Byron Scott - "Varejao best center in NBA"

CLEVELAND — There are several centers in the NBA right now. But none of them are putting up the kind of numbers that Anderson Varejao is.

“To me, he’s the best center in the NBA,” Cavaliers coach Byron Scott said. “He’s by far the best in the Eastern Conference. Coaches and players are starting to recognize how well he’s playing. He has nine games of 15 or more rebounds. I don’t think there’s anyone in the league close to that right now.”

Varejao is averaging 14.1 points, a league-high 14.7 rebounds and 3.2 assists. He’s also shooting 51 percent from the field and 77.8 percent from the foul line.

Full Story

As bad as our team is, I wish everyone could see this dude play. Problem is, we don't have any nationally televised games. What he brings to the table I've never seen from a basketball player.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Just a non-stop motor. Cavs are struggling (expected) and we are without Kyrie, but Andy makes the games so exciting to watch. Hell, he has even stepped out and hit some 17 footers and a buzzer beating fade-away the other night, lol.

• Owner

What he brings to the table I've never seen from a basketball player.

I'm not going to gripe about the idea of Varejao being an all-star out East...but the statement above is stretching it, lol.

And I can't call him the best center in the NBA. Byron Scott would, though, for obvious reasons...much like Doc Rivers would say that Kevin Garnett is still the best big man in the game today.

I didn't mean he does it all. I mean I've never seen a player bring the type of energy that he does.

And I think Byron pointing this out is more so to get Andy attention. Most people still think all he does is flop, but in reality that was what he did 5-6 years ago.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

He's a very underrated player. In a lot of ways he's Joakim Noah light...very agile, versatile defender with a ton of energy, rebounding ability, great off-ball cutter, and has some passing and ballhandling ability (though I think that's where Noah gets the edge). Would make an awesome role player on any contender.

Put another big man next to him that will work his ass off like a Noah, Carl Landry or even Brandon Bass and you'll never be outrebounded.

It is a stretch to call him the best center in the league, but he is for sure among the top right now. I did expect this out of him sooner or later, he works too hard on team that doesn't have too much talent. He has to be the beast that he is developing into.

He's a good player don't get me wrong...and he's annoying when he's playing against your favorite team because he works so hard.

Best center in the league though? I don't know. I mean, I'm still taking Tyson Chandler for sure, and even Dwight (although he's a clown).

Edited by JYD

i like varejao. i live and chicago and my brothers are die hard bulls fans and i tell all the time jokiam noah is a poor man's varejao. been saying for a couple years now. he now just showing truly because he is finally healthy. there both energy player but varejao actually is solid offensively. jokiam noah is absolutely horrendous on offense. while noah is a better rim protector shot blocking wise, AV is a better overall defender. AV is also is a better rebounder aswell.

but no, he is not the best center in the league. if he keeps playing like this he might be the best in the east tho.

Edited by Paris