know the consequences, and prepare to recover better on the defensive end.

Durant probably needs to be on LeBron, but the Thunder have to show help early, and turn James into a jumpshooter. Durant is one of the better players in the league at contesting jumpshots, and with LeBron shooting 8-36 (in his last 36 jumpers, prior to Game 4...and I believe he shot 4-11 last night), that's what needs to happen.

It's mind-blowing to me that OKC doesn't wrap a zone around James, like every [expletive]ing team does Kobe (and has done with him for years). I know they are afraid of the pass, because James is an excellent passer...but damn, force the role players to step up and beat you. Cut the head off of the snake. There's no need to let LeBron get deep into the post, or come off a weak screen and get right to the rim, every single play he wants.

If this was one-on-one at the park, it makes sense...but in a professional sport, with four others on the court, you can stop LeBron from getting to the rim (like you can anyone)...you just have to know the consequences, and prepare to recover better on the defensive end.

Easier said than done. He's playing with two other all-world players in Wade and Bosh. He's not playing with me, you, and lkr as his teammates. :lol: