Weezy - Dedication 4 (mixtape)

Real Deal

Listened to it once or twice from track one to finish. It was OK. I'd give it a 7/10 as of now when you compare it to other mixtapes this year or in recent years...

The dedication series 1-3 were all great, so I had some high hopes for this. It's safe to say that Wayne, lyrically, flow, etc. just isn't where he once was. His punchlines have become stale and a lot of them sound very repetitive. I think all the lean has finally taken it's toll lmao

You are a generous man

Probably, but it's still very listenable. Like I'll listen to it for a few weeks probably before I never listen again. That's worth something.

But unlike the dedication 1, 2, and 3 as well as Da Drought 3, I probably won't be revisiting it once new music comes out (Big Sean's tape, Kendrick Lamar's album, Meek Mill's album, etc.)

Serious question for Wayne listeners:

Has Lil Wayne fallen off, or are we just sick of punchlines that seem to be similar every project?

I am listening to Dedication 1, 2, and 3 today and I'm not sure if Lil Wayne was a much better rapper back then...I think his sound, flow, and punchlines were fresh. Now, almost 10 years later, it just seems stale.

What ya'll think?

Serious question for Wayne listeners:

Has Lil Wayne fallen off, or are we just sick of punchlines that seem to be similar every project?

I am listening to Dedication 1, 2, and 3 today and I'm not sure if Lil Wayne was a much better rapper back then...I think his sound, flow, and punchlines were fresh. Now, almost 10 years later, it just seems stale.

What ya'll think?

Dedication 2 >>> 1 >> 3 > 4 imo

I think it's a combination of two things that have made me personally not like Wayne's music over the years. One, his metaphors are no where near as clever as they once were. Lil Wayne's entire lyrical style depends on his metaphors. If I have to hear him talk about giving and getting head one more time.... smh. There is only one word to describe his metaphors on D4, corny. Two, his sample section isn't as diverse as it once was. This is probably Drama's fault as well but I miss the Little Brother, Jay-z, 2Pac samples. Now he's rapping over Future, 2 Chainz, and Lil Mouse... wtf is a Lil Mouse? His flow has been fairly consisten throughout the years, minus the singing and rock shit. Content is where Wayne fell off.

Dedication 2 >>> 1 >> 3 > 4 imo

I think it's a combination of two things that have made me personally not like Wayne's music over the years. One, his metaphors are no where near as clever as they once were. Lil Wayne's entire lyrical style depends on his metaphors. If I have to hear him talk about giving and getting head one more time.... smh. There is only one word to describe his metaphors on D4, corny. Two, his sample section isn't as diverse as it once was. This is probably Drama's fault as well but I miss the Little Brother, Jay-z, 2Pac samples. Now he's rapping over Future, 2 Chainz, and Lil Mouse... wtf is a Lil Mouse? His flow has been fairly consisten throughout the years, minus the singing and rock shit. Content is where Wayne fell off.

Good points.

I thought he'd kill that No Lie beat, and it was just mediocre...

I agree, his older stuff is a bit boring nowadays.. I guess its just the style of punchline rap has gotten too repetitive. WIth the amount of music he's put out over the years.. I think it's taken its toll on everyone including me.

Word. I have to respect him for those couple of years when he was featured on almost every single out though, that shit was impressive. Regardless of what people think of him now, that run he had from 05-08 will probably never be repeated by another hip-hop artist in our generation.

2 things regarding Wayne-

1) He got extremely rich, popular, went to jail, and took up skateboarding to the extreme....all things that can take away from your love of the music, and dedication to pushing your own boundaries. It seems like he's settled on a certain style that he knows gets radio play and will bring him in money, and he's basically recycling a thousand times over.

2) He was never that talented to begin with. When his old stuff came out it was pretty different from what was coming out at the time, specifically in regards to flow and voice. Now that people have become saturated with his music, it simply doesn't hit us like it used to. That is where lyrical talent comes in. When you are one of the elite rappers, you can successfully create new concepts, go in new directions, and talk about new things while keeping true to yourself and style. That is how guys like Jay and Nas have remained so consistent over 20 years. Talent will always prevail.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 2

2 things regarding Wayne-

1) He got extremely rich, popular, went to jail, and took up skateboarding to the extreme....all things that can take away from your love of the music, and dedication to pushing your own boundaries. It seems like he's settled on a certain style that he knows gets radio play and will bring him in money, and he's basically recycling a thousand times over.

2) He was never that talented to begin with. When his old stuff came out it was pretty different from what was coming out at the time, specifically in regards to flow and voice. Now that people have become saturated with his music, it simply doesn't hit us like it used to. That is where lyrical talent comes in. When you are one of the elite rappers, you can successfully create new concepts, go in new directions, and talk about new things while keeping true to yourself and style. That is how guys like Jay and Nas have remained so consistent over 20 years. Talent will always prevail.

On point, exactly.

Wayne once said he'd like to retire from rap at like 30...at least I think I remember him saying that. And we know why...the punchlines get so repetitive you can only put out so many tapes

Pretty much what I've been saying all along.