Dallas @ Portland

• 7 months later...

Dallas' struggle continues, if the playoffs started today, they'd be like ostriches burying their heads in the sand, hoping their problems would disappear.

But they won't, unless they face them and solve them as a unit. Good news is they have 10 games left to figure it out, bad news is there's only 10 games left :lol:

As a Nugget fan, a team that's struggling itself, I know it's hard to listen... but at least we're familiar with our struggle, we've solved it as a unit together before. Not this Dallas team... they haven't solved any problem(s) as a unit after the trade. They might ignore the problems and still get past first round, but beyond first round, they cannot look past the problems.

Did you already forget the 13 game winning streak? They had some quality wins during that streak.

Dallas isn't looking past their problems. The last few games is the first time since the trade that everyone has been healthy. It's not that they can't come together as a team; they haven't had the time, yet.

Edited by Vinyard

• Owner

What do you think is their problem? Genuine question.

Shot defense. Without looking, I'm sure all 4-5 of their losses (in their last six games) are due to letting the teams shoot 50% or better against them. It was glaring tonight.

Butler was a matador when he played in Los Angeles. He couldn't defend anyone. Dirk has trouble, defensively. Marion is slacking off again, like he did in Toronto (not sure why, because he was fine about six games ago). Dampier is a ghost. Barea is complete trash on defense.

Kidd and Haywood's defensive efforts aren't enough. Dallas will need to get away from their defensive woes, and they only have under a month to do it.

I agree with you.

Another good example of this would be against the Clippers. If it wasn't for their Dallas' defense presence in the 4th quarter, the Clippers would have handed them another loss.

I do feel that the 13 game winning streak gave the Mavs slightly too much confidence.

^Many teams go on fire after a move(s) they make. It's more adrenaline high than great X and Os/ great chemistry. But eventually the high/ excitement is going to come to an end/ subdue... and when it does, you're going to have to figure out how to do it traditionally, just like every team in the L does: earn wins.

The Nets won like 13-15 in a row when they fired Byron Scott and promoted Lawrence Frank back in 2002/ 2003.

The Lakers won 13 games in a row when they fired Del Harris and promoted Kurt Rambis in 1999.

Nuggets went 32-8 after George Karl replaced Jeff Bzdelik and Michael Cooper in 2004-05 season... they won Game 1 before the Spurs swept them 4-0.

They're all meaningless because they went cold right after the hot stretch... and left scrambling to find out what's wrong... and often they can't find where's the leak on the boat... and even if they find them, they are not sure how to fix it.

Thanks Real

I can't say I disagree. My point is that Dallas hasn't had enough time to gel together because of various injuries. On several occasions in today's game, Dallas seemed to be lost on defense, and it's evident that they are still learning how to play with each other.

Edited by Vinyard

• Owner

That's mainly because people settle in and try to accept their roles (or actually try and increase their roles, selfishly).

Lack of touches on the offensive end could lead to less desire to play defense.

Perfect example could be Haywood. He's still playing defense, but he's not getting the opportunities he would be on a bad team, and getting too comfortable, he's probably slacking off.

Same with Butler. Stevenson, same thing.

It's really not so much the eagerness to win, but just to fit in once you get there, and then try and get your name in the papers as a winner, whatever the cost. Some see that as doing what it takes to win a championship, others see it as doing whatever it takes, as an individual player, to be a greater individual player.

Or, maybe they are trying to be the contributors they were in Washington, minus being selfish...but are just having difficulty doing so, and need to realize that their roles will have to change for the better of the team.

^I agree with you about roles...

From what I've seen of Butler, Stevenson, and even the disgruntled Haywood, they're not selfish players... they're players willing to accept reduced roles in return for winning situation.

But I think their problem is "who takes shots now? Is it Dirk's turn, is it Caron's turn, is it Terry, is it Haywood...?"... they haven't developed the right rhythm offensively yet. The struggles they have on offense caused by confusion lead to the frustration and sub par performance on the other end.

Some people have problems of not enough money, and some people have problems of too much money. In the case of Mavs, they have the latter. They have too much talent to work out. Good news for them is it's usually easier to work out the problems of too much of something than the probs of "not enough".

I have this game recorded, will watch it right after work, now off to work :)

Edited by SnakefromHell