Random Sixers Thoughts 2012-13

Phightins

Time for a new thread, I'd say!

First preseason game tonight, in Orlando. Not on TV unfortunately.

Not basketball related, but Matt Cord will be back as the PA announcer at WFC next year. This means nothing to 99% of you, but for those in the Philly area who attend games, this is GREAT news. The guy they had last year was awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Sixers Waive Dan Gadzuric

PHILADELPHIA, PA. – OCTOBER 18, 2012 – The Philadelphia 76ers announced today that they have waived center Dan Gadzuric. The Sixers roster now stands at 15.

Gadzuric (6-11, 240) did not appear in any of the Sixers preseason games thus far. The 10-year veteran has played in 527 career games with 164 starts, averaging 4.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 0.85 blocks in 14.8 minutes per game.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/sixers-waive-dan-gadzuric-0

• 2 weeks later...

Bynum reportedly won't begin working out until December, playing games until January.

If the current prognosis holds unchanged, Bynum would be cleared to resume normal basketball activity by approximately December 10. In addition, the team estimates that Bynum in turn will need an additional 1-4 weeks thereafter for conditioning, training and practice before being able to resume game play with significant minutes.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/andrew-bynum-update

Edited by Phightins

• 1 month later...

Bynum update coming at 5:30pm. Given how this year has gone sports-wise, I am expecting the worst. I will be driving to the game when the update happens, which is funny, since the last bad news about Bynum also came when I was en route to a game.

Welp, if tonight goes as I think it will, the season is more or less over.

Edited by Phightins

I'm not going to be surprised to hear he's out for the entire season...but Philly can just take that opportunity and get out from under him. Sign-and-trade in July. Get away from that mess.

Sadly, I feel like getting away from Bynum means blowing all the cap space on some mediocre free agent. Lose-lose situation.

Also, on an unrelated note, am I the only Sixer fan that is beginning to get annoyed with Doug Collins? I think it is great that Moultrie is headed to the d-league, since sitting around doing nothing with the NBA team is doing nothing for him. But, given how awful our current crop of Bynum-less bigs is, could it have really hurt to give him some burn up here? What was there to lose?

• Owner

Sadly, I feel like getting away from Bynum means blowing all the cap space on some mediocre free agent. Lose-lose situation.

Also, on an unrelated note, am I the only Sixer fan that is beginning to get annoyed with Doug Collins? I think it is great that Moultrie is headed to the d-league, since sitting around doing nothing with the NBA team is doing nothing for him. But, given how awful our current crop of Bynum-less bigs is, could it have really hurt to give him some burn up here? What was there to lose?

That's true, unless you can pull off a sign-and-trade. A lot of teams won't be able to afford him right out of the gates, so there's always a chance you make a good deal. Doesn't have to be great, but at least you can get back some young talent that you can put on the court.

As far as Collins goes, probably not...but Lakers fans felt the same way about Phil Jackson not playing rookies and sophomores, even when we desperately needed them at certain positions. Of course, it's us questioning an 11-time NBA champion coach. Collins doesn't have the hardware, but it does somewhat relate.

Well, it could have been worse I guess. DiLeo didn't really give any substantial new information, nor did he rule out that Bynum may miss the season. But it's nice that he can ramp up his physical activity, I guess.

After denying fans a chance at a free cheeseburger, Doug Collins promises to pay for 18,000 fans’ free sandwiches

On Friday night Philadelphia 76ers coach Doug Collins defiantly thumbed his nose at one of our least-favorite NBA traditions – the fast food “earning” ticket giveaways that teams usually provide to fans if the home team scores over 100 points.

With nine of the NBA’s 30 teams averaging over 100 points a contest, a number sure to rise as the NBA typically improves offensively as the season moves on, it’s not exactly a marvel when teams hit triple-digits. And yet several NBA teams offer a take on this promotion, which leaves teams in the tricky and often embarrassing situation of having to score needless points at the end of either safe wins or blowout losses in order to satisfy the home crowd’s craving for something they’re usually embarrassed to eat. With his Sixers already up 99-80 over the Atlanta Hawks on Friday, Collins demanded guard Evan Turner dribble out the clock so not to show up their opponent, and the always on-point Philadelphia crowd responded with boos.

Full Story

LOL!

My friend and I left the game with 2 minutes left because we could not take any more of the Big Mac nonsense. Such a joke. Team plays their best game in weeks and nobody in the arena gives a shit until free Big Macs are on the line.

Oh hey, lets go buy a ticket to an NBA game, pay $15 for parking, drink $8 beers all night, and then boo the team off the court because we don't get a coupon for a free $4 sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...