Who's a Kings fan?

Flight

Okay, so this has to be the most dead team forum around lol.

I root for the Kings, and I used to be more of a fan when I lived in Cali and they were actually on TV, but now that I never see them (and they have no national exposure) I really only hear about them every month or so haha.

If they were on more, I'd be more of a fan but that said, does anyone here like them?

I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but I do follow them on a very limited basis as the Kings of the early 00's were probably my favourite team to watch ever. I was just a huge fan of those teams and actually considered them and the Raptors 1A and 1B in terms of my favourite teams. The fact that they had Chris Webber on the team might have made me a bit biased towards them though lol. He was probably my favourite power forward to watch of all time when he was at his best, before his knees gave out on him.

Now I will catch a game every now and then and follow them a little bit but they just don't spark my interest as much as they used to. I like some of the players on their roster though, especially Jason Thompson and Tyreke Evans so I will try to catch more of their games this season to see how their young players develop during the course of the season, Thompson and Evans in particular.

Man, the Bibby, Christie, Peja, Webber, Divac days were amazing.

Gerald Wallace got his start with Sac, so did Laurence Funderburke. He didn't do much. lol

but yeah, the old Kings were awesome, then the dry spell has been going on for what, 6 years or so now?

I'd say that the Kings reign as an elite team ended during the 04/05 season so about 5 years ago.

I know that they were a 50 win team during the 04/05 season and ended up making the playoffs the next season (and pushed the Spurs to 6 games as well) but that 04/05 season marked the end in my opinion. Once they traded Webber to the Sixers it just felt like the end to that particular era of Kings basketball.

Webber and Christie were both traded in 04/05 to the Sixers and Magic respectively (I think Christie was traded to the Magic at least, not 100% sure on that though), Peja was traded in 05/06 to the Pacers and all that was left from the core players of Bibby, Christie, Stojakovic, Webber and Divac was Bibby. I guess some people would consider Brad Miller as a part of the core as he replaced Divac but I never considered him to be. Don't get me wrong, he was fantastic for the Kings and a huge piece of the team, but he never really seemed to be like Bibby, Peja and Webber in terms of value to the franchise.

They were actually still a fairly competitive team out West up until this past season. They were on that level just below the bottom seed playoff teams though, and that is certainly a step down from where they were during their peak years of this decade.

One thing that I think is such a shame is that Arco is basically dead now. I remember when Arco used to be the most rocking home arena in the entire NBA. It is such a shame to see that terrific atmosphere that they used to have in that arena night in and night out all but gone now. I just loved watching games at Arco when they had the undisputed best fan base in the entire NBA.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins live in Sac and they're big Kings fans. I guess the Maloofs want to move to a new arena and that's not helping to sell tickets in one of the oldest arenas in the league. from what i hear it's pretty run down

I didn't like how they dealt John Salmons but that's ok. I really like KMart and Beno. Also, I'm excited to see what more Thompson will do and what Evans can do. Also, Noc is pretty good too. I don't watch their games (because they aren't nationally televised anymore) but I do pay attention to their box scores.

I used to be a bit of Kings fan when I was younger. I can't say that I still like them, though, since they are a completely different team now. Different player, different style, different coach... The only player to stay since their golden days is Bobby Jackson, but I think he's gone now, too.

It's the same with Arco Arena. During their heyday there were plenty Kings fans around, but now that they blow they seem to be extinct.

Arco Arena sold out for 700 straight games or something; though, by capacity, only Orlando has a smaller stadium. Still, it's impressive to sell out so many games in a row. I think they even retired a jersey to the fans sometime this decade (?).

I was a casual fan of them as well. The 2000-04 Kings were some of the best passing teams the league had ever seen. They had a good to great passer at ever position in their starting lineup. It all started with Bibby and Christie in the backcourt, then Peja, back when he was more than just a limping shooter that he is now, and Chris Webber and Vlade Divac rounded it out, both being amongst the top big man passers of the decade. They led the league in assists for all of them years, if I'm not mistake, by a considerable margin as well. That was a damn impressive team; it's a shame they never managed to put it together to win a championship.