DeAndre JORDAN vs Marcin GORTAT

Sħãlïq™

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marcin GORTAT vs DeAndre JORDAN

http://i.imgur.com/hOsYq.png

Inspired by:

Marcin GORTAT:

•  
  • Draft History: 2005 Phoenix Suns, 2nd round, 27th pick
  • Career Averages: 8.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.1 BPG
  • Breakdown: Once the backup center for Dwight Howard on the Orlando Magic, Marcin Gortat began to flourish once he was dealt to the Phoenix Suns during the 2010-11 season.

Featuring both a solid postgame and the range to knock down a mid-range jump shot, Gortat is coming off of his best NBA season in which he averaged 15.4 PPG and 10.0 RPG.

Gortat's larger role in the Valley of the Sun really gave him the opportunity to come to his own. The Polish Hammer's refined and thorough postgame should be studied by the Clippers' young center.

DeAndre JORDAN:

•  
  • Draft History: 2008 Los Angeles Clippers, 2nd round, 5th pick
  • Career Averages: 6.0 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 0.3 APG, 1.5 BPG
  • Breakdown: The onus is really on DeAndre Jordan to make the jump to elite status this season. During the summer, Jordan tightened up his postgame and worked on his woeful free-throw shooting. These offseason adjustments were necessary, but until DJ can find some consistency on a nightly basis, the Clippers will continue to have some trouble at the center position.

Compared to the aforementioned players, Jordan is still in a position to control his own destiny. Below is a table of the players organized by the player efficiency rating (PER) of his fourth NBA season.

Comparing DeAndre Jordan to Other Notable 2nd Round Big Man Picks in NBA History

Overall, Jordan is more talented and when he's on he makes a far bigger impact on both sides of the ball.

However, a lot like players like Javale McGee, his play is bi-polar. On a bad day his FT shooting gets horribly exposed, he is not engaged, and his need to go after every block can expose his defensive flaws and lead to easy baskets.

Gortat's ceiling isn't as high, but he's more consistent and stable. People tend to underrate his ability, but he is a very capable defender, rebounder and has decent offensive talent.

Definitely Gortat, he's a more established player, Deandre is very raw right now.

Very good pick and roll player, good rebounder, and his offensive repertoire, while not great, is still light years ahead of Jordan. Deandre is a slightly better rebounder, but everything is, Gortat has him beat.

Definitely Gortat, he's a more established player, Deandre is very raw right now.

Very good pick and roll player, good rebounder, and his offensive repertoire, while not great, is still light years ahead of Jordan. Deandre is a slightly better rebounder, but everything is, Gortat has him beat.

You'd take Gortat over Jordan? Wow. I'll take Jordan. Although he can be inconsistent, his talent is so much better it's worth the risk. He can be a true game changer

You'd take Gortat over Jordan? Wow. I'll take Jordan. Although he can be inconsistent, his talent is so much better it's worth the risk. He can be a true game changer

Sure, take Jordan if you're starting a franchise, but give me Gortat to have the better season.

iMan nailed it. With Deandre, more often than not, he's hurting you on offense, and as the starting center, I'd at least hope he can play in the fourth quarter (he does not).

His upside is high, but I really don't see him ever living up to his contract.

iMan nailed it. With Deandre, more often than not, he's hurting you on offense, and as the starting center, I'd at least hope he can play in the fourth quarter (he does not).

His upside is high, but I really don't see him ever living up to his contract.

Fair enough. I guess it also depends on the make up of your team and who else is on the roster. Jordan can be nice to protect the basket if he's playing on a bad defensive team.

(...) With Deandre, more often than not, he's hurting you on offense, and as the starting center, I'd at least hope he can play in the fourth quarter (he does not). (...)

Unless, DeAndre has a breakout year this season which I'm sure of.

Always believed he can take it to the next level -- he's shown it in flashes. Only a matter of time before he breaks through. Mad propz to Iavaroni for helplin' him develop them 1-2 post moves (with counters). Still has a looong way to go but I done seen enough to give him the nod over Gortat.

Edited by Sħãlïq

• Owner

Only because preseason numbers are irrelevant to me, here are their numbers last season:

Gortat		Jordan
15.4 PPG	 7.4 PPG
10.0 RPG	 8.3 RPG
1.5 BPG	 2.0 BPG
21.2 PER	16.4 PER

Right, but that's also with Nash making Gortat his go-to guy, which is never, ever a bad thing (no matter who you are).

And yes, preseason numbers are also irrelevant to me. Ebanks just dropped 20 in a game a few days ago. He's not starting over Ron.

But, regardless, I'm still taking Gortat for one reason: his defense. He's a better on-ball and help defender. I know DeAndre is athletic and can swat shots, but Gortat can handle almost any center down low, no matter the size...and his ability to box out (using his strength) makes up for what Jordan can do athletically.

I won't discuss their offensive games because, again, Nash made Gortat his P&R big man, and that's going to get you buckets. DeAndre would have seen his PPG rise as well, if Nash (or even CP3) would have used him that frequently...and even though CP3 is the best PG in the NBA, nobody runs the P&R better than Nash.

even though CP3 is the best PG in the NBA, nobody runs the P&R better than Nash.

Eh, they're close enough to where you can make a reasoned judgement on their offensive capabilities from it.. not that I'm disagreeing on Nash being top dog, but Paul isn't far behind at #2. Jordan just simply had (and still has) a much more talented player running it in front of him in Griffin