First Presidential Debate 2012

Cobb

Even CNN is saying Romney waxed Obama's ass tonight. It was great to watch.

You can really tell Obama has no clue on how to run anything, let alone a business and a country.

I can't wait for Paul Ryan to make Biden look awful. :lol: .

but Obama will be re-elected, so wise of you though...

• Owner

Obama can't go all out in these first two debates...it would be a mistake. He has to attack Mitt slightly in the second, then go full arsenal in the final debate, so Romney doesn't have an opportunity to plan a convincing rebuttal.

I almost got the feeling that Romney threw his biggest arguments on the table tonight. From this point on, his strengths will have to be repeated arguments, rather than bringing something new...and that's where Obama comes in.

You're basically butting heads with one of the greatest speakers in history, despite what you feel about his first term as President...and you can't show your hand THIS early (Mitt), even if you are behind a bit.

It almost made me sick to hear Romney preaching in favor of the middle class as much as he did. Whether you're for him or against him, you know for a fact that's not his focus...but tonight, he repeatedly brought them up (us up, since I'm middle class) and almost spoke to rake in voters, rather than to tell us what he will do OR what he will try to do once he's elected.

I could also see that Obama was a bit ticked off that Romney continued to claim that there would be $700 billion cuts in Medicare if he was not elected...without actually explaining what those cuts were, exactly. Instead of defining them as cuts to the actual costs of services, he warped it enough to make everyone think the plan was to cut into coverage. Obama made it clear as day what he wanted to do (used to "one test instead of multiple tests + doctors" example, which would help cut costs), but it was overlooked.

Ryan will probably dominate Biden. Who knows, really. However, it's going to take that PLUS an incredible three debates by Romney, and I think he may have given away his specialty punch tonight, and Obama will most definitely take advantage of that, especially when they get the green light to start slinging mud at each other...because quite frankly, it's going to be difficult to sling mud at a four-year President who has already heard it all up to this point.

As much as I thought he was a nutcase who wanted us to convert back to the 70's way of living, Ron Paul would have had a better chance against him...running as a Republican and gathering a handful of votes from the Democrats (more than Romney would get). But at the end of the day, the only man alive that could contest Obama on that stage would be Bill Clinton, and he's swinging the bat from the same team + he has already served his two, so I have no clue how Obama could manage to lose this one.

• Like 2

Obama can't go all out in these first two debates...it would be a mistake. He has to attack Mitt slightly in the second, then go full arsenal in the final debate, so Romney doesn't have an opportunity to plan a convincing rebuttal.

I almost got the feeling that Romney threw his biggest arguments on the table tonight. From this point on, his strengths will have to be repeated arguments, rather than bringing something new...and that's where Obama comes in.

You're basically butting heads with one of the greatest speakers in history, despite what you feel about his first term as President...and you can't show your hand THIS early (Mitt), even if you are behind a bit.

It almost made me sick to hear Romney preaching in favor of the middle class as much as he did. Whether you're for him or against him, you know for a fact that's not his focus...but tonight, he repeatedly brought them up (us up, since I'm middle class) and almost spoke to rake in voters, rather than to tell us what he will do OR what he will try to do once he's elected.

I could also see that Obama was a bit ticked off that Romney continued to claim that there would be $700 billion cuts in Medicare if he was not elected...without actually explaining what those cuts were, exactly. Instead of defining them as cuts to the actual costs of services, he warped it enough to make everyone think the plan was to cut into coverage. Obama made it clear as day what he wanted to do (used to "one test instead of multiple tests + doctors" example, which would help cut costs), but it was overlooked.

Ryan will probably dominate Biden. Who knows, really. However, it's going to take that PLUS an incredible three debates by Romney, and I think he may have given away his specialty punch tonight, and Obama will most definitely take advantage of that, especially when they get the green light to start slinging mud at each other...because quite frankly, it's going to be difficult to sling mud at a four-year President who has already heard it all up to this point.

As much as I thought he was a nutcase who wanted us to convert back to the 70's way of living, Ron Paul would have had a better chance against him...running as a Republican and gathering a handful of votes from the Democrats (more than Romney would get). But at the end of the day, the only man alive that could contest Obama on that stage would be Bill Clinton, and he's swinging the bat from the same team + he has already served his two, so I have no clue how Obama could manage to lose this one.

Agree with most of this.

I'll start off by saying that Mitt Romney is a good debater. He's a seasoned politician. Everything was scripted from the start, if you noticed, as Obama hesitated on multiple answers because he had to actually think of a reply. Romney simply had a quick response for everything, because it was pretty much all memorized.

Romney was at his absolute best last night. Will it be good enough? Unlikely, but now it seems plausible he could still possibly win the Presidency.

I disagree with Real Deal on one key thing...Obama had a chance to take Romney out last night, end the Presidential race for good with this debate...and he was totally off his game. The fact he didn't mention Romney's 47% comments were crazy to me. How about Paul Ryan, his running mates, recent comments he doesn't have time to explain their tax plan?

Although it was a domestic debate, he didn't mention women's health issues on the health care topic, and he didn't bring up abortion at all either.

Romney totally threw Obama off on his unpredictable stances on everything from tax cuts to health care. No one knows what he will actually do as President. It's hilarious, Romney simply takes the side of whatever is popular in America. People protesting about Obamacare? Let's repeal it! In front of a Conservative audience? 20% tax cuts for everyone across the board. In front of a liberal audience? We NEED regulation on Wall Street.

It's so funny to me that America is to stupid to see the flip flopping on the key issues. He says whatever he needs to say to look good in front of that audience, and he did that tonight which is why Obama said NUMEROUS times "I guess me and Gov. Romney agree........"

It was as bad as I've seen Pres. Obama in a debate, I was disappointed in his performance, and overall I thought the debate was poorly run by the moderator as he should've let both candidates continue at certain times instead of cutting them off, and he didn't tackle many of the issues that are part of the domestic agenda of each candidate.

Edited by JYD

• Owner

I disagree with Real Deal on one key thing...Obama had a chance to take Romney out last night, end the Presidential race for good with this debate...and he was totally off his game. The fact he didn't mention Romney's 47% comments were crazy to me. How about Paul Ryan, his running mates, recent comments he doesn't have time to explain their tax plan?

Although it was a domestic debate, he didn't mention women's health issues on the health care topic, and he didn't bring up abortion at all either.

I don't know. If I were in his shoes, I would have played defense, also. The fact that Romney won the coin toss, to get in the last word, basically helped him make that decision as well. It really doesn't seem THAT relevant, but the fact is, the first debate won't be as memorable as the last...and if Romney was going to close out the first one, it was a wise decision for Obama to hold back and defend his stance on particular issues that Romney fought against, rather than blasting Mitt from the start and losing that thunder to Romney's closing statements.

I mean, it's similar to when I'm debating here. I don't put all of my eggs in the basket right off the bat. I'll say something, argue a couple of times, and wait for the slip or for any door to open far enough for me to slam it shut as hard as I can. You can't get everyone's attention by pushing a nearly-closed door shut, but if it's wide open, you can turn heads quickly.

Now that Obama has come out looking like he's holding back (or to some, looking like he's defeated), all eyes will be on him...and that's the point.

Good speakers want you to hear. Great speakers demand that you listen.

• Like 1

I don't know. If I were in his shoes, I would have played defense, also. The fact that Romney won the coin toss, to get in the last word, basically helped him make that decision as well. It really doesn't seem THAT relevant, but the fact is, the first debate won't be as memorable as the last...and if Romney was going to close out the first one, it was a wise decision for Obama to hold back and defend his stance on particular issues that Romney fought against, rather than blasting Mitt from the start and losing that thunder to Romney's closing statements.

I mean, it's similar to when I'm debating here. I don't put all of my eggs in the basket right off the bat. I'll say something, argue a couple of times, and wait for the slip or for any door to open far enough for me to slam it shut as hard as I can. You can't get everyone's attention by pushing a nearly-closed door shut, but if it's wide open, you can turn heads quickly.

Now that Obama has come out looking like he's holding back (or to some, looking like he's defeated), all eyes will be on him...and that's the point.

Good speakers want you to hear. Great speakers demand that you listen.

True. The 2nd and last debates will be important, because he's definitely given Mitt some momentum here.

Very curious to see what the effect in the polling numbers will be. I expect Mitt to get a 1-2 point jump in the National poll, which will make it pretty much even. But I expect him to close the gap by 2-3 points in the swing states, where Obama will still be leading by a fairly significant margin in many of them.

At Last Night’s Debate: Romney Told 27 Myths In 38 Minutes

Pundits from both sides of the aisle have lauded Mitt Romney’s strong debate performance, praising his preparedness and ability to challenge President Obama’s policies and accomplishments. But Romney only accomplished this goal by repeatedly misleading viewers. He spoke for 38 minutes of the 90 minute debate and told at least 27 myths:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/10/04/958801/at-last-nights-debate-romney-told-27-myths-in-38-minutes/?mobile=nc

Romney Goes On Offense, Pays For It In First Wave Of Fact Checks

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/03/162263539/romney-goes-on-offense-pays-for-it-in-first-wave-of-fact-checks?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Romney’s Successful Debate Plan: Lying

Political reporters and pundits lean heavily on the horse race method of coverage, which has badly hurt Mitt Romney for most of the campaign. Last night it helped him. Romney was forceful and articulate and dodged his association with almost all the most unpopular aspects of his platform. But his success at doing so was built upon two demonstrable untruths.

The most important was taxes. Romney asserted, “I cannot reduce the burden paid by high-income Americans.” Let me explain how this is untrue even by his own campaign’s accounting.

Obama badly flubbed this topic by allowing Romney to change the baseline of the discussion. Romney is promising to extend all the Bush tax cuts and refuses to accept even slightly higher revenue as part of a deficit deal. On top of that, he is proposing a huge, regressive income tax rate cut that would reduce revenue by an additional $5 trillion, but promises to make up for it by closing tax deductions. Obama directed his fire almost entirely at the additional tax cut, leaving mostly untouched, until the end, Romney’s pledge to never bargain away any of the Bush tax cuts.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/romneys-successful-debate-plan-lying.html

Edited by iMan

Its like a completely different man speaking. I guess that's what happens when you have someone write speeches for you and you get to read it off a teleprompter.

Kinda like how ecn tells you to post for him?