Austin Rivers Playing the Point

Does anybody (other than the Hornets, I guess) actually think that this is a good idea?

I've seen plenty of Rivers games and not once have I ever seen anything that suggests to me that he is capable of playing the point. I know it is only the Summer League (and one game at that) but Rivers has shown no point guard instincts in the game against Portland either.

I just don't understand why you draft a guy like Rivers and try to force him into a role that clearly does not suit his game. Just because a guy has a tight handle and can shake his man doesn't mean he is a point guard.

Ultimately I think he becomes a Jamal Crawford 6th man type of player, but I was just curious if anybody actually thinks that he has any future playing the point.

• Owner

If you can't play the point in college, you sure the hell won't play it in the pros. I really have no idea what the Hornets are doing.

Maybe they have a plan to acquire a PG before the season starts? Maybe they will bring in a point-forward to come off the bench with Rivers at the point?

Right now, it doesn't make sense to me.

First 10 games as PG: more turnovers than Jeremy Lin's first 10?

Austin Rivers is definitely a 2-guard. His mindset is that, too. I watched 10 minutes of that summer league game last night, and saw him jack up about 5 three pointers in that 10 minutes,and pass maybe once. lol

If you can't play the point in college, you sure the hell won't play it in the pros. I really have no idea what the Hornets are doing.

Maybe they have a plan to acquire a PG before the season starts? Maybe they will bring in a point-forward to come off the bench with Rivers at the point?

The strange thing is its not like Coach K had Rivers playing the point in college anyways. He was a 2 guard through and through. Sure, he had the ball in his hands quite a bit but Curry and Cook were clearly the point guards when they were on the floor (even though their numbers wouldn't exactly suggest that they were). It would be one thing if he actually played the point in college and you are simply trying to continue that, but it is another when he never even played that position, is clearly suited to the 2 and you still are trying to mold him into a point.

As for your second point, that is another head scratcher. They had a very solid, reliable veteran point guard in Jarrett Jack and they just dumped him, presumably so that Rivers could be the starting point guard. His contract was more than reasonable ($5M expiring, I believe) and yet they just got rid of him for nothing. That would suggest to me that they have no plans of bringing in a PG prior to the season.

First 10 games as PG: more turnovers than Jeremy Lin's first 10?

It isn't even necessarily the turnovers. That isn't to say he won't have plenty of those because he will. Hell, he was getting flustered against a trapping Portland Summer League defense that resulted in at least 3 turnovers that I saw.

It is more the fact that he just looks confused out there. He has no feel for when he should shoot or pass and as the game went on you could see him reverting back to his natural instincts of shoot first, shoot second, shoot third and pass fourth. Even when he did have a drive into the paint where he forced the defense to collapse on him and actually did kick the ball out, he never managed to get the ball into the shooters pocket for an in rhythm jump shot.

He just does not have a point guards feel for the game and that would worry me a lot more than the turnovers. You can live with turnovers if the guy is making shit happen out there, but you can't live with a point guard who has no point guard instincts.

• 2 weeks later...

What's worse is that he has a broken jumper.

The latest on it --

Hornets' Rivers has foot surgery to remove spurs

NEW ORLEANS -- Hornets first-round draft pick Austin Rivers has had surgery to clean up bone spurs in his right ankle but is expected to be ready for the start of training camp. The Duke guard was taken 10th overall.

New Orleans said Friday that the injury flared up during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas last week.

Source