Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

How much cap do the Flyers have? They have to get that kid Giroux inked to an extension ASAP.

Not much. The Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere contracts are killing us.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holmgren is not good at managing the cap, though. The Hartnell contract sucks, and the Briere contract sucks unless he can produce for 82 games like he did this postseason.

i dont think he has much of a choice with the cap situation, he did what he had to do to improve the team, nearly every top team in the NHL has some kind of cap problem.

and id much rather have holmgren and have cap problems then have andy reid and joe banner and be way under the cap and afraid to spend money

i dont think he has much of a choice with the cap situation, he did what he had to do to improve the team, nearly every top team in the NHL has some kind of cap problem.

and id much rather have holmgren and have cap problems then have andy reid and joe banner and be way under the cap and afraid to spend money

He overpaid for both of them, there are no two ways about that. At the time everyone loved it because he got the team a quick fix after that horrible 2006-07 season. Now these contracts are holding the team back big time.

He overpaid for both of them, there are no two ways about that. At the time everyone loved it because he got the team a quick fix after that horrible 2006-07 season. Now these contracts are holding the team back big time.

and brieres first year (07-08) helped out the team a ton. he pretty much tied for team lead in points and goals. at that point they were the worst team in the league and they had to change something and had to change it quick. and briere helped bring fans back after a horrible season. it might have come back to hurt them, but they had to sign briere

Edited by fly3rs18

and brieres first year (07-08) helped out the team a ton. he pretty much tied for team lead in points and goals. at that point they were the worst team in the league and they had to change something and had to change it quick. and briere helped bring fans back after a horrible season. it might have come back to hurt them, but they had to sign briere

I'm not saying they didn't, but neither has come anywhere close to living up to their contracts, Briere specifically. If he plays a full 82 game schedule like he did in this past postseason, then we can reevaluate.

I'm not saying they didn't, but neither has come anywhere close to living up to their contracts, Briere specifically. If he plays a full 82 game schedule like he did in this past postseason, then we can reevaluate.

well if he plays the season like he just played the playoffs then he will have 100 points

well if he plays the season like he just played the playoffs then he will have 100 points

Which is what he needs to do to live up to his contract. That is how badly they overpaid for him.

this offseason is gonna be really interesting. ive heard tons of trade rumors going around, no idea whats actually true. its mainly carter and goalie rumors. ive heard carter for a high first round pick (plus others involved), ive heard goalies such as schnider (from vancouver), john quick (LA), obviously halak/price, and a few others.

the more i think about them trading carter the more i like it though. he is a good player, but nothing amazing. if they could get a good draft pick or a quality goalie/defensemen then i would absolutely go for it

i would be so happy if they got any of those guys. quick and schneider are both from boston area (went to umass and boston college), so im sure they would both love to come to philly and be much closer to home

quick is the most NHL proven, he had a great year with LA and played 72 games this year. schneider is obviously blocked by luongo, but he was was the AHL goalie of the year this year and he has tons of potential. bernier is similar, but id think that LA would trade quick first

but all three are very good goalies, and i would think would be much easier to get then halak/price

also, another option is jhonas enroth, the backup to ryan miller in buffalo. enroth is probably the least experienced of the guys named, i dont know if he is NHL starter ready though

Edited by fly3rs18

despite all of this, i think the most likely situation by far is signing a guy like dan ellis. we'll see how much he and other similar goalies ask for, but holmgren will probably think about the win now thing and go for that over a young unproven goalie

I like Dan Ellis. Cool dude too (I follow him on Twitter).

However, I disagree with your last statement. From what I have read, the organization is fed up with signing one mediocre, journeyman goalie after another, and they are ready to risk it in hopes of finding a young "franchise" goalie. Probably easier said than done, and who knows if that is what they are really thinking. But, enough is enough, they have not had a true, confidence-inspiring #1 goalie since Ron Hextall, and have only had 3 or 4 in franchise history.

Edited by Phightins

I like Dan Ellis. Cool dude too (I follow him on Twitter).

However, I disagree with your last statement. From what I have read, the organization is fed up with signing one mediocre, journeyman goalie after another, and they are ready to risk it in hopes of finding a young "franchise" goalie. Probably easier said than done, and who knows if that is what they are really thinking. But, enough is enough, they have not had a true, confidence-inspiring #1 goalie since Ron Hextall, and have only had 3 or 4 in franchise history.

oh, i havent seen that. i hope that it is true

if they got jon quick without trading giroux/jvr then i cant even describe how happy i would be

Edited by fly3rs18

One of the beat writers, Anthony SanFilippo, has written that he's talked with people in the organization and that is the attitude they have. So we'll see.

Unfortunately, I think JVR is going to be traded for a goalie. I am guessing that Giroux is untouchable. The only two attractive trade chips the Flyers have are Jeff Carter and James van Riemsdyk (obviously Giroux too, but I think (hope) that he is untouchable). They have no first or second round picks.

Edited by Phightins

http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2010-06/54395805.jpg

Also, the goalie situation got a whole lot more interesting today. Kind of surprised the Blues got Halak for that little.

They sat in the front.

his 9 year old son sat in the front too?

and lets just say they were both in the front. if the car got hit that hard that it completely wrecked the back of the car then they definitely got whipped around pretty good. could have easily broken bones, serious concussions, etc.

his 9 year old son sat in the front too?

and lets just say they were both in the front. if the car got hit that hard that it completely wrecked the back of the car then they definitely got whipped around pretty good. could have easily broken bones, serious concussions, etc.

Take a deep breath.