Some Mets are pleading for Minaya to make a deal

Warren2ThaG

http://www.tweakyourpage.com/Images/Sports_Logos/MLB/images/New-York-Mets-logo.gif

Some Mets are pleading for Minaya to make a deal

According to the New York Daily News, the are whispers being traded among members of the New York Mets that are begging general manager Omar Minaya to make a deal and help the struggling team.

"A deal would send the message they want to win and will do what it takes to help us," one veteran player said. "I'm not saying to make a deal for the sake of making a deal, but something that can make a difference every day like a hitter. The other teams in our division have been losing lately so we're missing an opportunity. Yes, we've been shut down by good pitching. But playoff teams should be beating the better pitchers a lot of the time."

According to the Daily News, Minaya has said that the asking price for reinforcements has been too high, possibly because so few teams are completely out of contention. But on Saturday night the Cardinals — a team that might battle the Mets for a wild card - made a trade with the Indians for Mark DeRosa(notes). DeRosa was batting .270 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI. No Met player has more than nine home runs or 40 RBI. Before last night's game, manager Jerry Manuel smiled and then said, "It was a good move for the Cardinals."

The Mets dropped to 37-37 last night and the .500 mark is a key benchmark, according to Manuel. The manager says real concern will begin if the Mets fall below that level, and it would be time to shake things up.

"There is no doubt that if a caliber of player was added to the team, that it changes the morale of the team," he said. "When we added Gary Sheffield(notes), despite what we already had, to add him boosted the morale of the team. If you added a quality of player to walk through that clubhouse to say 'I'm here to help out,' there's no question it would boost the morale."

---

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/06/29/2009-06-29_desperate_mets_says_trade_help_would_send_message_to_clubhouse.html

Yeah there seems to be a feel on panic amongst Mets fans that if we don't make a move now we are going to fall out of the race and not climb back in however, let's examine the facts.

The Mets are 2 1/2 games out of first with over 80 games left in the regular season. The Mets have 1/3 of their 25 man roster on the DL right including key players such as; Jose Reyes, Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran, John Maine, Oliver Perez, JJ Putz, and Billy Wagner. Despite losing all those players the Mets still are only 2 1/2 out. Last year in July the Mets were as many as 7 games out of the race and still held a firm lead in September.

Now the agreement is why make a deal when we have so many players ready to come of the DL and be fresh players in the 2nd half. The response to that would be, "what if these players don't come back or don't perform when they do?" The response to that. If we don't expect so many key players to not come back is it really worth it to trade some of our top young players and go for it this year as opposed to just developing them and playing for 2010 or 2011?

I expect Minaya to make a move by the deadline to either make a commitment to now or next year. I just hope it's the right one.

Matt Holliday is a bit over rated hes backing up the fact that his numbers were a product of coors field. Away from Coors he averages about 20 HR's a year and like a .280 average which is solid but I'd rather have Dunn and you'd be surprised Dunn is not much older than Holliday if he is at all.

Matt Holliday owes his career to the massive Coors Field outfield.

Sort of like how Ryan Howard owes his to "Citizens Bank"? :unsure: .

I'm kidding...sort of. http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif .

I'm glad that the Boston Red Sox did not go after Matt Holliday last year.

I really hope the Boston Red Sox get Adam Dunn is two seasons.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Sort of like how Ryan Howard owes his to "Citizens Bank"? :D .

I'm kidding...sort of. http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif .

I'm glad that the Boston Red Sox did not go after Matt Holliday last year.

I really hope the Boston Red Sox get Adam Dunn is two seasons.

Holliday's home/road splits in his time in Colorado were ridiculous....like, flat out crazy. That stadium made him, and not just from a power perspective. There is a common misconception here...Coors is a "hitters" park and CBP, Great American Ballpark, etc are "homerun hitters" parks. Due to the air the ball happens to fly out of Coors (although not as much as it used to), but that outfield is huge and Holliday took advantage of those gaps like crazy. He isn't the only guy to do it, but he did it better than most.

As for Howard, you are way off base. I honestly do not remember the last time Howard hit a "CBP aided homerun" that landed in the first row in right field or the flower bed in left. Pretty much every one he hits would be out of the grand canyon, and the fact that he has hit 12 of his 20 homeruns on the road this season, and that he has more homeruns on the road for his career (99 compared to 98 at home) will speak to this.

Edited by Phightins09

True it is obvious Ryan Howard would hit homeruns in any ballpark he plays in just like Dunn. They have the sort of power that ballparks do not affect. (evident by Dunn moving from Great American to National Park and still bombing homeruns)