FIFA or NHL

Jesse The Body

Here is the first post and this is 100% accurate, you can check out rest of the thread.

The game of Hockey and Soccer are two very similar games, so what I can't seem to understand is how in FIFA is the AI leaps and bounds smarter than in NHL. A prime example of this is in FIFA players will actually run to the open areas on the pitch. They use the formation and other strategies as a guideline. In NHL the players follow what ever formation you have setup exactly. They will never vary. It's extremely frustrating to watch how bad they are in the game. I'll miss passes because the AI will go the opposite direction of where he should or where i want him to because of my strategies.

I mean both games are developed by EA Canada so why are they not shareing ideas and combining a lot of things that work for one game to the other. Also the physics in FIFA are way better than NHL. How does this happen? How does FIFA become so much better than NHL? ... Oh yeah, because they still have competition. EA knows they don't have to make a good hockey game because anyone that wants to play hockey has to buy their game or not play.

For a business trying to earn a profit this makes sense but the consumers get screwed here. I'm sure a lot of the ideas and processes in FIFA can be recoded and applied to NHL. FIFa actually playes like a finished game, NHL 12 playes like an alpha even though it should be a beta (year 2/3).

another issue with NHL is it feels so clunky and rigid. FIFA has a very nice flow to it, the way players move and react to each other, it just seems so fluid and realistic in FIFA compared to NHL. If two players collide in FIFA something happens regardless of whether or not you hit the tackle button. In NHL unless you press the body check button two players skating into each other looks stupid and it just causes them to stop. Oh and in FIFA everyone on the pitch is solid including the goalie.

C'mon EA Canada you guys should maybe talk to each other sometime you might learn a thing or two.

another post:

I think people are simply pointing out the differences in quality. Regardless as to how you feel about Soccer it's difficult to argue that FIFA isn't leaps and bounds ahead of NHL and hockey fans understandably find that frustrating. I'm not talking about gameplay direction either. That's a subjective decision even though most hardcore hockey fans seem to dislike the direction. I think the main source of frustration is that the quality level is so visibly different. FIFA oozes polish and quality at every corner while NHL oozes issues and bugs everywhere you look. FIFA also does not cater to a casual audience. It can be an unforgiving game and it errs on the side of realism as opposed to NHL which errs on the side casual players. IMO they have proved that they can be successful with a much more hardcore fan oriented game but that probably has much more to do with the size of their audience.

So they vent. I often wish NHL would take this direction and get some of that love.

From this above post, this guys replied:

Gorelola wrote:

I've never played the newer versions of FIFA, does the AI just run beside the attacker down the whole field and never try to do anything to the ball carrier? The AI in NHL need to be more aggressive and that would make everthing a lot better.

This was a problem in FIFA but has been fixed with the tactical defending they introduced in 12. It makes playing D much more intuitive and gives you better control of your positioning in regards to your opponents.

And FIFA 13 will just destroy everything about any sports game on the planet. FIFA 13 will be so good it's insane. They complete changed positioning analysis if these dudes in the NHL thread think FIFA 12 had amazing positioning analysis and how great they covered space, well FIFA 13 will blow that out of the water. Also the dribbling will be improved insanely and everyone also thought that the dribbling was awesome while in FIFA 12 they had 4 different kind of dribbling machines that the gamer could use but in 13 they will bring all those together as 1, that is while they are calling it now complete dribbling control.

And there is much much more, where NO and I mean NO sports game franchise on the planet has this type of technology or this great of an AI technology. Yea FIFA 13 will be amazing.

And just to note: I'm not dissing on NHL, I like the game it's a good game is the next closes game to realistic technology, it's a fun game. But it's nowhere near close to FIFA and it's technology.

NHL 11 was leaps and bounds better then FIFA 11. Wasn't impressed with NHL 12 but also never played FIFA 12. In terms of content, both games feature one of the largest databases for players out of all the sports franchises but I feel it is ten times harder to make a realistic NHL game compared to soccer.

I doubt I'll be spending my money on NHL 13 or FIFA 13 but will definitely invest in renting the soccer game to play as the Montreal Impact even though the arena won't be in it.

NHL 11 was leaps and bounds better then FIFA 11. Wasn't impressed with NHL 12 but also never played FIFA 12. In terms of content, both games feature one of the largest databases for players out of all the sports franchises but I feel it is ten times harder to make a realistic NHL game compared to soccer.

I doubt I'll be spending my money on NHL 13 or FIFA 13 but will definitely invest in renting the soccer game to play as the Montreal Impact even though the arena won't be in it.

I will agree FIFA 11 sucked and FIFA 10 was better then FIFA 11. But have you ever played FIFA 10 or 11? But you have to agree the AI technology that FIFA 13 will have there is no sports game on the planet that will have this AI technology. And I do not think it's harder to make a NHL game, all you is move the puck with the stick and you cannot do any fancy foot work in hockey like compared to in football(soccer) then in football you have to have the ability to bend the football in air to change it direction, something in hockey that is unheard of and you don't have to engineer that in the game. In my opinion it's harder to make a College Football & Madden game then an NHL game.

Edit: Also watch cool in FIFA 13 they are adding a new thing to career mode, where you can get an offer from a national team to coach them only if you are a good manger of your club. But any nation can give you an offer to coach them. Which sounds really awesome.

Edited by Smoove

Edit: Also watch cool in FIFA 13 they are adding a new thing to career mode, where you can get an offer from a national team to coach them only if you are a good manger of your club. But any nation can give you an offer to coach them. Which sounds really awesome.

That right there sounds [expletive]ing awesome. I've been saying for as long as I can remember that NHL should add either an Olympic tournament or the world championships or world juniors or something to the game. It would be amazing if in Be a GM mode you got to hand pick a team to go to the Olympics for your country and play with them to try to win gold, or the yearly worlds tournament. It would make it even more realistic if for the yearly worlds that the top players from your country tend to decline the offer like in real life. Also if they added it to Be a Pro mode where you got invited to play for your county in the Olympics or worlds, or if when your playing in the CHL you got invited to the world juniors. Something like that would be amazing.

True. FIFA 12 > NHL 12, though. ;)

That right there sounds [expletive]ing awesome. I've been saying for as long as I can remember that NHL should add either an Olympic tournament or the world championships or world juniors or something to the game. It would be amazing if in Be a GM mode you got to hand pick a team to go to the Olympics for your country and play with them to try to win gold, or the yearly worlds tournament. It would make it even more realistic if for the yearly worlds that the top players from your country tend to decline the offer like in real life. Also if they added it to Be a Pro mode where you got invited to play for your county in the Olympics or worlds, or if when your playing in the CHL you got invited to the world juniors. Something like that would be amazing.

Yeah FIFA 13 will be awesome and I love that feature they just added. Check out all the new features, looks amazing cannot wait for this game.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-13-career-mode-the-new-features/

I will agree FIFA 11 sucked and FIFA 10 was better then FIFA 11. But have you ever played FIFA 10 or 11? But you have to agree the AI technology that FIFA 13 will have there is no sports game on the planet that will have this AI technology. And I do not think it's harder to make a NHL game, all you is move the puck with the stick and you cannot do any fancy foot work in hockey like compared to in football(soccer) then in football you have to have the ability to bend the football in air to change it direction, something in hockey that is unheard of and you don't have to engineer that in the game. In my opinion it's harder to make a College Football & Madden game then an NHL game.

Hockey is on skates but also features contact like Madden. Soccer has had great graphics for years due to the fact it is so simple. I remember rocking FIFA 2001 and hadn't played a game until FIFA 11 and was shocked at how similar it was. Yes it was upgraded but compared to the advancements in NHL (and lack of since 11) it hasn't jumped that high.

Would have bought FIFA 12 based just on the fact you can play in the World Cup and tournaments but found out Canada is not featured. They said hopefully by 2013 it will be in it.

Hockey is on skates but also features contact like Madden. Soccer has had great graphics for years due to the fact it is so simple. I remember rocking FIFA 2001 and hadn't played a game until FIFA 11 and was shocked at how similar it was. Yes it was upgraded but compared to the advancements in NHL (and lack of since 11) it hasn't jumped that high.

Would have bought FIFA 12 based just on the fact you can play in the World Cup and tournaments but found out Canada is not featured. They said hopefully by 2013 it will be in it.

What advancements does NHL have over FIFA? It doesn't have any and millions of people know this. Even he EA forum is blowing up saying why isn't NHL good as FIFA because they are both made by the same company EA of Canada, so look at that it looks like they care more for football then hockey that is why FIFA's AI is way more superior then NHL's or any other sports game's AI.

I even offered you guys proof of people who actually know what they are talking and it's from the Hockey forum by it's self agreeing that FIFA's technology, AI is way better then NHL.

And also to say FIFA 2001 is similar to FIFA 11 that is just crazy bro, no where near are they similar. When is exactly the last time you've even played 2001? The graphics are awful and so i the technology, in 2001 I could score a goal from half the field or even beyond that, is not realistic at all.

Also it's easier to make ice then grass in any game not saying sports but any game. So yeah just think about that.

Haha way to use logic and reasons. Such a dumbass post.

More like sad that people cannot mature and sad that people actually try to act 'cool' on the internet for some short-term laughs by picking on members.

Staff I am offended. Please address this.

I play both games, and love both of them.

I'd say Fifa is a little smoother at the moment, but that's because Fifa is not nearly as complex as the NHL series. There's a lot more that has to go into an NHL game than a Fifa game.

The only thing that I want the NHL series to improve is the same goals that go in all the time, even though I do a lot of them. :lol: .

I'd say Fifa is a little smoother at the moment, but that's because Fifa is not nearly as complex as the NHL series. There's a lot more that has to go into an NHL game than a Fifa game.

The only thing that I want the NHL series to improve is the same goals that go in all the time, even though I do a lot of them. :lol: .

Agreed! Both series are pretty damn sick.

I play FIFA a decent amount...NHL I never buy, but my buddies have it so I know it's pretty damn good and has been for a few years.

FIFA is so much fun IMO...Love playing people in FIFA! lol

What advancements does NHL have over FIFA? It doesn't have any and millions of people know this. Even he EA forum is blowing up saying why isn't NHL good as FIFA because they are both made by the same company EA of Canada, so look at that it looks like they care more for football then hockey that is why FIFA's AI is way more superior then NHL's or any other sports game's AI.

I even offered you guys proof of people who actually know what they are talking and it's from the Hockey forum by it's self agreeing that FIFA's technology, AI is way better then NHL.

And also to say FIFA 2001 is similar to FIFA 11 that is just crazy bro, no where near are they similar. When is exactly the last time you've even played 2001? The graphics are awful and so i the technology, in 2001 I could score a goal from half the field or even beyond that, is not realistic at all.

Also it's easier to make ice then grass in any game not saying sports but any game. So yeah just think about that.

Well I don't know a lot about FIFA back to 2001, but the amount that NHL has improved even since NHL 07 is pretty crazy. Adding the skill stick made the game 1,000x better alone. Plus now this year with the fully realistic skating engine. How much has FIFA added to the game in the past 5 years other than better physics engine?

Demar pretty much summed it up for me. The rest of your post is your opinion. Obviously FIFA has improved in those years but comparing the improvement of an NHL game in that amount of time is amazing. They seem to have stalled since '11 but just where they have got to is amazing in terms of flow especially on ice. It may be easier to make ice than grass but its ten times harder to make movement and correct effects with it in such a small playing field.

Well I don't know a lot about FIFA back to 2001, but the amount that NHL has improved even since NHL 07 is pretty crazy. Adding the skill stick made the game 1,000x better alone. Plus now this year with the fully realistic skating engine. How much has FIFA added to the game in the past 5 years other than better physics engine?

they finally revamped the passing system last year, but it still can be very frustrating at times and they completely redid the defense. other than that, i don't think it is too much of a different game, but obviously very different from 2001. obviously any sports game will be very different than it was over 10 years ago. if i was an nhl fan an understand the rules, i would enjoy nhl quite a bit, and i do think it is quite a bit more difficult than fifa.

Only sports game to have space analysing - So when you set a formation you players will follow that order and also go in to open spaces and make chances happen. (This is AI which no sports game has and even this was addressed in the EA forum for Hockey they were clearly talking about this)

Much higher, much better dribbling improvment - In the old FIFA's its like you were kind of playing ping-pong

Much harder scoring - It's so hard to score a 30meter goal and 40, 50 meters do not exist anymore. Unlike in the old FIFA's you could even score a goal from 50 or even 60 meters (which is little over half the field)

HIGH upgrade to the defense and the smartness of the defenders - Again in the old FIFA's the defenders were so stupid they won't do anything.

You can actually play as the goalkeeper and come up to defend, come up to tackle the ball - In older FIFA's you could not do this.

There is more that I cannot think of, right off top of my head now.

I play NHL a lot more frequently with three friends (2v2), and it's a better experience than FIFA.

How so? How many times have you played FIFA even? An the one that is up to date.

Could you explain how it is more complex then FIFA?

Edited by Smoove

Only sports game to have space analysing - So when you set a formation you players will follow that order and also go in to open spaces and make chances happen. (This is AI which no sports game has and even this was addressed in the EA forum for Hockey they were clearly talking about this)

Much higher, much better dribbling improvment - In the old FIFA's its like you were kind of playing ping-pong

Much harder scoring - It's so hard to score a 30meter goal and 40, 50 meters do not exist anymore. Unlike in the old FIFA's you could even score a goal from 50 or even 60 meters (which is little over half the field)

HIGH upgrade to the defense and the smartness of the defenders - Again in the old FIFA's the defenders were so stupid they won't do anything.

You can actually play as the goalkeeper and come up to defend, come up to tackle the ball - In older FIFA's you could not do this.

There is more that I cannot think of, right off top of my head now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHx_yMIRfls

just saying. stupid shit happens in every sports game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHx_yMIRfls

just saying. stupid shit happens in every sports game

Sure, but a lot of those are from 10meters, 20meters, 30meters, which is obviously quite realistic. But the 40meters is a question mark with some of those players that were shooting it. The only player in real life that I've seen make power 40+ meter goals in Cristiano Roanldo. His 100 goal for Manchester United came from a 50 meter off the wing free kick. It was an amazing goal the best way to hit your 100th goal by any footballers standars.

Sure, but a lot of those are from 10meters, 20meters, 30meters, which is obviously quite realistic. But the 40meters is a question mark with some of those players that were shooting it. The only player in real life that I've seen make power 40+ meter goals in Cristiano Roanldo. His 100 goal for Manchester United came from a 50 meter off the wing free kick. It was an amazing goal the best way to hit your 100th goal by any footballers standars.

But is is possible, which contradicted what you said.