Joe Johnson traded to the Brooklyn Nets

Sources confirm Hawks and Nets have agreed to terms on deal to send Joe Johnson to Nets. Deal contingent on Deron Williams staying w/Nets

Nets would send Jordan Williams, Petro, Farmar, Morrow and a sign-and-trade of Stevenson for Joe Johnson, sources tell Y!

https://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

• Owner
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Nets would send Jordan Williams, Petro, Farmar, Morrow and a sign-and-trade of Stevenson for Joe Johnson, sources tell Y!

So much for Dwight in free agency.

• Owner

So right now, the Nets' roster looks like this:

C - Brook Lopez ($4.19 million)

PF -

SF - Gerald Wallace ($10 million)

SG - Joe Johnson ($19.8 million)

PG -

BENCH

SG - Marshon Brooks ($1.2 million)

Like it -- sort of. Still think we can find a way for Dwight considering everything that has been going on. If he doesn't sign an extension through the season, we have an entire season to find the space for someone who "wants" to play in Brooklyn.

Love moving Brooks to the bench. Don't think we've had someone of his talent coming off the bench in a very, very long time.

Only thing that really concerns me is we are trying to build a championship roster and avoiding Dwight could hurt. He wants to be on a winner to so giving up hope on him and allowing him to go to Lakers or another powerhouse could have similar results to our back-to-back Finals trips.

No-Show Joe is gone, though! :o

Yeah, but I gotta give credit where credit is due man. While he was often times a no-show in many important games, he was excellent in others.

Thing that bothers me the most is the fact that we are giving up a 6-time All-Star for scrubs and a protected lottery pick, BUT, at least we can start rebuilding this team.

WHY!?!?!

First. they overpay a 30 year old, 10 year veteran for 4 years, and now trade essentially all their secondary assets (expirings, draft picks) for a guy that's been on the decline for years and has the WORST contract in the NBA. Dude is set to make over $20M through 2016, I believe.

Even if the Nets can still manage to somehow resign Deron and trade for Dwight via Lopez/Brooks/draft picks/whatever else, or a straightup signing next offseason, I still don't think this is a great signing. JJ and Wallace alone are going to command over $35M per year over the next 4 seasons, and neither of them have ANY upside...they are both on the decline, and both aren't even stars. Wallace is a role player (a very, very good one), and JJ is a borderline All-Star. Now it is going to be damn near impossible to sign both Deron and Dwight, which was extremely likely heading into FA. And for what? Two role players? Amd if they manage one of those guys to come to the Nets, that team won't have a chance at beating Miami, and probably not even Chicago or Boston (for the next 1-2 years, anyway), or a number of WC teams.

SMH. Billy King needs to GO!

• Owner

I'm not going to say Dwight to Brooklyn is impossible. It can be done, even right now...but Orlando would be dumb to accept Joe Johnson.

Johnson can't be traded in a package for 60 days or so, but he can be dealt immediately to Orlando, for Howard (which won't happen).

In a few months, the Nets can deal Johnson, Lopez and Brooks to the Magic...for Howard and Glen Davis (just throwing names out there for fun, Brooks doesn't have to be included).

I never thought Howard would become a free agent and sign with the Nets, anyway. I always figured the Magic would trade him.

I'm not going to say Dwight to Brooklyn is impossible. It can be done, even right now...but Orlando would be dumb to accept Joe Johnson.

Johnson can't be traded in a package for 60 days or so, but he can be dealt immediately to Orlando, for Howard (which won't happen).

In a few months, the Nets can deal Johnson, Lopez and Brooks to the Magic...for Howard and Glen Davis (just throwing names out there for fun, Brooks doesn't have to be included).

I never thought Howard would become a free agent and sign with the Nets, anyway. I always figured the Magic would trade him.

I see no reason why the Magic would trade for JJ. One of their primary goals if they trade Dwight is to dump the awful contracts of guys like Hedo so they can speed up the rebuilding process. Why would they take on the worst contract in the league...one that is for a guy who has never been a superstar and is on the decline?

God damn Billy King. Damn him to hell.

^ hahaha

interesting move. Prokohrav (?) obviously has no problem writing the checks for years to come for JJ, but he can really help make this a surefire brooklyn playoff team that has a nice chance of reeling in players in the future

• Owner

I see no reason why the Magic would trade for JJ. One of their primary goals if they trade Dwight is to dump the awful contracts of guys like Hedo so they can speed up the rebuilding process. Why would they take on the worst contract in the league...one that is for a guy who has never been a superstar and is on the decline?

God damn Billy King. Damn him to hell.

I know. I'm just putting it out there. If Orlando was really, really high on Lopez and Brooks (with a future first and, uh...maybe a re-signed Gerald Green?), then taking on Joe Johnson may not be a big deal to them if they can find a way to get rid of Hedo next summer (he'll take his PO, and will be an expiring) or if they just buy his ass out.

I'm trying to make sense of it, that's all. I doubt they will want Johnson or Wallace...no point in it...but it's definitely not impossible for the Nets to land Howard, like Broussard is pointing out.

Surrendering a pick en route to taking on an ugly contract makes little sense to me. But what's done is done. At least we'll be good again, one way or another.

On Atlanta's end, Josh Smith trade may be necessary in the near future. And they'll have a load of cap space in 2013.

I'm trying to make sense of it, that's all. I doubt they will want Johnson or Wallace...no point in it...but it's definitely not impossible for the Nets to land Howard, like Broussard is pointing out.

It's not impossible to sign Howard, it just makes things so much more difficult. And let's say they DO somehow land Dwight and Deron...JJ is a declining and a borderline All-Star with like 4-5 more $20-25M years on his contract. That is just an insanely bad contract. Billy King might be thinking that bring in a big name like that will help fill the seats and maybe attract Deron and/or Dwight, but it is an awful move from a basketball stadnpoint. You can add so mich depth or a few quality, yoinger role players for that price. Besides, Dwight has made it crystal clear through sources and his own mouth (read his recent quotes from the Woj article yesterday) that he wants to go to Brooklyn. So why would they do ANYTHING to help [expletive] up their chances of landing him. And even with JJ, I doubt that will be enough for Deron to stay unless it is a sure-fire thing that Dwight is coming. If that's the case, then that will make this one of the worst deals in NBA history.

Billy King? He's been here two years and got us a top three point guard, second team all-rookie and two quality starters in this league. Does nobody remember the days of Alonzo Mourning and Shareef Abdur-Rahim? Magic won't give us Dwight so are we going to overpay Lin, Green or someone else? Least he's trying to improve this team rather than hoping Sean Williams and Terrence Williams pan out.