14 players involved in Dwight trade

The Regime

Otis Smith even worse

if Shaq was a GM I guarantee he would orchestrate a trade where he would get 2 superstars in return along with multiple 1st round draft picks that would be unprotected.

Shaq was a police officer, NBA player, sheriff, actor, rapper, GM, motivator, mentor and a father

Lol...No. Dwight only wants BK. How are they getting two superstars in return along with multiple 1st round picks?

Those first-rounders from Brooklyn are going to be late firsts, and just two of them. The Clippers' pick will also be in the 20's.

So, when the dust clears, you're essentially trading Howard for Brook Lopez' max contract and a stack of players you may not have (or that may not be in your rotation) 2-3 years from now.

Pretty much. And a max for Lopez? Jeez, might as well sign the best player at your local YMCA the max contract. Smfh.

The fact that Orlando refuses to take Marshon Brooks is flat out laughable Magic fans need to start a petition to get this dude fired ASAP. Bynum as someone stated in this thread is better then all that piece of shit Orlando is receiving in this deal.

Yeah, seriously. What's wrong with Marshon Brooks? His game is pretty nice IMO. He's smooth as hell, good fundamental player, and he can score. I don't get it.

• Owner

Didn't really think about this, but...

"BYC" technically no longer exists, but it was replaced by an identical rule that only applies to S&Ted players. And since I don't know the name of that rule, I'm going to call it BYC.

Essentially, if a player is S&Ted and their new salary is greater than 125% of their previous salary, then their salary in a trade(in terms of matching salaries between teams) isn't their new salary; it's the greater of half their new salary or 125% of their old one.

So lets say the Nets wanted to S&T Brook Lopez with a new 16m contract(in reality, he legally can't get anything close to that). Ok, fine. His incoming value for Orlando, so what Orlando would have to match with, is 16m. But his outgoing salary from Brooklyn is just 8m, so they could only receive 10m in salary in return. Any more than that, and the trade is illegal.

The currently listed trade has Lopez, Gaines, Williams and James all becoming BYC players, and all of them would have to get big enough raises that their outgoing trade value would only be half of whatever their new salary is. The apparent idea is that Brooklyn would get around that by dumping a monstrously large one year deal for Humphries to Cleveland, who can use their CAP space to just absorb Humphries, but if Humphries gets more than 10m a year, HE becomes a BYC player, and then the only way they can get his outgoing value above 10m is by giving him a contract in excess of 20m, and holy **** why are people buying any of this?

It's a post from an Orlando Magic forum.

• Owner

Even if it somehow works out, I can't believe the Gasol/Odom for CP3 trade was vetoed...yet, the Howard/Lopez deal is going to roll on through.

I understand that Stern does not own the Magic, but yeah.

Why would Orlando not want Brooks? He was one of the best rookies last season...

If I'm the Magic I wait. If we get Bynum, do it, but if not, make Dwight stay there all next season He opted in, he can deal with it.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Lmao @ the "make Dwight stay" comments. He will play half-assed all year and cause even more turmoil in the locker room. At the end of the day, Dwight is going to get what he wants... whether it's fair or not

I'd rather stay in control of the situation than give in to this garbage deal. You're seriously telling me that what Orlando would get would make them that much better than if they just kept him this season and let him be a free agent?

IF I'm a GM, I'm insulted that this is the best route I can go. Magic are in control for a whole freaking season. Why rush a deal just for Dwight.

I'd rather stay in control of the situation than give in to this garbage deal. You're seriously telling me that what Orlando would get would make them that much better than if they just kept him this season and let him be a free agent?

IF I'm a GM, I'm insulted that this is the best route I can go. Magic are in control for a whole freaking season. Why rush a deal just for Dwight.

I'd rather get paid minimum wage than have no job. It's the same concept. Who gives a [expletive] if the GM is "insulted"? This isn't junior high. Running an NBA team is a business. You take the best offer on the table. No team is going to trade for Dwight without a commitment with a better offer than the Nets. And wtf are you going to do with all the cap room if he walks? Orlando isn't Miami, it's more like Cleveland. Superstar free agents aren't going to want to go there. Yeah, there is no tax in Florida. All that will happen is that they will overpay some mediocre player. I'm probably rambling but you get my point.

I'd rather get paid minimum wage than have no job. It's the same concept. Who gives a [expletive] if the GM is "insulted"? This isn't junior high. Running an NBA team is a business. You take the best offer on the table. No team is going to trade for Dwight without a commitment with a better offer than the Nets. And wtf are you going to do with all the cap room if he walks? Orlando isn't Miami, it's more like Cleveland. Superstar free agents aren't going to want to go there. Yeah, there is no tax in Florida. All that will happen is that they will overpay some mediocre player. I'm probably rambling but you get my point.

The thing is that the best deal between what Orlando is offering and letting Howard walk is the latter.

You can talk about how no free agent is going to sign in Orlando and stuff like that, but having cap room and the ability to make moves like Cleveland where you absorb salary to acquire additional draft picks that can later be used to move up in a draft or something like that is more valuable to a rebuilding team than committing a whole bunch of salary to average/above average players like what Orlando would be doing in this rumoured deal.

People crucify the Cavs for getting nothing in return for LeBron, but at the end of the day, they didn't get nothing for him, and I'm not even talking about the draft picks. By not taking overpaying and committing cap space to average/above average talent, they were able to have the cap flexibility to make the Baron Davis and 1st for Mo Williams trade. That led to them getting Kyrie Irving as well as also having another top 4 pick in that draft.

Then they were able to do it again at the deadline by abosrbing Luke Walton's deal to pick up the Lakers draft pick. With that pick, they were able to move up and get the guy that they wanted in Tyler Zeller.

Out of all the teams who lost a star these past few years (Denver, Toronto, Cleveland, Utah and New Orleans) I'd argue that the team with the brightest future is the Cavs (it is between them and the Hornets). Honestly, if they drafted smarter, (Valanciunas and Robinson instead of Thompson and Waiters) I don't think this is even a debate, but that is for another topic.

Sometimes just simply losing the player is better than desperately overpaying a lesser talent in hopes of replacing him. When you do that, you end up stuck with a treadmill team.

gsw always seem to be wanting to take a chance on a superstar, im sure they can offer something a little more tempting than this..

He won't play for them.

Why don't people seem to understand that the major reason he isn't being traded to LA or Golden State or wherever is because he will not sign an extension with any team besides the Brooklyn Nets..

• Owner

He won't play for them.

Why don't people seem to understand that the major reason he isn't being traded to LA or Golden State or wherever is because he will not sign an extension with any team besides the Brooklyn Nets..

The Warriors are still willing to give up pieces to get him...doesn't really matter his opinion at that point, because GSW still think they can convince him to sign the extension before the end of the upcoming season.

The only problem is, they aren't going to hand over Curry or anyone significant, and honestly, even though the Nets have a horrible deal on the table...it's probably better than the deal Golden State will put out there.

The Warriors are still willing to give up pieces to get him...doesn't really matter his opinion at that point, because GSW still think they can convince him to sign the extension before the end of the upcoming season.

The only problem is, they aren't going to hand over Curry or anyone significant, and honestly, even though the Nets have a horrible deal on the table...it's probably better than the deal Golden State will put out there.

Exactly.

You can not convince me GSW will give any valuable assets that are better than BK's offer without a commitment from Dwight. They will not kill any hope for their franchise for the next 5-10 years over one season with Howard.

The thing is that the best deal between what Orlando is offering and letting Howard walk is the latter.

You can talk about how no free agent is going to sign in Orlando and stuff like that, but having cap room and the ability to make moves like Cleveland where you absorb salary to acquire additional draft picks that can later be used to move up in a draft or something like that is more valuable to a rebuilding team than committing a whole bunch of salary to average/above average players like what Orlando would be doing in this rumoured deal.

They already have a lot salary committed to average players though. People are ignoring the fact that the Nets would have to take JRichs 18 million over 3 years (has a player option for the last year but he isn't going to turn down 6.6 mil lol) and Duhons 6 million over the next 2 years. Also the Magic would get rid of Q Rich's 5 million over the next 2 years.

People crucify the Cavs for getting nothing in return for LeBron, but at the end of the day, they didn't get nothing for him, and I'm not even talking about the draft picks. By not taking overpaying and committing cap space to average/above average talent, they were able to have the cap flexibility to make the Baron Davis and 1st for Mo Williams trade. That led to them getting Kyrie Irving as well as also having another top 4 pick in that draft.

I just used the Cavs because I was responding to CF's comment. You can replace Cleveland with any small market team in that sentence.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Cleveland is out as a third-team trade partner in a possible Orlando-Brooklyn deal for Dwight Howard, sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

If Brooklyn and Orlando are to make a deal for Howard in near-term, it will likely be a trade between the two teams, sources tell Y! Sports.

Kris Humphries would have been a good addition for 1 year, but that would have served his purpose. I like that the Cavs backed out because alot of GM's are protesting this trade and aren't doing any favors for the GM's involved.

• Owner

Nets want the deal done today, before Portland shoots an offer sheet at Lopez and screws it all up permanently.

Right now, Brooklyn is meeting with Lopez and his agent, asking about an extension and/or a sign-and-trade (either now, or sometime this afternoon).

Honestly, with Cleveland dropping out, I have no idea how this trade will get done THIS quickly.