Are the Knicks better without Amare?

Real Deal

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Once teams start getting in all shooters it's gonna go back to the same in Melo chucking and no one else hitting.

I don't think this is true at all. This team is miles deeper than the past couple years, we don't have to deal with Toney Douglas and Bill Walker chucking and making nothing. Melo has also played a completely different game to start this season than he did last year, so I'm not sure he'd just decide to change his mind.

I think that if you bring Amar'e off the bench with the 2nd unit, that offensive output doesn't miss a beat between rotations.

Said it plenty of times in the past, they are, especially if Melo keeps playing like this.

I know this is the NBA, and no one is untradeable, but I don't think they could get anything in return for him right now. He has to build up some value.

Edited by AboveLegit

Melo's been nothing special so far. He's playing hard, but his game still has a lot of holes.

And until we see this team with a healthy/somewhat healthy Amare, it's impossible to say. Since Amare came to NY he hasn't had this level of PG play, 'nor the defense, veterans and depth that the Knicks are now stockpiled with. It will be a lot easier for him now to mesh offensively now that he's got guys like Kidd and Felton (who was his teammate when he was playing at an MVP level), and defensively and on the boards he's got plenty of guys to make up for some of his deficiencies.

Or, it could all go to shit and he will 100% be the black sheep. But we need to see him with this roster for a good stretch before we make that assumption.

The real question is what will be our lineup at the end of games when him and shump come back

Felton, Kidd, Shumpert, JR, Melo, Amar'e, Chandler, and even Novak when he is hot all have a right to play down the stretch...I keep coming up with lineups to play, should be interesting...

Outside of the Pacers, no other contender in the East really plays inside out. It's too early to make any kind of fair assessment about Bynum and the Sixers so I'll keep them out of this discussion for now.

Because the East is so perimeter oriented I don't see why the Knicks cant play small ball the whole season especially with Melo playing with such a motor. Knicks have to keep Amare though unless they can get a player(s) of equal or superior offensive talent. Melo is going to have off days, and when that happens you have to have another player who can come in and score. But like someone mentioned earlier, I highly doubt Amare is going to be open to the idea of being the sixth man when he has started his whole entire career.

I honestly find it hard to believe any team is better while getting rid of a legit first option offensively, especially as a big man. I don't get why Melo can't play like he is right now, at the 3. Its not like Amare and Chandler clog up the post on offense (Chandler is a non-threat and Amare plays face up mostly it seems), why does he need to settle on offense just because he is at the 3? Especially come playoff time, where you can't get by if you don't have a legit 2nd option on offense, which the Knicks do not right now without Stoudemire.

I have been one to hate on Amare over the years, but I still can't help but feel if this team somehow meshed, they could be a huge threat. On paper, this is a sick team (after adding Chandler). I think the addition of Kidd has been huge for this team offensively.

I pretty much agree with Nitro. Lets see him on the floor with Kidd and Felton. Simmons said it vs. the Heat, people sometimes underestimate the value of having a competent PG at times, not good, just competent. With that said, Amare needs to be more committed defensively and on the glass obviously, and play at a higher level. When I watch the Knicks (admittedly not too often) I see Chandler shaking his head or just looking right at Amare after scores right where he was supposed to be.

Well yeah, but that's always been his biggest flaw. So for him to play smarter and harder is huge.

I never said he was playing smarter (offensively, anyway). And playing harder fixes up some issues, but doesn't change the fact that he still has poor shot selection, has a hard time playing off-ball and isn't great at making plays for others.

Dude averaged 28PPG just a few seasons ago. He has a shitload of talent and is one of the best players in the NBA. What he's done through the first few games isn't necessarily anything new, and until he can fix up those other areas of his game I will always question if he can be the #1 guy on a title team.

Melo's been nothing special so far. He's playing hard, but his game still has a lot of holes.

And until we see this team with a healthy/somewhat healthy Amare, it's impossible to say. Since Amare came to NY he hasn't had this level of PG play, 'nor the defense, veterans and depth that the Knicks are now stockpiled with. It will be a lot easier for him now to mesh offensively now that he's got guys like Kidd and Felton (who was his teammate when he was playing at an MVP level), and defensively and on the boards he's got plenty of guys to make up for some of his deficiencies.

Or, it could all go to shit and he will 100% be the black sheep. But we need to see him with this roster for a good stretch before we make that assumption.

This. I can always count on you to have consistent, intelligent and accurate commentary when it comes to basketball man. When you left for that period of time, I really missed your posting. Seriously.

I voted for the first option, because to be honest, If I were Knicks GM and someone actually would TAKE Amar'e Stoudemire and his huge contract off my hands, I do it in a heartbeat. But, there's no team out there that's willing to do that.

Nitro is right though. I've been saying this for months. Neither Carmelo or Amar'e have been healthy enough for a continuous amount of time to see if they can truly fit together. As well as a deeper team, more size, and much improved PG play, it's impossible to say at this point whether they can co-exist. I know it's not the sexy, blunt answer that people on this site like to give, but it's the truth.