NBA to fine players for flopping

Lkr

ELIZABETH, N.J. -- The NBA is about to act in hopes of stopping the floppers.

Spokesman Tim Frank said Thursday the league is finalizing procedures to deal with flopping, the art of falling down when little or no contact was made in an effort to trick referees into calling a foul.

Frank said the competition committee met two weeks ago and discussed plans that would go in place this season. Commissioner David Stern believes too many players are deceiving referees by flopping and has been seeking a way to properly penalize them.

The procedures likely will involve a postgame review of the play by the league office, rather than an official calling an infraction during the game, Frank said. Players likely would be fined if the league determined they flopped.

The proposed plan mirrors a "postgame analysis" option Stern discussed after the competition committee met in June. The league already retroactively reviews flagrant fouls to determine if they need to be upgraded or downgraded.

"If you continue to do this, you may you have to suffer some consequences," Stern said about flopping during the NBA Finals. "What those exactly should be and what the progression is, is to be decided, because ... we just want to put a stake in the ground that says this is not something that we want to be part of our game, without coming down with a sledgehammer but just doing it in a minimalist way to begin stamping it out. And I think there are ways we can do that and we'll have to wait and see exactly what we come up with."

The league's 62-person referee staff is holding its training camp, its first under the leadership of former NBA player and longtime league executive Mike Bantom. Bantom replaced Gen. Ron Johnson as executive vice president of referee operations earlier this month.

"I think one of the things that I'd just like to focus on is I think there's a perception out there that kind of throws into question sometimes the competence of our officials and even the integrity of them at times, and I think that that's not true to begin with and unfair, and I want to try and change that perception," said Bantom, who had been the league's senior vice president of player development since 1999.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8433232/nba-finalizing-procedures-penalize-players-flopping

about time

• Like 1

Its going to be interesting to see where the line is drawn. I still don't see why it can't just be a foul if you flop, that would stop players faster than taking money out of their pocket (unless we're talking 100,000 dollar fines here, which I doubt, probably knock a 0 off that). Will the refs [expletive] up occasionally? Of course, but the league is gonna [expletive] up too this way. At least they're not taking money out of players' pockets, which is ridiculous if you ask me.

Do you really think small fines are gonna affect superstar calls? Is money really an issue for the floppers (who are 99% star players who are loaded)? This is the worst way they could have gone about this, the more I think about it.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 1

It's better than nothing but players should still be handed in game penalties such as technical fouls. Games should be impacted in some way if guys plan on flopping.

Also what kind of fines are up talking about. Does the league really think that $5-10K fines are going to stop players from doing something that they've grown so accustomed to doing, especially those who rake in money left and right.

I guess its going to depend on a lot of things. They should probably raise the amount of the fine each time you become a repeat offender. Something like start out at 5k then double it each time you do it again. By the time they've done it 5 times they would be paying an 80k fine, which would probably be enough to stop them from doing it.

I feel like the in game calls would be too risky to add. It would be too hard for referees to tell when a player is flopping or not and half the time they would probably make the wrong call. Maybe if they used instant replay to judge whether its a flop or not with under a minute left in the game where it will matters most.

Flopping penalties announced:

Violation 1: Warning

Violation 2: $5,000 fine

Violation 3: $10,000 fine

Violation 4: $15,000 fine

Violation 5: $30,000 fine

If a player violates the anti-flopping rule six times or more, he will be subject to discipline that is reasonable under the circumstances, including an increased fine and/or suspension.

The league will announce at a later date a separate set of penalties for flopping that will apply during the playoffs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20443201/nba-formally-announces-new-flopping-rule

Flopping penalties announced:

Violation 1: Warning

Violation 2: $5,000 fine

Violation 3: $10,000 fine

Violation 4: $15,000 fine

Violation 5: $30,000 fine

If a player violates the anti-flopping rule six times or more, he will be subject to discipline that is reasonable under the circumstances, including an increased fine and/or suspension.

The league will announce at a later date a separate set of penalties for flopping that will apply during the playoffs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20443201/nba-formally-announces-new-flopping-rule

They should probably raise the amount of the fine each time you become a repeat offender. Something like start out at 5k then double it each time you do it again. By the time they've done it 5 times they would be paying an 80k fine, which would probably be enough to stop them from doing it.

Looks like I called it :glasses:

• 1 month later...
NBA Issues First Flopping Warnings of Season to Barea and Sloan

It was only a matter of time that someone would be the ‘first’ to fall victim to the new NBA flopping rules. After reviewing the film, the league has issued two “official warnings” to Wolves J.J. Barea, and Cavaliers Donald Sloan for their respective flops last Friday. After receiving a flopping warning your next offense then becomes a fine of $5000. Each subsequent offense the fine increases significantly, and after a few the league can even decide to suspend you from play. No wonder the players union is filing a grievance with the league about the fines.

There has been a lot of debate not only about the new rule, but also about which players would be the most frequently fined under this new rule. Check out the incidents which got the NBA’s attention first.

Source

Wolves J.J. Barea throws his head back violently after a ghost slap from Kings sophomore Jimmer Fredette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcHt1hrYe_I

Cavs' Donald Sloan throws his body around wildly after bumping into Mohammed and Hinrich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_r4JcYXAp0

The NBA need to take a closer look at the GSW @ LAC game.

• 3 months later...

NBA flopping update:

While watching the ABC broadcast of the Heat-Knicks
game on Sunday, I was fascinated by the graphic that ABC showed
concerning the progression of flopping since the institution of the
NBA's new flopping review process. The graphic, which I'm reconstructing
from memory and from other news reports, conveyed essentially this:

• 2012 Playoffs -- 70 flops in 79 games
  • Nov 2012 -- 7 flops
  • Dec 2012 -- 7 flops
  • Jan 2013 -- 3 flops
  • Feb 2013 -- No flops

Stu Jackson of the NBA recently spoke to the media to promote these
numbers, the message being -- the new rules are working, we are ridding
the game of flopping. Yay NBA!

But does anyone other than me notice a basic disconnect in the
information that ABC put on screen? There was no flopping rule during
the 2012 playoffs, so to say that there were 70 flops during the 2012
playoffs begs a pretty significant question. How were there 70 flops?
Who counted them? What was the definition? At the very least we need
some sort of explanation at to what the 70 number represents. Presumably
someone reviewed all of those 79 games and determined that there were
70 instances that WOULD have received a flop warning under the current
system. But in looking for the origin of this data, I have not seen an
explanation of the 2012 playoff flopping figure. The closest I've seen
is from a USA Today story
by Jeff Zillgut which states "during last season's playoffs ... there
were more than 70 flops in 79 games - almost one a playoff game - Jackson said."
(Emphasis added.) Jackson said. That's some good reporting, Zillgut.
Obviously the NBA has a conflict of interest here, and it makes the rule
look good for them to say that it has reduced flopping significantly.
Just reporting what the league office tells you, the league office that
determines these policies in the first place, is more than a little
lazy. (...)

http://www.clipsnation.com/2013/3/4/4064474/nba-flopping-update-blake-griffin-la-clippers