Denver Shootings

Just so everyone's informed:

'Batman' shooting kills 12; gunman named

Denver: At least 12 people have been killed and 50 injured in a shooting at a theatre in Aurora, Colorado, on the opening night of the latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises”. The man, who was arrested after the horrific incident at the Century Theatre cinema in a Denver suburb early Friday, has been identified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as local resident James Holmes, a 24-year-old white American. Earlier, reports said that 14 people were shot dead, but Aurora Police Department later revised down the death toll.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/masked-man-kills-14-during-batman-screening-in-us_788674.html

• Owner

Someone over at TLN posted these witness accounts...I have no idea where they came from, though.

Some witness accounts:

Paul Otermat crawled out of the cinema with his girlfriend.

"Me and my girlfriend were sitting on the left-hand side of the entrance and front right was an emergency exit and a man walked through there.

"He came in wearing a black jacket. I thought it was some sort of publicity stunt for a second but then he threw tear gas over the crowd directly behind where we were. Then he started firing shots to the crowd.

"My girlfriend and I ducked down and immediately dragged ourselves out of the theatre to a point where we were sure we were out.

"We ran through the lobby and heard more shots and we ran out into he parking lot and drove off. By the time we were leaving the cops were already on the scene, like six cops before we got completely out, just flying in.

"It was just really like, as traumatic as it was it was incredibly weird. There were children at that show. It was really crazy.

"He just walked in pretty casually, threw the tear gas, then he just started firing. After the first shot lit up the room we dived to the floor. We waited until there was a lull in the firing and crawled our way out of there.

"I thought it was a shotgun at first, others through it was a rifle, we really don’t know. All we saw was the flash of light and the guy walking.

"We only saw the one guy. As soon as the shots started, we didn’t stick around. Our people just dropped to the floor and a lot of people made a mad dash to the exit."

Alex Molano told Denver's 9 News how he saw a police officer carrying a little girl who wasn't moving.

"I don’t want to upset anyone by anything I say but I don’t think anyone should be kept in the dark by what happened. I spoke to a young woman who was in theatre Nine and what she described sounded like madness.

"She described how a man six feet tall kicked through the door wearing a riot helmet and a bullet proof vest and he was completely covered in black and wearing goggles.

"She saw he had a shotgun and her and her boyfriend dropped to the floor and started to crawl to get away. They got up and went through the emergency exit, she turned around and saw the man slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people.

"I saw four, maybe five people wounded who were limping and slightly bloody. I saw a girl covered in blood but didn’t have any wounds on here. It made me think the worst.

"I honestly don’t know whose little girl it was, but a cop came walking through the front door holding a little girl in his arms and she wasn’t moving.

"I’d heard another witness in my theatre, she was on the phone and the really messed up part for me was that she said she saw bullet holes in the little girl’s back.

"I honestly can’t think of any person who would intentionally hurt a little girl so it makes me think she got caught in the crossfire."

James Cameron saw a mother holding a little girl who had been shot in the back.

"By the sound of it, it sounded like there could have been three or four people in the shooting. There were definitely multiple calibres going off.

"There was a child struck, a little baby girl was struck in her back and that was something that’s going to stay with me for the rest of my life. You can never prepare yourself for seeing a mother holding her child. That’s the one thing that sticks in my mind.

"I’m outside the hospital now, people are walking in here and the waiting room is full. It’s crazy, I’m still feeling the effects of that gas. It’s horrible, it’s like something out of a sci-fi movie.

"It was crazy; it was like law enforcement just fell out of the sky. One minute I’m helping my friend, the next I’m yelling for help and then there was police everywhere, they responded unbelievably."

Male witness: 'I thought it was part of the movie'.

"At first I thought it was part of the movie and that the speakers were extremely loud. Then I saw the smoke behind me and it didn’t seem right

"I heard loud noises and popping, first you think it’s part of the movie then you look behind and, ‘that’s just not part of the movie’.

"People started rushing out and the cops were telling us to move down the stars. As I got out to the parking lot I didn’t think it was that bad. I thought it was serious, but then you see injured people coming out the theatre."

Those witness accounts are ridiculously wrenching. I'm just wondering what kind of person does this. He must have been under some heavy delusion. If he was going to shoot everyone why did he even need the tear gas and the gas mask? What in his mind tells him he needs to do all this...

"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders' faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.

I feel like I am overreacting about what I experienced. But I can't help but be thankful for whatever caused me to make the choices that I made that day. My mind keeps replaying what I saw over in my head. I hope the victims make a full recovery. I wish I could shake this odd feeling from my chest. The feeling that's reminding me how blessed I am. The same feeling that made me leave the Eaton Center. The feeling that may have potentially saved my life."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/jessica-redfield-killed-dark-knight-rises-shooting-narrowly-142258973.html

Blog entry from one of the victims of the movie theater speaking on her close encounter in Toronto with a shooting just a month ago. Creepy stuff.

I wonder how many people want him to go to jail top be "rehabilitated".

This guy deserves nothing except a few shots right to his head. However, before he gets the shots to the head, he should be tortured for weeks.

Offically the first time i have ever +1 rep'd you.

He should be put to death, but its inhumane to torture anyone in any situation. Two wrongs dont make a right

I know that has been your stance for a while, and I'll respect that, but I completely and utterly disagree with your view.

Such a heinous and inhumane act deserves inhumane punishment. I'm trying not to let my emotions get the best of me, but at the very least he needs to be put to death, soon.

• Like 4

I totally feel he should go to jail to be 'rehabilitated'....

By that, I mean his ass rehabilitated by a few jail [expletive]as and a shank to the kidney. Much worse than any current form of death sentance in this country.

I know that has been your stance for a while, and I'll respect that, but I completely and utterly disagree with your view.

Such a heinous and inhumane act deserves inhumane punishment. I'm trying not to let my emotions get the best of me, but at the very least he needs to be put to death, soon.

Agreed... he deserves the most painful death.