LA Lakers at Portland

• 4 weeks later...

He definitely didn't calm down with a game high 19 points. Picked it back up.

He absolutely did calm down, he was out of control the first few minutes. Flying too deep on fast break layups, driving and making dumb passes, and over aggressive on D. Controlled his emotions a bit and went off.

This is all on the defense tonight. Abysmal. Can't allow the Blazers to score 30+ in 3 straight quarters. As impressive as Dwight was on offense, his rotations were slow once again, he closed in late and allowed deep positioning, which led to some cheap fouls.

All the hype Lillard received this offseason is real. I won't be surprised if he has a rookie campaign similar to Kyrie Irving. Displays a lot of maturity on the court, and while he takes some questionable shots at times, most come within the flow of the offense.

Didn't like the calls Batum was getting. Those were some that could be called flops, and here I thought refs were told to swallow their whistles. Didn't like the rotations either. Defense was bad. Offense was hopeful. I had more to say, but i forgot it all.

Mike Brown never should have coached this team in the first place. Ridiculous hire. I wonder who is going to take over next summer. I actually feel bad for the guy, he never had a chance to begin with. And don't you dare say I am basing this just off 2 games, I have said he had no chance for the past 68 games and the day he got hired.

Didn't get the chance to watch again, which sucks. Despite Dwight's numbers, from what I've read on twitter, it still sounds like he isn't looking like normal Dwight. Any LA fans have a better take? I am just curious.

Howard told the media after the game. "He's our coach, and I just don't want to hear that kind of talk. I won't stand for it." When the confused reporters began to tell him that nobody had suggested it, Howard cut them off. "It's way too early for that talk," he said. "Not cool, guys. Mike Brown? Fired? Way too early. Come on."

That is easily the most hilarious thing Dwight has done yet. Honestly, he is by far the biggest meat head in the NBA. Kid doesn't have a god damn clue.

• Owner

Obviously coaching is not that great, but I think the lakers are just too old of a team and dont have a good bench. Nash already hurt his hand today.

Nash has a shin contusion, colliding with another player. Never hurt his hand, and it wasn't because of his age.

Mike Brown never should have coached this team in the first place. Ridiculous hire. I wonder who is going to take over next summer. I actually feel bad for the guy, he never had a chance to begin with. And don't you dare say I am basing this just off 2 games, I have said he had no chance for the past 68 games and the day he got hired.

Didn't get the chance to watch again, which sucks. Despite Dwight's numbers, from what I've read on twitter, it still sounds like he isn't looking like normal Dwight. Any LA fans have a better take? I am just curious.

Howard isn't jumping as high. He'll get up there every now and then, but there are times where you sense that he's kinda hurting, and he'll barely get off the ground for a board, or he'll go to contest a shot and simply bail out of it. His first shot attempt (in the Mavs game) was a missed dunk, right under the rim...but, later on, he caught a nasty oop that he finished easily.

---------

The "fire Mike Brown" comments aren't exactly because of the offense, but our defense. We haven't done anything on the defensive end for 10 games (including preseason), and people are fed up with him because he's a defensive-minded coach that has done three things:

1) has applied no visible defensive strategy to these games (or else we'd be seeing Kobe and Co. funnel to Dwight)

2) has relied on Eddie Jordan for all of our offensive needs...ALL OF IT

3) is putting rotations out there that are mind-blowing (Sacre, Jamison, Ebanks, Meeks and Blake...with a TON of clock left and a deficit not that big to overcome)

Right now, quite frankly, the team's offense is decent. We land a different facilitator every game, it seems...which is expected in the Princeton. Problem is, on that end of the court, we aren't running the offense correctly just yet. We aren't getting to certain spots, relying on dribble hand-offs FAR too much to put the ball in the basket, cuts aren't being made, players are hesitating BIG TIME (even Kobe and Nash) when needing to pass the ball to a particular area or player, and it's causing a lot of turnovers. Those turnovers are the biggest (maybe even the only glaring) problem we have on offense.

But defensively is where we are losing games, and it's not even in question. Nash is still as bad as he has ever been on the defensive end, and with Howard playing like he's hurt, that kills us right off the bat. Kobe has to roam, and then he leaves his man open for a three. Artest is doing the same as Kobe, and leaves guys like Batum open to launch. Gasol is being Gasoft. Jamison couldn't defend a sandwich from a single hungry ant...and that's Lakers basketball.

We all saw it with the Heat. The only thing was, Miami wasn't even running an offense back then (in the fall of 2010). They were going ISO to win games. We continue to pound the ball into this halfcourt offense, and hoping that everyone will adjust and learn quickly.

I know a lot of people want Nash to run, but again, I would rather see Nash adjust...the guy that has never seen the NBA Finals AND that has a high basketball IQ...than to see Kobe, Dwight, and Gasol adjusting to him. There was a play where Nash wanted to push last night, in the first quarter, and he had to slow it down because our guys aren't 23 years old...and Nash is nearly 39, but a small PG that plays 25 minutes a night, max.

We'll be fine. Just not for a while. Kobe will be the first to break, every game (he was last night, was vs. Dallas), and Dwight follows immediately after...expected from those two, simply because they aren't patient and are superstars. Nash and Gasol would rather drain the clock to learn the offense when we are down 10 points, and that's good sometimes, but we also can't lose games spending 48 minutes a game running the Princeton.

• Like 1