Heisman Debate Thread

Warren2ThaG

You must mean he was overrated in NFL right?

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Since his death, people call him a top 5 safety. A top 10 safety. A top 50 player. That is overrating him, and most people do it by looking at numbers without having actually seen him play or understanding the game at the time that he played.

He was a super powered Roy Williams. Highlight reel player, which got him extra hype, who tackled extremely well, played the run well, had good hands.. but didn't play very well in coverage.

The immediate reaction to "he wasn't good in coverage" is to point out his 12 interceptions in his first four seasons.. Roy Williams had 12, as well, and 5 in his fifth year. He wasn't good in coverage, didn't take good angles, couldn't handle routes.. but he was an opportunist with good hands. Honestly, Roy Williams is a great comparison for Sean Taylor. Taylor was more physically gifted, but they both played the same type of football game.

I apologize if you think that I'm calling Sean Taylor a bad player, because I'm not. But I do think that he was overrated. He had flaws in his game that weren't terribly hard to notice if you watched him play. He was mega Roy Williams. Mega LaRon Landry. Just with better hands and more athleticism.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That I thought a football player was overrated?

Can you give me a rationale behind deleting that post?

I left your original posts because others had replied to it, to which you were complaining about being left in the thread. Hence why I asked if you wanted your post to be deleted, which would take care of the ones you quoted.

But enough about that, really. Please get back to the topic.

I left your original posts because others had replied to it, to which you were complaining about being left in the thread. Hence why I asked if you wanted your post to be deleted, which would take care of the ones you quoted.

lol you don't get it, I'll PM you

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Since his death, people call him a top 5 safety. A top 10 safety. A top 50 player. That is overrating him, and most people do it by looking at numbers without having actually seen him play or understanding the game at the time that he played.

He was a super powered Roy Williams. Highlight reel player, which got him extra hype, who tackled extremely well, played the run well, had good hands.. but didn't play very well in coverage.

The immediate reaction to "he wasn't good in coverage" is to point out his 12 interceptions in his first four seasons.. Roy Williams had 12, as well, and 5 in his fifth year. He wasn't good in coverage, didn't take good angles, couldn't handle routes.. but he was an opportunist with good hands. Honestly, Roy Williams is a great comparison for Sean Taylor. Taylor was more physically gifted, but they both played the same type of football game.

I apologize if you think that I'm calling Sean Taylor a bad player, because I'm not. But I do think that he was overrated. He had flaws in his game that weren't terribly hard to notice if you watched him play. He was mega Roy Williams. Mega LaRon Landry. Just with better hands and more athleticism.

Lol you realized you just described a sick ass player right?

So what does everyone's list look like after Week 3?

Mine:

1. Geno Smith - Nine touchdowns on the season and only nine incompletions makes his the clear favorite at this point

2. DeAnthony Thomas - 4 rushing touchdowns and 3 receiving touchdowns on the season, while also being a big threat in the return game

3. Braxton Miller - Threw for four touchdowns and rushed for one in a close win against California

4. Collin Klein - Big game against Oklahoma this week should give us an idea on whether he's a contender or pretender

5. Insert one of the following: Matt Barkley, Marqise Lee, or Johnathan Franklin

Duke Johnson > DeAnthony Thomas..just saying the stats say so.

2nd in the nation in all purpose yards and only because the guy ahead of him has 30 more touches than he does.

And I'm with Lkr, lmfao @ Braxton F'ing Miller ahead of Barkey or even on the list all together.

Edited by Flash

Duke Johnson > DeAnthony Thomas..just saying the stats say so.

2nd in the nation in all purpose yards and only because the guy ahead of him has 30 more touches than he does.

And I'm with Lkr, lmfao @ Braxton F'ing Miller ahead of Barkey or even on the list all together.

Duke Johnson plays for Miami which eliminates him right of the bat.

As of Week 3, how does Braxton Miller not deserve to be on the list? Guy is carrying Ohio State. Where do you have Barkley? I understand he's the first major contender to lose, but he'll have his chance to redeem himself later in the season.

Duke Johnson plays for Miami which eliminates him right of the bat.

As of Week 3, how does Braxton Miller not deserve to be on the list? Guy is carrying Ohio State. Where do you have Barkley? I understand he's the first major contender to lose, but he'll have his chance to redeem himself later in the season.

Heisman is an award for best player in the nation. Braxton Miller is not one of the top 5 best college football players.

Heisman is an award for best player in the nation. Braxton Miller is not one of the top 5 best college football players.

Guy has led Ohio State to a 3-0 record and without him could possibly be 1-2. He led the Buckeyes on two key fourth-quarter drives in the California game to give them the lead both times. He's been great so far, but the real test begins when Ohio State heads to East Lancing to face Michigan State on September 29th.

Since you seem to disagree with everyone my list, how about posting one yourself?