Lakers & Celtics discuss a Dwight/Rondo Swap

magicbalala245

The smiles were hard to come by Friday for Dwight Howard, once the thousand-watt light bulb of the NBA.

He briefly managed a grin when discussing his Center Center for Centers," a YouTube bit about a fictional training center where centers -- banished from the All-Star ballot –- are trained to become point guards, and thus given the ability to become "productive members of the NBA," Howard said.

But that was all the fun and games for Howard, whose jovial presence in the sport has been muted by two solid years of uncertainty about his future. Last year in Orlando, the Dwightmare was in full force, consuming All-Star weekend with speculation over where Howard would be traded after he'd made it clear he wanted no part of staying with the Magic. A blockbuster trade that sent Howard to L.A. -- the kind of glitzy market he craved, in an environment shrouded in championships –- has not made him happy.

Howard said Friday that Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has told him he does not want to trade the free agent-to-be. It's the same message Kupchak delivered in a recent interview withNewsday and the same message he's given Howard's agent, Dan Fegan, in recent weeks.

However, CBSSports.com has learned that the Lakers have engaged in preliminary trade discussions with an unlikely trade partner regarding Howard: their fierce rival, the Boston Celtics. The centerpieces of the possible deal, which hasn't gained any traction, would be Howard and Rajon Rondo.

READ MORE BELOW:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21710534/whats-right-for-dwight-will-lakers-deal-howard

I'm pretty sure it would result in a three-way deal that would send Howard to Brooklyn, probably Lopez and pieces to Boston, and we get Rondo and a piece from the Nets.

Would Boston be that stupid to essentially give up Rondo for Lopez?

And what happens to Nash in LA? Don't see this happening ....... ever

• Owner

Would Boston be that stupid to essentially give up Rondo for Lopez?

And what happens to Nash in LA? Don't see this happening ....... ever

The situation with Nash and the Lakers seems to be irrelevant, because it was confirmed that the Lakers talked to Boston about Rondo already (offering Gasol and I believe a small forward from a third team).  It wouldn't have surprised me if they figured they could run a three-guard lineup, Kobe at the three, Rondo at the two.  It would require Kobe and Nash giving up the ball-handling duties to Rondo, but Nash has already done that for Kobe, and Kobe tried that for Nash for quite some time.

Would Boston give up Rondo for Lopez?  Probably not for Lopez alone, but if they can also land picks OR MarShon Brooks, it makes you wonder.  As it stands, not a lot of fans in Boston are happy with Rondo (just reading through the RealGM forums and a huge Boston Celtics fan site), and they want him to be more demanding as a scorer...which they aren't getting from him.

It didn't help that he dumped in 40+ on Miami in the playoffs, in an amazing game, and eventually fell back down to his typical under-20 a night average.

But, personally, I want to keep Howard.  I'm going to wait until November 2013 to see if this injury and surgery changed his game for good.  I don't think it has...at least not as bad as people make it out to be.

Quote from the article: 

There are at least two significant impediments to a Howard-Rondo deal. First, as Howard said Friday, the Lakers continue to insist they won't trade him, which sources say is the impression the Celtics have gotten, too. Second, Celtics president Danny Ainge would not trade Rondo without an assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston as a free agent this summer, a league source said. Howard has shown no inclination to commit to anyone, including the Lakers, until the season is over.

Discussions aren't going to go very far if this is the case.