Paul declines extension

This doesn't mean that he is leaving.

He can get more money by signing next year as opposed to signing an extension right now.

Deron did the same thing as he did and most people believe that Williams will be staying with the Nets and the Clippers have a much more appealing foundation than the Nets do.

Obviously it is never a good thing to have uncertainty around a player like Paul, but I wouldn't use him not signing an extension right now as any sort of guarantee he is going to leave or won't stay with the Clippers.

He may be looking at NY as an option too. I know he's very good friends with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire, as well as Tyson Chandler. I think after this next year if it is apparent the Knicks need a PG to have any hope of ever competing for a championship in the next 5 years(realistically speaking, is going to be the case), Paul may jump on board.

He may be looking at NY as an option too. I know he's very good friends with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire, as well as Tyson Chandler. I think after this next year if it is apparent the Knicks need a PG to have any hope of ever competing for a championship in the next 5 years(realistically speaking, is going to be the case), Paul may jump on board.

How do you figure the Knicks being able to afford Paul if Melo, Amare and Chandler are all making over $15M per year?

Anyway, as BFT said, this is a non-story. Besides the money, I'm sure he also wants to see if management will make the moves necessary to make the team a contender. As we all know, Sterling and the Clippers organization isn't exactly known for breaking the bank to improve the team, and aren't known for making the smartest decisions.

This doesn't mean that he is leaving.

He can get more money by signing next year as opposed to signing an extension right now.

Deron did the same thing as he did and most people believe that Williams will be staying with the Nets and the Clippers have a much more appealing foundation than the Nets do.

Obviously it is never a good thing to have uncertainty around a player like Paul, but I wouldn't use him not signing an extension right now as any sort of guarantee he is going to leave or won't stay with the Clippers.

I actually realized this after I read the LATimes article that ESPN cited. Can Paul opt out this offseason?

NBA PM: Chris Paul Committed to Clippers

When free agency opened on Sunday, Chris Paul was one of the first players to receive a contract offer. The Los Angeles Clippers contacted him almost immediately, offering a three-year, $60 million extension. While Paul turned down the offer, it doesn’t mean his days in Los Angeles are numbered. The 27-year-old will put off signing a new contract until next July, when he’s eligible to ink a five-year, $110-million extension with the Clippers.

While there has already been speculation that Paul will bolt to join fellow 2013 unrestricted free agent Dwight Howard on a new team such as the Atlanta Hawks or Houston Rockets, the superstar point guard seems committed to the Clippers. Even though he didn’t put pen to paper, he’s going about his business as if he expects to be in Los Angeles for years to come.

Over the past three days, Paul has been aggressively recruiting for the Clippers, contacting free agents and attempting to sell them on the situation. His pitch has been convincing, with talk about the promising future in Los Angeles and opportunity to compete for a championship. While most players have one foot out the door as free agency looms, Paul is working the phones and planning face-to-face meetings with potential teammates.

Full Story