Did you like the new All-Star Weekend format?

Real Deal

• Owner

Pretty sure most everyone will say no, but if you did, why?  And if not, how else would you do it?

I simply hated that they pulled the best performance out of each conference, and matched them up in the second round.  That made decent events like the 3PT contest much shorter, and it also could have ruined the dunk contest, if it was actually good.

Just think...if they were to have LeBron, DeRozan, and Ross out there...with Faried, Bledsoe, and Evans, you're going to eliminate possibly two of the three best dunkers in the contest IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Same with the skills challenge and 3PT contest.

Why not just go back to the way it was, and still give points to the winning conference (ex. Ross wins, the East gets the points?)...and for every 50 point dunk, or every 18+ point 3PT make, or every skills challenge run under 30 seconds, you add points to that particular player's conference?

I like the fact that they're trying to make changes to All Star weekend but they're the wrong ones. Like you said Real Deal, I think having someone pass you the ball in the 3 pt contest would be pretty cool. They should stick with the Eastern and Western points but change up the elimination process.

All-star weekend is bordering on underrated these days.  It's ridiculous.  The 3 point shootout was awesome despite the format butchering it, and the dunk contest got off to a slow start but finished up pretty solidly.  I missed the skills contest but that has always been my least favourite contest anyways (unless you count the shooting stars thing, which needs to go).

As Zach Lowe has said, a 1 on 1 tourney would be amazing.

I didn't care much for it but didn't think it would bother me as much as it did. I found it pretty annoying. They really need to stop adding new twists to Friday and Saturday Night each year and do something about the competitions themselves. Bring back the Rookies vs. Sophomores format, get rid of this East vs. West points nonsense, and come up with something more creative and watchable than Shooting Stars.

Edited by octoberGR8NESS

All-Star weekend sucks, for the most part.  As a serious basketball fan, all the shit is pretty much a bore to me. I know it's just supposed to be light-hearted and fun, but it's not something I make sure I watch. I actually fell asleep mid 2nd quarter of the game on Sunday night.  I was pretty worn out from playing basketball for a few hours earlier in the day, and the game was so boring that I just couldn't even keep my eyes open anymore.  I hate games where guys barely break a sweat and don't play defense, so the ASG and the Rookie-Soph game is just terrible to me.

As for the other festivities, they are meh overall. Each year the dunk contest gets over hyped. I had some interested this year with a Knicks player (and who got super hype) James White was in. The three point contest is nothing exciting, and the obstacle course is dumb as hell too.

Overall, it is what it is. I enjoyed it all when I was younger, say, 6-7 years ago ... but now, I don't really care for any of it.  That doesn't mean it needs a major overhaul, because I think the idea is to keep it light-hearted and truly gives these guys a fun, 'restful' weekend from the grind of an 82-game season.

• Owner

I don't think a one-on-one tournament would work, because you'll end up having an issue with players not wanting to go into a situation where they could go at each other FAR too hard in the post, or try to embarrass each other a bit too much (ex. Irving and Knight).

Plus, you won't get Kobe vs. LeBron, or Durant vs. Melo, more than likely.

Why not a 3-on-3 tourney instead?  Select four PG's to participate, and have them choose two teammates (players NOT from the same team AND someone they have never teamed with before), and have mini games to 16, win by two.

That can replace the shooting stars contest.