Who is the face of the NBA?

kingfish

???  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner

kobe IMO. i dont know about popularity in america, but quite a few people over here have heard the name Kobe Bryant. only people who actually follow the NBA have heard of lebron.

Where are you from?

Welcome to the site, by the way. :)

When the Cavs came to Philly everyone was going "wowowowow" over LeBron doing his warm up dunks and what not. The reaction Kobe got was getting booed everytime he touched the ball. And this is in his hometown too. When the topic of Kobe is brought up to a bunch of guys the rapist thing is still always thrown in there somewhere.

Remember him talking about wanting to slit the Sixers' throats?

And it's LeBron. Kobe is too polarizing to be the face of the NBA.

• Owner

Kobe is up there with Barry Bonds? He has an asterisk by his record-setting performances because of...?

People don't like Kobe for the same reason they don't like the Lakers, Los Angeles, or their fans. Again, people hated Jordan as well, and he was booed excessively in New York, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Portland and Utah. A ton of Kobe and Lakers fans hate Jordan, also, and will tell you that Magic was the greatest player, and Jordan was overrated.

But we all know why that stuff happens.

Kobe is up there with Barry Bonds? He has an asterisk by his record-setting performances because of...?

People don't like Kobe for the same reason they don't like the Lakers, Los Angeles, or their fans. Again, people hated Jordan as well, and he was booed excessively in New York, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Portland and Utah. A ton of Kobe and Lakers fans hate Jordan, also, and will tell you that Magic was the greatest player, and Jordan was overrated.

Yeah and Kobe actually gets cheered in some of those places you pointed out. Lebron doesnt get that reception on the road. Thats when you know Kobe is the face of the NBA, when he is loved all over and gets MVP chants wherever he goes. And internationally its no contest Kobe is more liked. People are in denial.

It was meant in terms of polarizing the public. I think those two are probably the most polarizing athletes of this era.

They don't like him for (allegedly) catalyzing the rift with Shaq. And for Colorado.

You probably refuse to believe it, but I'm speaking for the masses here. I'm not alone.

Guest VicNabb

He is right.

People don't like Kobe for these reasons:

- alleged rape

- greatness

- cockiness

===============================================

Some didn't like Jordan but no where near the effect or amount people dislike Kobe and Bonds. NO WHERE NEAR.

• Owner

Glad that you were voted in to speak for the masses. I guess you weren't a voter when the media gave the MVP to Bryant last season, despite all the incredible hate.

But let me guess: it was a sympathy award? :lol:

It's all one big conspiracy. The truth is, Kobe did rape the girl, he did push Shaq out, and he's quite possibly the biggest basketball villain to ever play the game. Duh. How dare Nike support him, or anyone, for that matter.

Glad that you were voted in to speak for the masses. I guess you weren't a voter when the media gave the MVP to Bryant last season, despite all the incredible hate.

But let me guess: it was a sympathy award? :lol:

It's all one big conspiracy. The truth is, Kobe did rape the girl, he did push Shaq out, and he's quite possibly the biggest basketball villain to ever play the game. Duh. How dare Nike support him, or anyone, for that matter.

Don't try to crystallize the issue here. He was deservedly MVP; his personal reputation has no relation to his performance on the court.

If you think it's just me, I can point you in the direction of several sites and lists that share the same sentiment. They're all recent too.

• Owner

Don't try to crystallize the issue here. He was deservedly MVP; his personal reputation has no relation to his performance on the court.

If you think it's just me, I can point you in the direction of several sites and lists that share the same sentiment. They're all recent too.

Don't worry, I'm a Lakers fan and a Kobe fan. I'm already aware of the people that hate us for ignorant reasons...don't need confirmation of it.

Don't worry, I'm a Lakers fan and a Kobe fan. I'm already aware of the people that hate us for ignorant reasons...don't need confirmation of it.

Guilty.

http://www.twolvesblog.com/images/stories/collegewolf/kobe-vader.jpg

EDIT: I meant I'm guilty of hating. Not Kobe for the rape.

Edited by His Greatness

Kobe gets booed in Philly because he broke Wilt's high school scoring record, beat Iverson and the Sixers in the 2001 Finals, and left that city with nothing but memories of Moses Malone and Julius Erving.

If you think Kobe gets booed a lot in Philly, just wait until LeBron goes to Orlando next season. But I'm sure you won't be changing your tune, regardless.

The only people that speak about Kobe's 2003 incident are those who hate the Lakers and Kobe, just like the Jordan haters that still claim he's the biggest reason for his father's death.

-Noone here cares that he broke Wilt's high school scoring record.

-Shaq threw elbows at Dikembe that entire series and performed way better than Kobe did then. However unlike Bryant Shaq did not get booed. In fact there were more cheers than boo's when Shaq was introduced this year when the Suns visited Philly.

That's because Orlando has a reason to hate LeBron for the antics he's done. There's no real reason for Philadelphia to hate Kobe(a local product) other than his douschebag attitude which is what this comes down to. I'd be willing to bet that LeBron is applauded and loved mostly everywhere he goes though by opposing team fans. At least more so than Bryant.

And I wouldn't put Kobe on Barry Bonds/TO level, but I'm not sure if there's any other athlete that gets more hate that isn't a team chemistry killer/cheater.