Bynum to miss three weeks of action for Sixers

• Owner
Tom Moore ‏@tmoorepburbs

#Sixers release: Bynum will be withheld "from basketball activities for the next three weeks" as precautionary measure.

Tom Moore ‏@tmoorepburbs

Bynum: Knee felt "uncomfortable" and he said something to #Sixers and they suggested shutting it down for three weeks.

• Owner

I thought it was for the procedure he had done, but now I'm reading this:

Bynum was examined by Dr. Jack McPhilemy of Main Line Health and was diagnosed with a bone bruise of the medial femoral chondyle of his right knee. During the aforementioned time frame, Bynum will continue participate in low impact conditioning drills.

That's from an article on ESPN, and Marc Stein pointed this out as well.

• Like 1

It's only 3 weeks man calm down.

'only'? That's 10 games, man:

Date Opponent

Wed, Oct. 31st vs Denver

Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA

Sun, Nov. 4th @ New York

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Mon 5 vs New York

Wed 7 @ New Orleans

New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, LA

Fri 9 @ Boston

TD Garden, Boston, MA

Sat 10 @ Toronto

Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON

Mon 12 vs Milwaukee

Wed 14 vs Detroit

Fri 16 vs Utah

Sun 18 vs Cleveland

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

It's only 3 weeks man calm down.

It may only be 3 weeks, but given Bynum's past it certainly should be something to worry about.

If this was LeBron James or some other player who has been extremely durable throughout his career, sure, I'd agree that it would be nothing to get worked up about, but given Bynum's past? I would be concerned if I was a Sixer fan.

Also, missing training camp your first season with a new team, new coach, new teammates and a new system isn't exactly something to take lightly, either. You could possibly add another two-to-three weeks to that for him to get his conditioning back and a comfortable understanding of the new system and his new teammates tendancies.

Of course, he will still be able to observe and what not, so he won't be completely out to lunch when he does return, but there is no substitute for actually participating.

'only'? That's 10 games, man:

Date Opponent

Wed, Oct. 31st vs Denver

Sun, Nov. 4th @ New York

Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Mon 5 vs New York

Wed 7 @ New Orleans

New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, LA

Fri 9 @ Boston

TD Garden, Boston, MA

Sat 10 @ Toronto

Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON

Mon 12 vs Milwaukee

Wed 14 vs Detroit

Fri 16 vs Utah

Sun 18 vs Cleveland

Wait so three weeks equals 1 and a half months? That's new to me lol

I am fine with this, so long as it means he is getting the full effect of that treatment. Can only hope it works as well for him as it did for Kobe, and the others who have had it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner
john mitchell ‏@JmitchInquirer

Sixers schedule another injection for Bynum knees...not in Germany... More to come...

So, yeah...there are Lakers fans who are saying he was having this done a lot, but I don't remember that.

john mitchell ‏@JmitchInquirer

According to Bynum agent David Lee, Bynum always had this procedure twice a year. He described it as "routine lubrication."

Twice a year isn't a lot.

I'm going to assume they give him this particular injection near the beginning of the season, though (meaning, now), and then another during the season, sometime. That's just a positive way of looking at it.

In a negative light (because you know I have to, lol), I figured he wouldn't need this right now, simply because he just had his operation AND I believe one injection already (a non-surgical procedure), but I don't know.

Just saying...this is the shit I didn't like about having him on my favorite team. I always watched his knees when he was down low, prayed for his legs not to snap, and every single time he even gave any indication that he was hurting (even the slightest limp, which will happen a LOT), I anticipated the bad press conference.

• Owner

Supposedly this does not change the timetable, and he is still expected back for the regular season opener, so whatever.

Yeah, it shouldn't, given that it's just an injection. If it was during the season, he would probably miss just one game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

A little more uncertainty (it seems).

PHILADELPHIA — Turns out Andrew Bynum didn’t practice Wednesday and won’t work out with the team for the foreseeable future.

GM Tony DiLeo told the large media contingent on hand that Bynum is still experiencing discomfort in his right knee and won’t participate in any basketball activities until he is pain-free. It’s unclear when that will be.

Bynum, who missed training camp and the seven-game preseason to rest his surgically repaired knees, said there is still a chance he could be in the lineup for next Wednesday’s season opener against the Nuggets. There are five practices scheduled between now and the opener, and Bynum hasn't scrimmaged since the NBA playoffs in May or played with his Sixers teammates yet.

DiLeo was a bit less optimistic.

“It’s just a healing process,” DiLeo said. “When it heals, it heals.”

DiLeo admitted the Sixers are being somewhat cautious with Bynum prior to the start of the 82-game regular season.

“I would play with pain,” Bynum said. “If it were up to me, I would play.”

Collins, whose team went 6-1 in the preseason without Bynum, declined to speculate how long it’d take Bynum to be ready to play once he gets back on the court.

“I have no idea,” Collins said. “It’s all hypothetical. We’re not going to look over at (Bynum as) a lifeline. If this team feels like we can’t win without him, we won’t win.”

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixers/sixers-holding-bynum-out-until-he-s-pain-free/article_9f0121d4-6fb1-5274-b48f-b58834c28c86.html

...and so it begins.

Doesn't matter how talented the kid is. With his injuries and attitude, he's never gonna be a true franchise player. Something is gonna have to change with those two areas before he will live up to his potential.

I am not freaking out about this. Certainly don't want him rushed. He has said that if this were April, he'd be playing. So if he's to be taken at his word, that is a good sign. I feel like this team can be top 8 in the East with or without him. Not too concerned with seeding. I just want him 100% when he gets back, whenever that is. I really hope they are as cautious as possible here. Seems like they are, so that's good.