Linsanity is Officially Over for NYK

but now they won't give 3/25 to a guy who made them more relevant than they've been since they lost to the Spurs in the Finals

More brilliant front office moves from these guys.

you lost all credibility after this and i didn't even bother to read the rest of your posts in the thread. lmfao

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this isn't 2002 or 2008

a 39 year old drunk and a fatass pg

man i swear knicks r bout to be a reality tv show

2012 Stats:

Lin 3-Point %: .320

Kidd 3-Point %: .354

Lin Rebounds per game: 3.0

Kidd Rebounds per game: 4.1

Lin Turnovers per game: 3.6

Kidd Turnovers per game: 1.9

Lin Fouls per game: 2.2

Kidd Fouls per game: 1.7

Defensively it's not close.

So no, it's not 2002 or 2008.. it's 2012 and I was going off of this past season's numbers. Try harder.

• Owner

Jason Kidd is going to be better for the Knicks, in regards to deferring to Melo and Amare.

Felton is going to be a problem, and it's not just because he was out of shape last season. Denver tossed him aside, quickly (gave him maybe 20 games), because he wasn't doing anything with the ball, shooting bad shots on a team that had a lot of talent once they dealt Melo. Same with Portland, but he was also out of shape and lazy.

I still think it was a good idea the Knicks didn't match, but if they are looking at a long-term replacement for Lin, Felton is not going to be the answer.

By the way, while Jeremy Lin turned the ball over every single time I saw him on TV, and I actually thought he was overrated for a while...it was Melo and Amare's inability to play together that ultimately ruined this team. The Knicks will either live with the ball in Melo's hands, which takes Amare out of his game a bit more than he wants, or they will rely on a very good PG to facilitate and feed Melo when necessary, which reduces Melo's role from a superstar to an all-star.

Lin may have had little time to produce and earn his money, but high draft picks (ex. Kyrie Irving) come into the league with a season (in his case, less than a season) of college basketball under their belts, guaranteed money and around $5 million or so starting out, fifth year a QO of up to $9.7 million (all on the same contract...this is still Irving, by the way).

At some point, you have to go big or go home. The Knicks have so much talent, but nobody to bring it together. Felton isn't going to be that player moving on. Kidd can make it work for the next year or two, but they won't touch Miami or Chicago (healthy).

Why are people overlooking Kidd's lack of ability to get into the lane? Knicks thrive on dribble penetration. He's going to make some great skip passes to Amare and Melo, his passes will be more on target, but most of his passes are from the perimeter where he's basically surveying the floor like a QB.

Felton admits to Breen on @msgnetworks he was upset about being traded to Denver, “But I’m back home now.”

Felton also says he would have come to Knicks regardless of Lin situation because “this is where I wanted to be.”

Felton on @msgnetworks: “I won’t make no excuses, I wasn’t in shape [last season]….I’m looking fwd to this year and shutting everybody up.”

Felton says he is in shape now, could play right now. Really seemed to take to heart what’s being said about him.

All via Alan Hahn

He joined Breen and Frazier on commentary during the Raptors/Knicks SL game (which is where all those quotes came from) and it was actually a pretty entertaining couple of minutes. You could tell that he was fed up with all of the fat/out of shape comments and he got a bit heated when they were brought up. Went off on a bit of a tangent that I found pretty awesome.

He seemed very stoked about coming back to the Knicks, though.

Jason Kidd is going to be better for the Knicks, in regards to deferring to Melo and Amare.

Felton is going to be a problem, and it's not just because he was out of shape last season. Denver tossed him aside, quickly (gave him maybe 20 games), because he wasn't doing anything with the ball, shooting bad shots on a team that had a lot of talent once they dealt Melo. Same with Portland, but he was also out of shape and lazy.

I still think it was a good idea the Knicks didn't match, but if they are looking at a long-term replacement for Lin, Felton is not going to be the answer.

By the way, while Jeremy Lin turned the ball over every single time I saw him on TV, and I actually thought he was overrated for a while...it was Melo and Amare's inability to play together that ultimately ruined this team. The Knicks will either live with the ball in Melo's hands, which takes Amare out of his game a bit more than he wants, or they will rely on a very good PG to facilitate and feed Melo when necessary, which reduces Melo's role from a superstar to an all-star.

Lin may have had little time to produce and earn his money, but high draft picks (ex. Kyrie Irving) come into the league with a season (in his case, less than a season) of college basketball under their belts, guaranteed money and around $5 million or so starting out, fifth year a QO of up to $9.7 million (all on the same contract...this is still Irving, by the way).

At some point, you have to go big or go home. The Knicks have so much talent, but nobody to bring it together. Felton isn't going to be that player moving on. Kidd can make it work for the next year or two, but they won't touch Miami or Chicago (healthy).

Agree with most of it. Let's not forget Melo and Amar'e did have some success when Woodson got the job and both were healthy for a stretch of 10 games. They were like 8-2 or something. I think they can play together, they both need to remain healthy though...which people seem to forget, that has never really happened. The key IMO is Woodson getting Amar'e to have SOME TYPE of committment to defense and rebounding. He needs to sit STAT down and say, Look, Melo is our main scorer. We will need 18-22 PPG out of you each night, but what's more important is playing hard on defense and getting 8-10 RPG.

Felton may not be long term solution, but he's not a bad backup if Kidd gets the starting job. And don't sleep on this guy Prigoni. He seems like a very good floor general and passer, which in this Woodson-run system, seems like all you need out of a PG, really.

Why are people overlooking Kidd's lack of ability to get into the lane? Knicks thrive on dribble penetration. He's going to make some great skip passes to Amare and Melo, his passes will be more on target, but most of his passes are from the perimeter where he's basically surveying the floor like a QB.

Dude...stop talking about the dribble penetration. Sure, that is somewhat important in any offense, but Woodson's is going to be isolation heavy with Carmelo. We saw it all last April with Lin out, and it worked. We'll see it again with Kidd especially, and a lot with Felton.

ABL if you think we live off dribble kick you didn't watch much post-Mike D

...Exactly.

And if you think you can live with two PG's who aren't as effective getting into the lane you don't watch much basketball.

Why can't Raymond Felton get into the lane? Everyone wants to say he is fat and can't play right now. We haven't even seen him play in months. If he truly does get in better shape like he claims, and returns to the shape he was two years ago, he can get by defenders. He's not Steve Nash or CP3, but come on, Raymond Felton is a talented PG. People are starting to sleep a little on Felton. He's not Mike Bibby.

Dude...stop talking about the dribble penetration. Sure, that is somewhat important in any offense, but Woodson's is going to be isolation heavy with Carmelo. We saw it all last April with Lin out, and it worked. We'll see it again with Kidd especially, and a lot with Felton.

Just because it worked in April with Melo going nuts every night does NOT mean the Woodson offense was better than the D'Antoni offense which had more team ball-movement...the reason Woodson worked better as coach was because of his emphasis on defense. A Melo offense ain't gonna win you shit, and will completely negate Amare's impact totally since he will NEVER be an elite defender or rebounder.

Real Deal had it right when talking about Kidd...he will orchestrate the offense and limit Melo's touches and work to get everyone else good shots in their sweet spots. That doesn't mean he will eliminate Melo completely, and Melo will still have plenty nights where he drops over 30+. That is how you win with Melo...his time with Denver proved that.

As for Felton, Knicks fans are looking too much at his great streak of games to start that season, and not what he did after that. Knicks fans were KILLING him the last month or two before the Melo trade, and he was awful with Portland. Now that Felton will have to play in a worse system for PG's as opposed to the D'Antoni offense which is perfect for PG's, it is definitely a huge question mark as to whether he will perform. Of course he will be a thousand times better than the Knicks had last season before Lin emerged, but he definitely ain't a long-term answer if they want to be a contender.

Just because it worked in April with Melo going nuts every night does NOT mean the Woodson offense was better than the D'Antoni offense which had more team ball-movement...the reason Woodson worked better as coach was because of his emphasis on defense. A Melo offense ain't gonna win you shit, and will completely negate Amare's impact totally since he will NEVER be an elite defender or rebounder.

Real Deal had it right when talking about Kidd...he will orchestrate the offense and limit Melo's touches and work to get everyone else good shots in their sweet spots. That doesn't mean he will eliminate Melo completely, and Melo will still have plenty nights where he drops over 30+. That is how you win with Melo...his time with Denver proved that.

As for Felton, Knicks fans are looking too much at his great streak of games to start that season, and not what he did after that. Knicks fans were KILLING him the last month or two before the Melo trade, and he was awful with Portland. Now that Felton will have to play in a worse system for PG's as opposed to the D'Antoni offense which is perfect for PG's, it is definitely a huge question mark as to whether he will perform. Of course he will be a thousand times better than the Knicks had last season before Lin emerged, but he definitely ain't a long-term answer if they want to be a contender.

He doesn't have to drop 30+ per night. Amar'e is going to have to be a part of the offense, too. If he isn't, the Knicks are going nowhere. My point was that the offense is going to start with Carmelo given the ball on the wing/block, and go from there. With Lin, it started with him at the top of the key in a PnR situation, and then drive and kick from there. Felton can do a little of that, but we know Kidd won't do too much of that -- which is fine, because we aren't going to see near the PnR's we did last year.

As for Felton, he isn't a starting PG you're going to win a championship with...or contend for that matter. Unless Melo plays out of his mind, and Melo and Amar'e/Chandler somehow find great chemistry together where the PG position becomes irrelevant...which is like 99% unlikely to happen.

What it is basically going to come down to is Carmelo will have to play great next year, and Amar'e HAS to improve (both defensively and offensively, really) offensively because if he can't give you 20 ppg on 50% from the field, let's all be honest, he's [expletive]ing useless.

lol @ the thought of an isolation offense working for a full season. Seriously, good luck with that. And if you think Ray Felton is what he was 2 years ago, I don't know what to tell you.

And sorry if I'm over emphasizing the single most important aspect of this generations game, dribble penetration.

lol @ the thought of an isolation offense working for a full season.

Melo Nugs, Woodson Hawks were pretty good

And if you think Ray Felton is what he was 2 years ago, I don't know what to tell you.

I love how one lockout, Bon Bon eating fat season now defines Felton more than the rest of his career. Just wait.

And sorry if I'm over emphasizing the single most important aspect of this generations game, dribble penetration.

You're certainly acting as if Felton is incapable of it in an offense that won't feature it.

Melo Nugs,

What I said in my last post was that the Melo Nuggets were NOT an iso-oriented offense. Melo got his touches, but they didn't OD on it like the Knicks did last year when Lin wasn't running the show. The Nuggets offense was much like the Knicks offense with Amare, pre-Melo...Amare got many iso touches, but the offense was built around ball-movement and dribble penetration.

Woodson Hawks were pretty good

They always under-performed, especially on the offensive side.