Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

GO FLYERS!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009_images/fantasy/mike-richards.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06nl40ydFcdQN/340x.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/darren_eliot/02/09/jeff.carter/jeff-carter.jpg

Edited by fly3rs18

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am praying that Knuble will take a home town discount to stay here. I know his family really likes the area and he did say that money isn't everything to him, but with that said we probably couldn't offer him anywhere close to his market value. He'd be taking a significant pay cut if he were to stay, so I am not getting my hopes up. As for the backup goalie situation, I am hearing that they might just use one of the kids from within the organization, either Scott Munroe or Johan Backlund, or maybe somebody else, with the idea of having the lowest possible cap hit. They really want 65-70 games out of Emery, I guess.

flyers drafted goalies in the 3rd and 5th rounds also. so hopefully one of them can do something eventually. no idea if they are going to the phantoms or playing elsewhere though

and id like to see the flyers get someone else to fill knubles role, but i dont know if that is very likely so i would love to see him take a discount to play here again. hopefully he realizes that the flyers took a huge step to win right now with pronger, and he will take a discount in order to win a cup this year in philly

but everyone goes for the money so you never know

Riopel put up some great numbers in the playoffs for Moncton. He's small and needs to put on a few pounds, but he could be a steal. 2.03 GAA and a .938 save % in the Playoffs bodes well. He could play right away for the Phantoms. Potential steal like I said. Good for a 5th rounder.

Adam Morrison is like his NBA counterpart. Weak, was taken way off the board, likely not to equate to anything. At least he's clean shaven, lol.

I don't know anything about any of the guys we have drafted, so thanks for that info. I do know that a lot of Flyers fans seem really excited about Riopel. He definitely should get a shot to play with the Phantoms right away, or at least I'd think so. There will be a lot of shuffling around with the goalies in the organization, so I'd guess the Phantoms job will be up for grabs.

Also all I could think of is the NBA Adam Morrison when the Flyers made their pick.

I would say a lot of players that have boom or bust potential. You guys drafted Eric Wellwood, Kyle Wellwood's brother, and he's amazingly fast and agile, but he was a late round pick.

My favorite pick was Lauridsen. My god that kid's huge (6-6 220) and he's what Pierre McGuire would say "an absolute monster." This is what a guy on HFBoards had to say about Lauridsen as well.

Hello Flyers fans.

I attend St. Cloud State and work on the radio side of our sports department specfically in men's hockey.

Lauridsen came to SCSU last year and is the tallest player in school history. He had to sit out several games at the start of this season because he had to wait to be cleared by the NCAA. Nice to see the Flyers take him and I know the Kings had scouted him at one time too this year.

I think taking Oliver this late in the draft is a good pick by Philly. Oliver is a bit of a project, but you cannot teach size and let me tell you, Oliver is HUGE! I am a short guy myself and would look like a kid standing next to him when I saw him on campus.

They call him The Great Dane here.

Take a look at an interview with Oliver in this video, about 3:40 in, and you can see how tall he is compared to the female reporter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5MUEunmxcM

As for what I can tell you about Oliver he is very raw but does have a lot of potential. He has not yet grown into his body in my opinion as he does not use his size enough and often will fan on the puck as if he needs to bend down a little more to make a pass. He needs to add more of a mean streak into his game and help clear skaters out of the front of the net too. I think this will come in time and SCSU coach Bob Motzko likes what he sees for Lauridsen in the future

Riopel put up some great numbers in the playoffs for Moncton. He's small and needs to put on a few pounds, but he could be a steal. 2.03 GAA and a .938 save % in the Playoffs bodes well. He could play right away for the Phantoms. Potential steal like I said. Good for a 5th rounder.

was he the one that was a backup? i know one of the goalies they drafted was a backup but looked great in the games he played and is said to have a lot of potential. i forget which one that was though

but lets just hope one of these guys can be that star out of no where. flyers havent had a star goalie in ages, it would be great haha

Also we are apparently interested in Brendan Shanahan. I would not mind taking a flyer on him (no pun intended) depending on how much money he is looking for.

yeah, it is super front-loaded i believe. chances are he isnt going to play the full 7 years, but im sure they knew that when he signed it

and money aside i would take shanahan any day. flyers dont need him to be a top line player, they just need him as a 2nd-3rd line player and probably help out on the PK. if they can get him for cheap then i would love the signing

hes not gonna be getting major minutes. and you need some veterans too. flyers have all young forwards with knuble gone. look at every successful team and they have a good mix, pittsburgh had guerin, satan, and another guy or two. almost every single successful team has a few veterans. shanahan would be a great signing

Shanahan is an old penis licker. We don't need his old [expletive] on our team. I'd rather have a young guy get those minutes.

Name a young RW in our organization who is capable of stepping in and replacing all the offense we lost. Andreas Nodl? It'd be nice, but we're probably dreaming if we expect him to take that step for this season.

Name a young RW in our organization who is capable of stepping in and replacing all the offense we lost. Andreas Nodl? It'd be nice, but we're probably dreaming if we expect him to take that step for this season.

JVR! The heir to Knuble. They should get him playing this year. And I wasn't specifically talking about in our organization, but a FA would be nice as well. I'd rather stay away from some dude that's over 40. I'm tired of injuries. The guy didn't even do anything last year so I don't see what makes people think he's going to be even better when he's only getting older.

I don't think JVR has ever played on the right side...might be nice to see if he can though.

Seriously though, Shanahan has shown in the past couple years that despite his old age he still has a bit of a scoring touch. With as tight against the cap as we are, we need to come up with some creative options to fill holes. Signing Shanahan to a cheap deal couldn't hurt.

And for the record he had 14 points in 34 games with the Devils last season.....not awful.

Edited by Phightins09

I don't think JVR has ever played on the right side...might be nice to see if he can though.

Seriously though, Shanahan has shown in the past couple years that despite his old age he still has a bit of a scoring touch. With as tight against the cap as we are, we need to come up with some creative options to fill holes. Signing Shanahan to a cheap deal couldn't hurt.

And for the record he had 14 points in 34 games with the Devils last season.....not awful.

14 points in 34 games with a -2 is nothing. That is an average of .4 points per game. If we're trying to get that kind of production we mind as well trim Mike Richards pubes and give them a hockey stick. For a 2nd line RW you need something better than .4 points per game. The guy is way old and only likes playing half the season so he can try and hop on a contender to win the CUP. I don't want him.

Shanahan would most likely want 1 million AT LEAST if he was going to play the entire year(and he won't do that). That's not THAT cheap. Shanahan knows his name is well known and your going to have to look for some gems to get the cheapest possibilities.

14 points in 34 games with a -2 is nothing. That is an average of .4 points per game. If we're trying to get that kind of production we mind as well trim Mike Richards pubes and give them a hockey stick. For a 2nd line RW you need something better than .4 points per game. The guy is way old and only likes playing half the season so he can try and hop on a contender to win the CUP. I don't want him.

Shanahan would most likely want 1 million AT LEAST if he was going to play the entire year(and he won't do that). That's not THAT cheap. Shanahan knows his name is well known and your going to have to look for some gems to get the cheapest possibilities.

Stretch his numbers out for a full season and you get roughly 15 goals and 20 assists...I wouldn't call that nothing. Remember, we aren't asking him to be a superstar, we just need to add some depth and some smaller pieces to replace the 50+ goals we lost with Knuble and Lupul. Having a healthy Briere (fingers crossed) and Giroux for a full season should help fill that void, but they need to get creative and find other ways to add scoring. I really don't see any better/cheaper options out there, and there certainly isn't much RW help coming from within the organization. Ian Laperriere was a nice signing, but he is more of a grit/energy line type guy...they need more scoring punch from the right side.

Not to mention if he is signed before the season, he will have a full training camp to gel with his new team as opposed to just jumping into the fire in the middle of the year when everybody else is already in game shape (as he did this past season).

we mind as well trim Mike Richards pubes and give them a hockey stick.

LMAO

14 points is fine. thats all they would need from him. we cant afford a great, young RW, but there is a big hole to fill and there is probably nothing out there better then shanahan. who cares if he just wants to hop on to win a cup, thats what all veterans are trying to do.

1 million is nothing. he is a great player, obviously not what he was, but if you can get him for that cheap and he can score a couple goals and show some leadership for guys like JVR and giroux to follow then i would take him any day.

obviously he isnt going to score 50 goals like he did when he was younger, but its the leadership and experience that the flyers could use. not to mention he can still score a few goals.

and note- coming in the middle the season is extremely difficult, and it is very rare to see a player in any sport do it and play well. he will be much better off with training camp and knowing his teamates if he were to sign here

Who replaces Niittymaki? Or was Emery signed?

emery was signed as the starter and they signed boucher as the backup

its so funny that they got boucher back. when i was little i used to love that guy. i dont really know why (because he wasnt that good). he was originally why i had the 33 in my old sn (flyersrule9733).