Orlando's offensive struggles overshadow their good defense

Real Deal

• Owner

I've been paying closer attention to Orlando this season, mainly because teams that lose a player like Dwight (when Cleveland lost LeBron) tend to catch my eye for a while...and I noticed how most of their games are lost because they simply can't score buckets.

But look at their defense: 8th in the NBA (Defensive Rating), and they are holding opponents to 44% FG (11th in the league) and a surprising 32% from three (3rd in the NBA).

I mean...Afflalo, Harkless, Vucevic...they aren't doing a bad job on the defensive end, at all. Even Jameer Nelson is defending well in spurts, although a lot of that is because he's got help (like he did with Dwight).

Can Orlando even touch the playoff bubble, though, being such a horrible offensive team? Right now, they are on the outside, looking in...probably 9th or 10th seed, but the Milwaukee Bucks are currently holding a spot, and there's no telling what will happen with them.

Knicks

Heat

Hawks

Nets

Bulls

Sixers

Celtics

Bucks

-------------------

Pacers

Magic

If not, what would you do to improve the team enough to land a spot in the top eight? Would you make a trade, make a lineup change, coaching change?

Coaching change? Absolutely not. I think Jacque Vaughn has done a darn good job. Take a look at this roster...there's no star player, and there's not a whole lot of talent in general. Nelson and Turk has barely played (if at all, honestly don't watch that closely).

I watched them play the Knicks, and they have some decent young players. That Nicholson guy is pretty decent, and I like Harkless' athleticism.

I think if the Magic had a star, or even someone like a Joe Johnson (all-star caliber player) they'd be right there in the playoff picture. I think they'd be a 6-7 seed in the East, and be a pain in the ass to play in the 1st round because they can defend.

They are in much better shape than I thought they'd be following the loss of Howard, and I'm assuming they must have a decent amount of 1st round picks for the future, as well.

Too bad they can't undo the Ryan Anderson trade.

They play hard, but I think they will soon fall back to the bottom of the East, similar to Cleveland in the first year post-LeBron.

Came in here to post the exact same thing. They have no business being where they are right now. Also, Redick is awesome. I hope a contender comes and offers Orlando 2 firsts or a first and a prospect to get him - so worth it.