Washington at Cleveland

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Battle of the young PG's. I know few will want to watch this one over Boston/Miami, but I'll have to DVR this. I want to see how Irving and Wall attack each other, given that they will be the two best players on the court...and not only that, but how Wall adjusts to his new team.

Word is that Wall has been working on that jumper, so that'll be interesting to see, also.

Battle of the young PG's. I know few will want to watch this one over Boston/Miami, but I'll have to DVR this. I want to see how Irving and Wall attack each other, given that they will be the two best players on the court...and not only that, but how Wall adjusts to his new team.

Word is that Wall has been working on that jumper, so that'll be interesting to see, also.

You're making me sad. :(

• Like 1

• Owner

Isn't Wall out for the first month or so?

NEVERRRRMMMINNND. Guess I'm catching all of Boston/Miami. :lol:

Sorry Umair. Hang in there, bro.

I'll flip over a few times, though, just to see how Irving is doing.

Adding another top pick to that Washington team is going to have them in good shape 365 days from now. I feel like those moves they made came a year too early. Winning 34 games would be the worst thing that this team could do at this point I feel.

Huge fan of John Wall though, Beal too. Love that backcourt moving forward. Just like Arenas and Hughes back in the day, except infinitely better.

Very excited. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game due to an untimely accounting exam.

Coach Scott announced that Dion Waiters is starting at shooting guard, which is kind of a surprise as I thought it would be CJ Miles for sure. So our starting lineup is extremely young tonight (Irving/Waiters/Gee/Thompson/Varejao).

It'd be really nice to start with a win, especially because we have a tough stretch coming up (Chicago at home then a 6 game road trip).

Go Cavs!

They don't have a choice. He literally HAS to be at least a 3rd option type of scorer. Just a brutal, brutal draft pick when your franchise player is a stud point guard. Why do you draft a guy with a shaky jumper who is at his best with the ball in his hands? I am surprised Scott started him too, for 2 reasons.

1. He didn't earn that spot. He was [expletive]ing brutal in the pre-season, and showed no signs of being ready to contribute as a starter to an NBA team. Scott seems like an old school coach, and I even remember him pushing Kyrie to 'earn' that spot (even if he didn't really have to)

2. The kid needs the ball in his hands. Starting him with Kyrie is going to lead to a lot of standing around and him clanking jumpers. And when he does get the ball, he is probably not going to give it back. I'd like to see him as the first guard off the bench, and have the offense run through him at times.

I think him starting is a way of Cleveland just accepting they are headed towards another top 5 pick this year, only this time they can't afford to [expletive] it up. Kyrie's extension period will be here before you know it (I know its only his 2nd year).

I want to try and watch him a bit tonight so I can form a better opinion. I am still assuming a bit to fill in the gaps from what I haven't been able to watch of him, and it is pre-season after all. Needless to say though, I am far from sold on him. I think Cleveland [expletive]ed up brutally in their Kyrie support picks. Don't need to remind you that a Kyrie-Barnes-Valanciunas core is pretty sexy.

Edited by Check my Stats

They don't have a choice. He literally HAS to be at least a 3rd option type of scorer. Just a brutal, brutal draft pick when your franchise player is a stud point guard. Why do you draft a guy with a shaky jumper who is at his best with the ball in his hands? I am surprised Scott started him too, for 2 reasons.

1. He didn't earn that spot. He was [expletive]ing brutal in the pre-season, and showed no signs of being ready to contribute as a starter to an NBA team. Scott seems like an old school coach, and I even remember him pushing Kyrie to 'earn' that spot (even if he didn't really have to)

2. The kid needs the ball in his hands. Starting him with Kyrie is going to lead to a lot of standing around and him clanking jumpers. And when he does get the ball, he is probably not going to give it back. I'd like to see him as the first guard off the bench, and have the offense run through him at times.

I think him starting is a way of Cleveland just accepting they are headed towards another top 5 pick this year, only this time they can't afford to [expletive] it up. Kyrie's extension period will be here before you know it (I know its only his 2nd year).

I want to try and watch him a bit tonight so I can form a better opinion. I am still assuming a bit to fill in the gaps from what I haven't been able to watch of him, and it is pre-season after all. Needless to say though, I am far from sold on him. I think Cleveland [expletive]ed up brutally in their Kyrie support picks. Don't need to remind you that a Kyrie-Barnes-Valanciunas core is pretty sexy.

We have more than 2 picks for each of the next three drafts, as well as plenty of cap space so we are ore than equipped to add more talent. Even then, let's give Waiters and Zeller a chance before we come to conclusions.

Very good first win. Varejao was an absolute beast tonight with 9 points, 9 assists, and 23 rebounds. He was everywhere on the floor. Kyrie was dominate as well with 29 points. I would like to see him get his assists up (only had 3) but that crossover is deadly and he is great at finishing around the rim. Liked what I saw from Waiters as well. Had some big buckets in the 4th and finished with 17 points. Only downfall was our bench. We had an 18 point lead at one point and let it slip and eventually trailed in the 4th. But all in all a good game and I'm glad to have the first win of the season of the way.

When you're able to get into the lane that easily, relentless players like Varejao will feast on the glass. Sucks not to have Seraphin and Nene sitting on the bench in a game like this, both aren't great rebounders, but they box out and rotate so well on defense. Varejao would probably wind up with half of those boards.

Waiters looked good, but he struggles at finishing close to the basket. His outside jumper is definitely better than I had expected though.

Irving was dominant. He had the likes of AJ Price and Jannero Pargo on him though, so I'm really not that impressed with his performance. But the kid is a star already, I'll be surprised if he doesn't win an MVP trophy in the next 3 years. He's that good.

Beal struggled to find any ryhthm, but that's all on Wittman. He yanked him at the 4 minute mark of the first quarter because he got pick pocketed by Waiters and failed to run back on defense which allowed a fast break dunk, but didn't put him back in till the 2 minute mark of the second. He did the same in the third (around the 8 minute mark), and didn't out him back in till the 4 minute mark of the fourth. Hard to really establish anything (especially for a shooter).

This team will be hard to watch for the next month.