Joe Johnson traded to the Brooklyn Nets

Billy King? He's been here two years and got us a top three point guard, second team all-rookie and two quality starters in this league. Does nobody remember the days of Alonzo Mourning and Shareef Abdur-Rahim? Magic won't give us Dwight so are we going to overpay Lin, Green or someone else? Least he's trying to improve this team rather than hoping Sean Williams and Terrence Williams pan out.

The worst thing you can do in the NBA, especially under the new CBA, is hand out max, long-term deals to guys past their prime. JJ and Wallace alone will take up over half the cap for the next 4 years, and neither guys are stars and are both on the decline. Those two contracts make it so much trickier to bring Dwight in, and without some kind of guarantee that Dwight stays, there is a good chance Deron bolts to a perrenial contender like Dallas. And if that scenario plays out where they get neither, then they are stick with two bad contracts, not a ton of draft picks or young prospects, and will likely be just good enough to stay out of a top 5 pick each year. That is just about the worst position you can be in as a franchise.

And even if they are able to get just Deron or Dwight, that is a 1st or 2nd round knockout every year, and with these contracts they will have little room to make big improvements to the roster.

JJ is a very good player, but there is a reason why Atlanta traded him for basically nothing, and it isn't because of injury or bad attitude...for what he is, he is not worth the money he is getting, and at his age he is definitely not worth 4-5 more years of $20-25M annually.

The worst thing you can do in the NBA, especially under the new CBA, is hand out max, long-term deals to guys past their prime. JJ and Wallace alone will take up over half the cap for the next 4 years, and neither guys are stars and are both on the decline. Those two contracts make it so much trickier to bring Dwight in, and without some kind of guarantee that Dwight stays, there is a good chance Deron bolts to a perrenial contender like Dallas. And if that scenario plays out where they get neither, then they are stick with two bad contracts, not a ton of draft picks or young prospects, and will likely be just good enough to stay out of a top 5 pick each year. That is just about the worst position you can be in as a franchise.

And even if they are able to get just Deron or Dwight, that is a 1st or 2nd round knockout every year, and with these contracts they will have little room to make big improvements to the roster.

JJ is a very good player, but there is a reason why Atlanta traded him for basically nothing, and it isn't because of injury or bad attitude...for what he is, he is not worth the money he is getting, and at his age he is definitely not worth 4-5 more years of $20-25M annually.

By all reports, Deron had some say in this deal. I'd rather have overpaid talent than overpaid bums like Outlaw and Petro and the whole point is to aim to make the playoffs. If Nets have a second round knockout this season I don't see how you can consider it a fail when just two years ago we sat on 12 wins. I don't know what everyone expects the Nets to do. Good players are expensive asset wise and we got him for pretty much nothing.

Honestly the worst thing this franchise could do is have another season like the previous, especially moving into enemy ground that boasts the likes of Amare and Carmelo.

By all reports, Deron had some say in this deal. I'd rather have overpaid talent than overpaid bums like Outlaw and Petro and the whole point is to aim to make the playoffs. If Nets have a second round knockout this season I don't see how you can consider it a fail when just two years ago we sat on 12 wins. I don't know what everyone expects the Nets to do. Good players are expensive asset wise and we got him for pretty much nothing.

Honestly the worst thing this franchise could do is have another season like the previous, especially moving into enemy ground that boasts the likes of Amare and Carmelo.

The thing is that Dwight has said he wants to come to Brooklyn, via sources and his own mouth, therefor making the obstacles a lot greater to get him is stupid. Also, from a basketball standpoint it makes little sense. JJ is a very good player, but his contracts alone will take up over 1/3 of the cap every year. You can get a LOT of value with that money, and to spend it on a single player who is barely an All-Star and will be WAY past his prime the final year or two of his contract is not a smart move.

Yes, we overpaid on bums in the past, but that is not the standard which you should hold future deals to. And if the Deron/Dwight moves fall through, then the Nets are stuck with the worst contract in the league, another bad contract, an injury plagued Center, and will have lost all those amazing rebuilding assets they had a year or two ago before bringing in Deron and Wallace.

The thing is that Dwight has said he wants to come to Brooklyn, via sources and his own mouth, therefor making the obstacles a lot greater to get him is stupid. Also, from a basketball standpoint it makes little sense. JJ is a very good player, but his contracts alone will take up over 1/3 of the cap every year. You can get a LOT of value with that money, and to spend it on a single player who is barely an All-Star and will be WAY past his prime the final year or two of his contract is not a smart move.

Yes, we overpaid on bums in the past, but that is not the standard which you should hold future deals to. And if the Deron/Dwight moves fall through, then the Nets are stuck with the worst contract in the league, another bad contract, an injury plagued Center, and will have lost all those amazing rebuilding assets they had a year or two ago before bringing in Deron and Wallace.

He wants to come but doesn't mean he will be traded here. Clearly the Nets have been working non-stop since it was known back during the season that he wanted to be in Brooklyn but two GM's have turned the Nets offers down. Kobe Bryant could want to play in Brooklyn too but if the man in charge of a player under contract says no, then that is the answer.

Rebuilding heading into Brooklyn was out of the question. Our owner made a bold statement on the goal to winning a championship and these are pieces to improve the team. I'm not one of those guys that says we have a rich owner and can do what we want but this trade improves our team for next year. Johnson is arguably one of the best shooting guards the Nets have seen in years yet people concentrate on his contract rather than what he actually may bring.

Nets averaged a total of 93 points per game last season and if they are able to resign Deron, the three players average 55 points between them. Add that with a healthy Lopez and at least you have a stepping stone to a playoff team.

Well you guys can argue all you want, but own here in Atlanta, I am going insane! THANK YOU DANNY FERRY. Send off JJ and Marvin in the same day, it's almost like a dream come true. Now, if we can just get something decent back for Josh Smith and just start rebuilding I will be happy. Enough of this 1st round knockout shit. I don't care if we suck next year because we are going to have cap room and a GM who is going to make sure that we get the best pieces back we can.

Nets looking at Big Three of D-Will, Dwight and Joe Johnson

By Chris Sheridan

The Nets remain very much in the hunt for Dwight Howard — even after agreeing to the outline of a trade that will bring Joe Johnson to Brooklyn.

The goal is to have a Big Three of Deron Williams, Dwight Howard and Johnson, and it remains doable if the Magic are willing to play ball, a league source tells

Orlando would have to accept a package of Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace, MarShon Brooks and multiple future first-round draft picks, and the Howard deal would take the form of a massive sign-and-trade.

Wallace has already agreed in principle to a four-year, $40 million deal, and the outlines of deals with Lopez and Humphries would have to take shape before the deal could be agreed upon.

Howard has reiterated his insistence that Orlando trade him to Brooklyn, and he told Yahoo Sports that any other team that acquired him would be getting him only as a one-year rental.

Williams met with the Mavericks earlier Tuesday before meeting with the Nets just as they were completing the Johnson deal, in which they agreed to give up a first-round draft pick (Houston’s, lottery protected) along with the expiring contracts of Johan Petro, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Williams and Jordan Farmar, including DeShawn Stevenson in the deal through a sign-and-trade.

Williams has said he wants to make a decision on his future before reporting for Team USA training camp in Las Vegas later this week.

It is not known what kind of a timetable the Magic are on, or whether they believe they could get a better offer from a team willing to take on the risk of acquiring Howard and then losing him as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Also, depending on the size of the salaries negotiated for Lopez and Humphries, the Nets could have the means to take back an extra player from Orlando, perhaps Hedo Turkoglu, perhaps Glen Davis.

Brooklyn owns its own draft picks from 2013 through 2018, and if they throw in several of them, it is hard to see Orlando getting a better deal from a third team.

www.SheridanHoops.com

All checks out to me hold GWall actually being a valuable piece to Orlando, idk why they would want that bad of a contract, maybe if there was a third team?

Edited by fish7718

Joe Johnson is one of the more overrated players in the NBA. He's not worth a max contract IMO. He's not a superstar. He's an all-star player, which IMO, all-star players don't deserve the absolute max because it bogs down your franchise in the long run with that 20 million a year you have to shell out for a guy who isn't an absolute major impact player like a Durant, Kobe, or LeBron. Don't get me wrong, Johnson is nice, and a trio of D-will, JJ, and Dwight, combined with Gerald Wallce and Marshon Brooks is very enticing and is easily a top 5 team in the NBA...Maybe top 3. But if it's D-Will, JJ, Wallace, they are only a playoff team. They are probably a 5-6 seed which I don't see competing for a championship. They are on the level of Indiana at best IMO.

I don't really get the trade. Especially if they have no plan/money to acquire Dwight Howard now...

Well you guys can argue all you want, but own here in Atlanta, I am going insane! THANK YOU DANNY FERRY. Send off JJ and Marvin in the same day, it's almost like a dream come true. Now, if we can just get something decent back for Josh Smith and just start rebuilding I will be happy. Enough of this 1st round knockout shit. I don't care if we suck next year because we are going to have cap room and a GM who is going to make sure that we get the best pieces back we can.

I think it's a great trade for both sides IMO. Nets are trying to make as much noise entering their first season as they can and they've clearly did it with the Johnson and Wallace deals while Atlanta clears cap space and also gets a heck of a player in Morrow too. Jordan Williams was having a great end of the season run and would make a semi-decent backup on a rebuilding team.