NFL Free Agency Signings/Trades/Cuts

ChosenOne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falcons sign Steven Jackson to a three-year deal making it an all-Beaver backfield. Really love this signing as he's two years younger than Turner and showed last year that he's still capable of carrying the ball effectively despite being behind a pretty bad offensive line. Can't wait to see him in action next season.

I'm glad the Eagles are changing the idea of going out and grabbing the big names instead they are just plugging in quality players in where the need is and making sure its better than whats already there. 

Total FA Signings So Far:

• - Patrick Chung (S)
  • - Kenny Phillips (S)
  • - Ed Wang (OL)
  • - Connor Barwin (DL)
  • - Cary Williams (CB)
  • - Bradley Fletcher (CB)
  • - Jason Phillips (LB)
  • - Issac Sopoaga (NT)
  • - James Casey (TE/FB)

It's really funny to see how Reid is going out and grabbing all the big names. Really makes it clear that Howie wasnt the one making all those calls they so called year of the Dream Team bs. 

Are the Cowboys even awake in the last week? lol
Edited by Need4Sheed

I'm glad the Eagles are changing the idea of going out and grabbing the big names instead they are just plugging in quality players in where the need is and making sure its better than whats already there. 

• - Patrick Chung (S)
  • - Kenny Phillips (S)
  • - Ed Wang (OL)
  • - Connor Barwin (DL)
  • - Cary Williams (CB)
  • - Jason Phillips (LB)
  • - Issac Sopoaga (NT)
  • - James Casey (TE/FB)

It's really funny to see how Reid is going out and grabbing all the big names. Really makes it clear that Howie wasnt the one making all those calls they so called year of the Dream Team bs. 

Yep, Andy had full control here for quite a while, especially after Banner and Heckert left. 

I really dig the approach this offseason. For a variety of reasons, I did not see nearly as much NFL as I'd have liked last season so I won't comment on the individual players we signed, but I am loving the scouting reports I am reading (and getting from Kyle!!!). Of course, none of it really matters until we see exactly what sort of team Chip Kelly is trying to build. But they seem to be addressing all positions of need with low risk/somewhat high reward guys, which is exactly what I wanted. 

• - Patrick Chung (S)
  • - Kenny Phillips (S)
  • - Ed Wang (OL)
  • - Connor Barwin (DL)
  • - Cary Williams (CB)
  • - Jason Phillips (LB)
  • - Issac Sopoaga (NT)
  • - James Casey (TE/FB)

Connor Barwin at $36M for 6 years is a massive overpay. If you're getting the Barwin of 2011 then its a very good signing, but the Connor Barwin of 2012 was pretty much invisible and made no impact whatsoever despite Watt ALWAYS being double-teamed. Connor probably was our most disappointing player last season and I'm glad we let him walk and saved up what little cap room we have. If he returns to form then you got a great player though. 

Casey was pretty good in 2011 before he went down to injury and last season he was pretty average but still a very versatile player. A bit of an overpay but he could be a great fit in Philly, wish him the best there. 

Anyways hoping the Texans can sign Ed Reed in the next few days. Houston offered him a $5M per year deal (the same amount Glover Quin got with the Lions) and Reed is looking for around $7M and will shop himself around some more, but I'm pretty confident he won't get anything nearly that high and he'll sign. 

Connor Barwin at $36M for 6 years is a massive overpay.

I was gonna say this, but feared it would come off as a Giants fan being bitter. 29th out of 32 3-4 OLBs last year in QB disruptions.

I REALLY want the Giants to chase Karlos Dansby. Would be nice to have a competent MLB for the first time since early signing Antonio Pierce.

Edited by iMan

Connor Barwin at $36M for 6 years is a massive overpay. If you're getting the Barwin of 2011 then its a very good signing, but the Connor Barwin of 2012 was pretty much invisible and made no impact whatsoever despite Watt ALWAYS being double-teamed. Connor probably was our most disappointing player last season and I'm glad we let him walk and saved up what little cap room we have. If he returns to form then you got a great player though. 

6 years for $36 million. You immediate think its bad but the guaranteed money is all in the first two years.

In the first 3 years of the deal he'll make $13.5 million

If you do the math, that means the last 3 years are heavily backloaded with $22.5 million dollars, none of which is guaranteed.

If after 2 years, he's not living up to what they expect they wipe their hands of it and he's gone for nothing.

If he's playing generally up to expectations he'll get 3 years of the contract and make about $4.5 mil a year doing so.

If he exceeds expectations and is a perennial double digit sack guy, he can make upwards of $7-8 million a year over the last 3 years of the deal. But frankly, that's never going to happen. If in 3 years, he's a consistent double digit sack guy or a pro bowler, he's going to be looking for a new deal anyway. If he's not, he'll be cut.

There's almost no way these last 3 years of the deal play out as is.

So in all, this is a very reasonable contract any way you slice it. And as it is structured now, it is almost certainly no more than a 3 year deal.
Edited by Need4Sheed

6 years for $36 million. You immediate think its bad but the guaranteed money is all in the first two years.

In the first 3 years of the deal he'll make $13.5 million

If you do the math, that means the last 3 years are heavily backloaded with $22.5 million dollars, none of which is guaranteed.

If after 2 years, he's not living up to what they expect they wipe their hands of it and he's gone for nothing.

If he's playing generally up to expectations he'll get 3 years of the contract and make about $4.5 mil a year doing so.

If he exceeds expectations and is a perennial double digit sack guy, he can make upwards of $7-8 million a year over the last 3 years of the deal. But frankly, that's never going to happen. If in 3 years, he's a consistent double digit sack guy or a pro bowler, he's going to be looking for a new deal anyway. If he's not, he'll be cut.

So in all, this is a very reasonable contract any way you slice it. And as it is structured now, it is almost certainly no more than a 3 year deal.

But your name isn't Jason B., you plagiariser.

As is the case with many free agent deals, there was some sticker shock when the news of Connor Barwin's contract started to leak out.

6 years for $36 million! Wow monster money!

But then we all start to remember that NFL contracts are about one thing, guaranteed money. Eagles fans will remember when Demetress Bell signed a 5-year, $35 million deal last offseason. He's not here anymore and it didn't cost the Eagles a dime to cut him. That's because all of his guarantees were in the first year.

It was soon revealed that Barwin's deal included just $8 million in guarantees. There's also another $4 million in incentives that are possible. Here's how it breaks down.

- The guaranteed money is all in the first two years.

- In the first 3 years of the deal he'll make $13.5 million

- If you do the math, that means the last 3 years are heavily backloaded with $22.5 million dollars, none of which is guarnateed.

So here's how this deal is going to work. If after 2 years, he's not living up to what they expect they wipe their hands of it and he's gone for nothing.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/14/4105994/connor-barwins-contract-is-very-team-friendly

Edited by iMan

I wish the Giants had more money to spend. Hopefully we'll be able to fill some holes through the draft.

Edit: also just noticed Marty B signed with the Bears. Really going to miss him. We've got a big hole at TE again. I see Kevin Boss is a FA. Maybe we could give him another chance? I would think he'd be inexpensive.

Edited by DunkinDerozan

Reed isn't what he used to be but he's still a hawk and that is what we needed most on our defense. No doubt we'll be going safety in the draft too and groom him to be Reed's replacement in 2 years.