Hawes Returns

Ugh. Awful. Not going to cripple us, but what an incredibly dumb use of $13 million.

#mediocrity

It's not all that bad. 6.5 million a year for a legit young starting center is solid. He was having a solid year before his injury.

Did they not just re-sign LaVoy Allen and draft 2 bigs?

This just goes to my point in the lockout thread. Some of these GM's just can't help themselves in overvaluing some role players. How in the hell is a guy like Hawes worth 6.5 mil a year?

It's not all that bad. 6.5 million a year for a legit young starting center is solid. He was having a solid year before his injury.

Haha, I'd say you are massively overrating him. Yes he was fine for the first 6 or 7 games of the season, but I'd argue that was because he shot a ridiculous, unsustainable field goal percentage. Covered up the rest of his flaws (yes, there are a lot of them). I mean, there is a reason Hawes was essentially benched for all key minutes in the playoffs in favor of a guy 4 inches shorter than him.

This signing doesn't make sense for a team in our position. It just reeks of a management group that is fine with running in neutral and not making progress. Sure, $13 million over 2 years is a fair price for a below average starting center, I guess, but what is the point? Seems like they are just spending money for the hell of it. The team is no better for this move. We'd be better off giving Hawes's minutes to some combination of Vucevic/Allen/cheap-free-agent-X and saving the money. Let Spencer be somebody else's problem.