Jrue Holiday Signs Contract Extension

Phightins

Yeah, I was expecting a big overpay. So this makes me happy.

Well, this is a fairly large overpayment if he doesn't take a step forward this year.

Much like the DeRozan extension (although not nearly as bad since, at the very worst, Holiday is a great defender while DeRozan doesn't do anything great), these extensions seem to be banking on the player taking a step forward this season and are based more on potential than actual production.

Well, this is a fairly large overpayment if he doesn't take a step forward this year.

Much like the DeRozan extension (although not nearly as bad since, at the very worst, Holiday is a great defender while DeRozan doesn't do anything great), these extensions seem to be banking on the player taking a step forward this season and are based more on potential than actual production.

I don't mind these type of extensions really, because if the players pan out and take the leap, you look like a genius. It's a risk, but players like Jrue, Taj Gibson, and Steph Curry have shown a lot of promise.

I'm not sure with Demar though, his shot is so iffy as is his defense, I really can't see him taking the leap that I expect Jrue to.

Even if Jrue doesn't make a huge leap, I don't think this is a bad deal in the current NBA climate.

If you have a point who gives you 14 a night and doesn't hurt you offensively (low apg last year but lets see how he runs the offense with Iggy gone, 11 assists last night), can stroke the three and is a very good defender.... well that player is probably getting close to a max contract in free agency from someone, or at the very least one of those poison pill things. Not to mention the kid is only 22 and doesn't turn 23 until after this season.

Of all the extensions signed for this class, this is by far my favourite (with Demar's obviously way at the bottom, [expletive]). One player I will be watching for this year.

Agreed about paying for potential, but I am fine with that (maybe I am just a Sixers homer who overrates Jrue too much, who knows).There is definitely risk involved, but I think this is very fair. Maybe I went into this with the wrong mindset. I did not see this coming at all. I was expecting Jrue to go into next summer without a new deal, and some guard-hungry team would make a ridiculous offer. So, I was pretty much expecting to lose him after the season, which makes this a pleasant surprise. That, combined with how far apart the two sides supposedly were, and this really came out of left field.

or a Billy King.

Got yall both beat.

I don't think so.

Since Bryan Colangelo took over during the 2005-06 NBA season, the team has invested more than $240 million in the following players:

Andrea Bargnani

Jose Calderon

Linas Kleiza

Amir Johnson

Landry Fields

Jason Kapono

Hedo Turkoglu

With DeRozan added to the list, the Raptors have spent over a quarter of a billion dollars in players who haven’t contributed a lot to winning basketball games. It pretty much explains why the team has been so painfully mediocre in the Bryan Colangelo era.

Add to this the fact that Colangelo traded TJ Ford, a huge expiring (Rasho Nesterovic) and Roy Hibbert to the Pacers for a broken down Jermaine O'Neal making $20+M a year, and he has spent almost $300M on players who, for the most part, aren't even league average. Granted he did manage to get out of the Turkoglu and Kapono deals as well as trade O'Neal so the Raptors didn't actually spend the full amount but you get my point.

Although it is close as King was a disaster, but I think Colangelo wins.

Agreed about paying for potential, but I am fine with that (maybe I am just a Sixers homer who overrates Jrue too much, who knows).There is definitely risk involved, but I think this is very fair. Maybe I went into this with the wrong mindset. I did not see this coming at all. I was expecting Jrue to go into next summer without a new deal, and some guard-hungry team would make a ridiculous offer. So, I was pretty much expecting to lose him after the season, which makes this a pleasant surprise. That, combined with how far apart the two sides supposedly were, and this really came out of left field.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the extension by any means. I can fully understand why Holiday was given it because, like a lot of other people, I expect him to take that leap this season with his increased role. I do like his game.

I was just pointing out that on the chance that Iguodala wasn't holding Holiday back and what we saw from him last season is what we will see from him the rest of his career, then this is a pretty big overpayment because he really wasn't very good offensively. Defensively, he was very good, but he was well below average offensively.

• Like 1