Who's Better?

Built Ford Tough

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player A

17.0 ppg

4.5 rpg

1.4 apg

0.8 spg

39.7 FG%, 35.7 3PT%, 49.2 TS% on 15.8 FGA

13.4 PER

97 ORTG, 107 DRTG

34 mpg

Player B

12.9 ppg

8.2 rpg

1.2 apg

1.2 spg

37.5 FG%, 28.2 3PT%, 46.7 TS%

13.3 PER

97 ORTG, 104 DRTG

33 mpg

Gun to your head, who do you pick (and you have to pick one)?

(Even if you realize who the players are, keep it to yourself for at least a little while please so that answers won't be swayed by names or what not).

This is pretty stupid... doesn't take into account the person's defensive abilities. Lol. You could put Carmelo's numbers up against LeBron's the past 9 years or so and Carmelo's numbers are going to look fairly similar...difference is the defensive side of the ball LeBron is 10x better which makes him a better overall player

Edited by JYD

• Owner

LOL. I know them.

I'm selecting Player A...not really fair, though, because I immediately knew who they were.

The first player has proven he can be a decent second option. The other hasn't, and in either situation (looking for a role player OR a primary option), I'd choose Player A.

Now, if you look at just the numbers, and assuming I don't know either of them...well, I would take Player B. He rebounds far better, shows that he can at least score double digits, and if I had the right primary and secondary options, he'd have an easier time putting the ball in the rim. Percentages would go up, and suddenly, I have a 13/8 big man who nets 50% FG each night AND plays a little defense in the process.

• Owner

This is pretty stupid... doesn't take into account the person's defensive abilities. Lol. You could put Carmelo's numbers up against LeBron's the past 9 years or so and Carmelo's numbers are going to look fairly similar...difference is the defensive side of the ball LeBron is 10x better which makes him a better overall player

Well, he did add Defensive Rating to the statistics. It's not exactly the greatest stat to use when comparing players, though, because it represents a five-man unit at all times...but oppPER and oppFG% are basically in the same boat, probably the better numbers to use, but yeah.

I'm not bothering to try and find each player, but statistically I'd probably take the 2nd guy due to his rebounding. However, blindly looking at stats without some context (team, position, role, etc...) makes comparisons nearly impossible.

Lol, I didn't realize people would take this so seriously. I thought it was pretty obvious it wasn't intended to be some super serious comparision. My bad.

Anyways, Player A is Andrea Bargnani and Player B is Byron Mullens. For people who didn't know who the players were before hand, how does this change your opinion (if it does)?

Lol, I didn't realize people would take this so seriously. I thought it was pretty obvious it wasn't intended to be some super serious comparision. My bad.

Anyways, Player A is Andrea Bargnani and Player B is Byron Mullens. For people who didn't know who the players were before hand, how does this change your opinion (if it does)?

I knew A was Barg, it was pretty obvious considering those great rebounding numbers and FG%. Kind of sucks realizing Mullens is a more valuable player then Barg. If Barg didn't take 20 shots a game he wouldn't have such high scoring numbers.

Hmmm...

The first player has proven he can be a decent second option. The other hasn't, and in either situation (looking for a role player OR a primary option), I'd choose Player A.

When has Bargs ever proven he can be a decent second option? When he was the 2nd option to one of the best PF's in the league on a team that either didn't make the playoffs or barely got in?

With his awful rebounding, defense and streaky shooting, I've always seen him as a good 6th man or 4th option on a serious playoff team, NEVER a 2nd option.

Anyway, this comparison reminds me of one a week ago where they showed the numbers of Joe Johnson and Kyle Korver this season, and solely based on statistics you would choose Korver.

• Owner

When has Bargs ever proven he can be a decent second option? When he was the 2nd option to one of the best PF's in the league on a team that either didn't make the playoffs or barely got in?

With his awful rebounding, defense and streaky shooting, I've always seen him as a good 6th man or 4th option on a serious playoff team, NEVER a 2nd option.

Anyway, this comparison reminds me of one a week ago where they showed the numbers of Joe Johnson and Kyle Korver this season, and solely based on statistics you would choose Korver.

To me, decent is scoring 17 points a night on 47% FG and 37% 3PT. Again, just the scoring...not pointing out defense, facilitating, or rebounding (all of which Bargs is either poor at, or below average). Maybe I should have said "scoring option" in that post.

And, well, a team is definitely not a contender with a decent second scoring option, unless he's paired with 2-3 of the game's superstars (Bargnani in Cleveland, with LeBron, would have been in the Finals...just an example).

But, Mullens would be less relevant on a team like that. Much less relevant on a contender, or even a solid 4-8th seeded playoff team out West.

That's really what stands out between the two.