KG: "I don't have Ray Allen's number anymore"

The Regime

lol that is KG to a tee. i don't blame him, that was lame as [expletive] what Ray Allen did man. I had a ton of respect for Ray Allen, and the big three in general, because I always thought they were the few guys left (in all PRO sports) who played for the name on the front of their jersey instead of the back but clearly that is not the case for Allen

lol that is KG to a tee. i don't blame him, that was lame as [expletive] what Ray Allen did man. I had a ton of respect for Ray Allen, and the big three in general, because I always thought they were the few guys left (in all PRO sports) who played for the name on the front of their jersey instead of the back but clearly that is not the case for Allen

Why should Allen show loyalty to the Celtics when they showed hardly any to him over the past two years?

He was almost dealt at the deadline two years ago and he was told by Doc that he had been traded to the Grizzlies for OJ Mayo at this year's deadline, only to be told 10 minutes later that the deal was off as Ainge backed out.

He was demoted to the bench and then saw his minutes cut. Sure, you can argue (and I'd agree with you) that it was the right move from a basketball standpoint as Avery Bradley was more valuable than a hobbled Ray Allen, but for a player like Allen, you can sure as hell bet that felt like another punch to the gut.

Despite this, Allen didn't quit or mail it in. He played at probably 60% during the playoffs, never whined to the media and the only sort of clash we heard about was with Rondo, and it is a well known fact that Rondo is a very moody player.

Criticize Allen for taking the easy way out and latching onto the best team in the league for his twilight years all you want, but it is ridiculous to criticize him for not showing loyalty to a franchise that has shown hardly any to him for the past two years.

• Like 1

What would have been worse? Allen going to LA or Miami?

Both are bad, but Miami IMO. They just lost to them in the East Conf Finals and are the clear cut biggest obstacle between them and the big three winning another championship (doubtful anyway).

Why should Allen show loyalty to the Celtics when they showed hardly any to him over the past two years?

He was almost dealt at the deadline two years ago and he was told by Doc that he had been traded to the Grizzlies for OJ Mayo at this year's deadline, only to be told 10 minutes later that the deal was off as Ainge backed out.

He was demoted to the bench and then saw his minutes cut. Sure, you can argue (and I'd agree with you) that it was the right move from a basketball standpoint as Avery Bradley was more valuable than a hobbled Ray Allen, but for a player like Allen, you can sure as hell bet that felt like another punch to the gut.

Despite this, Allen didn't quit or mail it in. He played at probably 60% during the playoffs, never whined to the media and the only sort of clash we heard about was with Rondo, and it is a well known fact that Rondo is a very moody player.

Criticize Allen for taking the easy way out and latching onto the best team in the league for his twilight years all you want, but it is ridiculous to criticize him for not showing loyalty to a franchise that has shown hardly any to him for the past two years.

All the points you just made about Allen is why I've had so much respect and admiration for him over the past few years with,probably, my most hated NBA team, Boston. But that's an unfair critique to the Celtics organization though, too. Did they trade him? No. Ainge backed out. Maybe he had second thoughts, and said Allen is too valuable to the franchise, and we can't trade him like that. So, they didn't trade him. Sure, Allen has the "freedom" as a FA to go anywhere, I realize that. But it wasn't really about showing loyalty to the Celtics as an organization, it was moreso to the other three players who he had battled with for the last few years and won a championship with. To back out on them in the last year or two of their careers was surprising to me...especially to go play for Miami, their biggest East coast rival at this point and the team that just beat them! Total copout/front runner move by Allen.

All the points you just made about Allen is why I've had so much respect and admiration for him over the past few years with,probably, my most hated NBA team, Boston. But that's an unfair critique to the Celtics organization though, too. Did they trade him? No. Ainge backed out. Maybe he had second thoughts, and said Allen is too valuable to the franchise, and we can't trade him like that. So, they didn't trade him.

It still doesn't change the fact that if not for a last second (literally) change of mind from Ainge, Allen would've finished the season as a member of the Memphis Grizzlies. If there was loyalty there, his name wouldn't even come up in trade talks.

Was Garnett almost dealt? No.

Was Pierce almost dealt? No. (Celtics turned down the same deal Brooklyn made for Wallace)

Sure, it is a business and players are dealt all the time, but you don't think it pissed Allen off that he was almost dealt two years in a row after he was a arguably the most important part of the Celtics turnaround (no Allen trade means no KG trade)? You can sure as hell bet it did to a person like Allen.

Sure, Allen has the "freedom" as a FA to go anywhere, I realize that. But it wasn't really about showing loyalty to the Celtics as an organization, it was moreso to the other three players who he had battled with for the last few years and won a championship with. To back out on them in the last year or two of their careers was surprising to me...especially to go play for Miami, their biggest East coast rival at this point and the team that just beat them! Total copout/front runner move by Allen.

Ok, so let me ask you this.

If you were to be offered a better job with more stability from a rival company and you didn't get along with your boss/supervisor/manager/whatever would you turn it down just because of having a relationship with two of your co-workers?

At the end of the day this is a business. The Celtics knew that and that is why they explored trade options involving Allen in an attempt to better their team. Allen knew this and he made a decision that he felt was better for his career. He is basically doing what the Celtics did for the past two years and yet he should be vilified?

PS: Just to be clear, I don't think the Celtics did anything wrong, either. I just think it is stupid how people are crucifying Allen for this. It isn't like he is Paul Pierce or anything like that. If Pierce up and left Boston for Miami, I would agree that would be just awful.

o rly?

"Loyalty is something that hurts you sometimes because you cant get youth back. I can honestly say if I can go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization I'd of done it a little sooner." - Kevin Garnett

Edited by Flash

o rly?

"Loyalty is something that hurts you sometimes because you cant get youth back. I can honestly say if I can go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization I'd of done it a little sooner." - Kevin Garnett

I don't think anyone was talking about Ray Allen leaving the horriawful Sonics teams he was playing for, this is not even close to the same situation

Just wondering, is Steve Nash a sellout for going to LA even with their playoff battles? Or does it only count when you go to the Heat?

Lakers/Suns was nowhere near as physical as Celtics/Heat. Also, the Lakers/Suns playoff feud was five plus years ago (the WCF wasn't that dramatic a few years ago...Suns were happy just to be there) whereas Heat/Celtics has been a current feud. By the time Nash joined LA, both sides were indifferent to the feud, whereas Allen is joining the Heat literally right after the Heat ended their season, so it has a much worst taste to it.

Lakers/Suns was nowhere near as physical as Celtics/Heat. Also, the Lakers/Suns playoff feud was five plus years ago (the WCF wasn't that dramatic a few years ago...Suns were happy just to be there) whereas Heat/Celtics has been a current feud. By the time Nash joined LA, both sides were indifferent to the feud, whereas Allen is joining the Heat literally right after the Heat ended their season, so it has a much worst taste to it.

I don't remember anyone getting clotheslined in a Heat/Celtics series.

Pretty much you guys are just extremely butthurt that the Champs managed their money smart enough to add another great player.

I'm not shocked that a Knicks fan and Cavs fan would have a problem with this though.

• Owner

It's not that he left Boston, just that he went to Miami. There were two teams Ray should have avoided, and that was the Heat and Lakers. Not that it's some written rule, but you don't leave Boston as a champion (and one of the main contributors) for a rival, especially the Lakers.

Reminds me of Rick Fox, who wasn't really THAT big of a deal in Boston...but he played 6-7 seasons there (drafted by the Celts), then moved to LA when he was nearing 30 and struggling through injuries, and he won three championships as a part of that dynasty (and he made that move once he realized Kobe and Shaq were going to be special).

Ray could have went to the Thunder, Bulls, even the Clippers...and it would have been less of an issue with Boston fans. But, when you head over to one of the teams that everyone hates, and they are also a rival...well, what do you expect?

Still not as bad as a move to the Lakers, though. I was on another board, reading Boston fans' comments, when there was a small rumor that he was considering the Lakers...and I thought half of those fans were going to send Ray Ray death threats.

Ray was treated like shit in Boston, he can go wherever he wants.. rival or not.. Miami offered him a good contract well before Boston and Boston had already signed JET to "replace him" and offered him a decent offer as soon as they heard Miami was jumping on him..

If I was Ray.. I'd feel insulted to be honest. He's in a better situation now, Ainge toyed with him for years near trade deadlines.. KG got a pretty big contract so he shouldnt even be mentioning anything.

Read the thread.........

If Steve Nash was on a team with KG and left for the Lakers, I think KG would be pissed

First off, I had already read the thread.

Second, how does your reply answer the question I asked? What does it have to do with Ray supposedly 'being treated like shit in Boston'?

That leads to -- third, I don't give a rat's ass about how KG would've felt if Nash was on a team with him and left for the Lakers.

Ray was treated like shit in Boston (...)

Oh, and I don't remember asking you... Thanks anyway.

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

First off, I had already read the thread.

Second, how does your reply answer the question I asked? What does it have to do with Ray supposedly 'being treated like shit in Boston'?

That leads to -- third, I don't give a rat's ass about how KG would've felt if Nash was on a team with him and left for the Lakers.

Oh, and I don't remember asking you...

the break in my post indicated I was referencing something else. And if you had read the thread, you would have seen BFT's post :|

It's not that he left Boston, just that he went to Miami. There were two teams Ray should have avoided, and that was the Heat and Lakers. Not that it's some written rule, but you don't leave Boston as a champion (and one of the main contributors) for a rival, especially the Lakers.

Again, though, the problem I have with this logic is that it's not like the Celtics viewed him as a valuable piece anymore. They signed Terry to replace him before he even signed with the Heat and then all of the other stuff I've mentioned in this thread already.

Sure, he won a championship with them 5 years ago but as far as I'm concerned, he shouldn't feel any sort of obligation to the team after what has transpired between them over the past two years.

It is beating a dead horse at this point, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

Had him on ignore.. my bad.

So let me get this straight.

You put me on ignore even though we've never had any sort of altercation that derailed threads, yet when the staff urges you to put iMan or Yugo, guys who you constantly get into it with, on ignore you blow us off? :lol:

So let me get this straight.

You put me on ignore even though we've never had any sort of altercation that derailed threads, yet when the staff urges you to put iMan or Yugo, guys who you constantly get into it with, on ignore you blow us off? :lol:

I must've put you on ignore long time ago. Everything happens for a reason.

And the fact I had you on ignore, doesn't mean I ain't had both Slaven and Kyle (in fact, I've only un-ignored the latter -- banned or not, I'm still ignoring Yugo).

So calm down, I ain't 'blowing off' anyone.

Gee! You're sensitive.