David Stern furious with Gregg Popovich

ChosenOne

I agree its harsh, and if he does this, then he has to do it when teams rest their good players for the playoffs once they lock up a certain seed. I think the biggest reason for this was because they were playing us on national television. I am sure just as many people tuned in to watch us almost lose, but its the thought of taking away from the big names people pay to see. The real difference between people paying to watch us play the Spurs as compared to playing the Wizards or something is the talent of the other team.....and when you ship all your talent back home, its kind of like taking away what people paid to see.

They almost beat us, but its more about the NBA image at this point rather than the result of the game.

what happens at the end of the season when most teams rest their starters. stern going to hand out 250k fines? stay consistent

Big difference when it's early in the season and the game is nationally televised against the defending champs rather than a game that is meaningless and that team has already secured a playoff spot.

Big difference when it's early in the season and the game is nationally televised against the defending champs rather than a game that is meaningless and that team has already secured a playoff spot.

no there isn't. a nationally televised game makes no difference. the nba and tnt have a multiyear contract, and this game will have no impact on money for the nba

no there isn't. a nationally televised game makes no difference. the nba and tnt have a multiyear contract, and this game will have no impact on money for the nba

I never said it had impact on money for the NBA. Stern aplogized to the fans for Pop sitting out those players. It was dissapointing for the fans who watched the game on television or live.

I never said it had impact on money for the NBA. Stern aplogized to the fans for Pop sitting out those players. It was dissapointing for the fans who watched the game on television or live.

before the controversy i wouldn't have watched the game. it was just some random november game and there were two football games on. then the controversy sparks and the game was pretty good. stern should be thanking pop

This is incredibly stupid.

The Spurs should not be fined at all for this. Yes, they NBA is a business and most people want to see the starts play, but at the end of the day, the Spurs need to care about their players and playoff chances more than an early season nationally televised game.

The Celtics do the same thing with KG, Piece, ect. when they need to rest them, and there's never been a problem.

I'm not sure how you can fine a team for trying to set themselves up in a better position for a playoff run. Division games are crucial, and that was their next game.

Stern is walking a fine line right now, and I wonder what's going to happen when teams sit their starters at the end of the season. There should be no difference between sitting players early in the season to rest them up and the end of the season to rest them up.

I know it's a different sport, but NHL teams sit their star players at the end of the season often times to rest them up a little for playoff runs. They also rest them early in the season so they are ready for some division battles.

This is just dumb all around.

Ha...yep. Stern should write himself up for that one.

If I was Popovich, I'd suit them up for the Utah/SA game on ESPN December 12th...and then play the big three just one minute into the first quarter, call a timeout, then sit them the rest of the way.

As a Jazz fan that is good. But as an NBA fan I'd hate it.

My guess is that the Spurs will find creative ways around it. One way would be to send them out and have them commit fouls really quickly and pull them. Then just keep having them do it and blame their lack of playing time on foul trouble.

• Owner

It's difficult for me to root for the Spurs, since they are a Laker rival...but I was so happy to see them beat the team with the best record in the NBA (Memphis) last night, the same team he supposedly decided to rest his guys for.

It's difficult for me to root for the Spurs, since they are a Laker rival...but I was so happy to see them beat the team with the best record in the NBA (Memphis) last night, the same team he supposedly decided to rest his guys for.

Not only that, but it was an overtime game where San Antonio took advantage late because they seemingly had more gas in the tank down the stretch. Memphis' offense got stagnant and struggled with the Spurs physicality and pressure. Their usual tenacious defense also got lackluster and had breakdowns that San Antonio took advantage of.

Then on top of that, Duncan had 27 points, 15 boards and 4 assists with a TS% of 70.3%. He had 21 points and 8 boards on 9-12 shooting in the first half and him and Parker were the only reason why the game was just a 1 point defecit at the half. In other words, one of the 5 best games he has had since the start of the 2010-11 season.

A nice little FU to Stern.