Official 09-2010 Dallas Cowboys Team Thread

fish7718

Well preseason is here just got done watching some highlights and looking at some stats of the first game heres what I saw

- Romo impressive as always at keeping plays alive and finding receivers down field 4 of 6 for 36 yards and a TD typical romo line after the Cowboys first drive

- Felix looked very good on his carry, that kid always impresses me with his ability to make jukes and hit holes, hes going to be a star

- Anthony Spencer replacing Greg Ellis only had one tackle. IDK how much time he played but he needs to step up this year and become a dominant force on that left side. If he doesn't thats back to back busts in the 06 and 07 drafts with Carpenter and Spencer after getting Ware in 2005.

- Pat Watkins caught a pass as a wide receiver? Are the experimenting with him and maybe he will come in as a 4/5 WR sometimes?

- Sam Hurd had a very impressive line I still think he can easily have the #2 WR job if he stays healthy which Miles Austin can't seem to do as he missed the game with an injury

- Good to see Keon Lattimore back trying to make the team I like his build as a back. Perhaps he may make the team and back up Deon Anderson.

- Terrence Newman didn't play because of a groin injury, i hope this isnt the same injury as last year or we could be in big trouble if it lingers

- Mike Jenkins missed the game with an ankle injury, im sure if were serious we'd hear more about, still Jenkins needs to get some more reps as the #2 CB a lot more responsibility on him this year, Scandrick might just snatch his job if hes not careful.

- What happened to Nick Folk? I'm now seeing he missed a chip shot 33 yarder? I don't know thus Buehler guy but he may end up being our place kicker this year.

- Mat McBriar averaged 51 yards a punt and 47 yards of net. Good to see him bounce back after that nasty injury in arizona last year. He was a huge loss last year he gives us about 10-15 more yards of field position then the next guy.

Edited by Fish7718

2nd preseason game I actually got to watch saw a lot of things I loved.

- 1st team offense was very efficient using short passes and marion barber to eat up yards and clock. The Titans D is supposed to be really good Romo and Barber picked it apart.

- Felix Jones can be a top 5 back in this league. He never fails to impress me 64 yards on 7 touches.

- Spencer looked well, as he has to do is contain the QB from getting away from Ware, make his tackles, and defend his position in the cover 2 and he'll be fine.

- Sam Hurd does look good made a specatacular 1 handed catch. Crayton also looked well. Austin didn't really get a chance to play with romo. Looks like Austin is going to be the #4 WR at the moment.

- I love the singleback offense they will feature with witten and bennett on the field should be extremely effective.

- Nice to see Terrence Newman playing and even returning punts.

- First chance to see Gerald Sensabaugh play, that boy is pretty fast...

- Romo looks amazing, he made a PERFECT touch pass to witten that impressed the hell out of me. Romo also still showed his great ability to keep a play alive and find a wr. It seems like when he does that he's more effective. As opposed the when he telegraphs passes or just drop backs and already knows where hes going before the play start.

- The new stadium is amazing im absolutely loving it.

- Not sure who the back up FB is Crosslin? I never heard of him but he impressed me as well if Deon Anderson can't come back 100% we might see this crosslin kid get some run.

- Kitna is unimpressive. I guess he is an alright back up but im praying mcgee takes the job from him.

I'm done watching the game for now If I see anything else in I'll post.

2nd preseason game I actually got to watch saw a lot of things I loved.

- 1st team offense was very efficient using short passes and marion barber to eat up yards and clock. The Titans D is supposed to be really good Romo and Barber picked it apart.

- Felix Jones can be a top 5 back in this league. He never fails to impress me 64 yards on 7 touches.

- Spencer looked well, as he has to do is contain the QB from getting away from Ware, make his tackles, and defend his position in the cover 2 and he'll be fine.

- Sam Hurd does look good made a specatacular 1 handed catch. Crayton also looked well. Austin didn't really get a chance to play with romo. Looks like Austin is going to be the #4 WR at the moment.

- I love the singleback offense they will feature with witten and bennett on the field should be extremely effective.

- Nice to see Terrence Newman playing and even returning punts.

- First chance to see Gerald Sensabaugh play, that boy is pretty fast...

- Romo looks amazing, he made a PERFECT touch pass to witten that impressed the hell out of me. Romo also still showed his great ability to keep a play alive and find a wr. It seems like when he does that he's more effective. As opposed the when he telegraphs passes or just drop backs and already knows where hes going before the play start.

- The new stadium is amazing im absolutely loving it.

- Not sure who the back up FB is Crosslin? I never heard of him but he impressed me as well if Deon Anderson can't come back 100% we might see this crosslin kid get some run.

- Kitna is unimpressive. I guess he is an alright back up but im praying mcgee takes the job from him.

I'm done watching the game for now If I see anything else in I'll post.

Romo looks very, very good this year. He's showing tremendous touch on his passes, looking off corners and safeties before releasing a ball that looks very sleek thus far. Maybe without the distractions, we can see Romo climb into the upper echelon of quarterbacks. Right now I think he's a borderline top ten guy, could make the jump with a solid year though.

Felix Jones was impressive, but I don't think he'll be a top five back in this league, especially sharing carries with Marion Barber and Tashard Choice having his hand in the offense a little more after last years solid showing. Don't forget that this is still pre-season, Tennessee had their second team defense and even third unit for most of the game.

I'm actually in the progress of writing an article discussing the 2-TE offense Garrett has going on down in Texas. It's going to be an excellent thing to see, especially since both Witten and Bennett are such exceptional blockers. The ability to open up the ground game, developing play action and still being able to utilize the aerial assault is something that sounds awfully tempting.

The Cowboys are still a team to beat, chemistry issues or not. I've always thought they were a bit overrated, but you took a look at the talent on the team and it's top five in the league, strictly talent wise. They just have 2 things to overcome;

1. Wade Phillips

2. Jason Garrett

If they're able to overcome the two, then the 'Boys are likely in the NFC Championship game or even in the Bowl.

I'm aware, I'm aware. I'm not one to over react over a preseason performance I just like the vision of the field felix shows and his ability to hit holes and make jukes. I personally think Romo is boderline top 5 but that could be my fan bias talking. Yeah I'm pumped to see what Garrett can do with it because Bennett could be a starting tight end on a lot of teams too he was a steal in the 3rd round. You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to football which is good so I have someone else to make an intelligent conversation about football on this forum lol.

Few more things

- Steve McGee 5/6 56 yards 1 td, solid solid, with his skill set hes on the DC behind the perfect person cause romo can show him how to use his speed and mobility to his adavantage.

- Keon Lattimore, I'm really rooting for this kid, it stinks that we are so loaded at the RB position but if we get banged up like last year he could get some significant touches.

- Miles Austin 0 catches, he really needs to show up next week or hes in trouble. Jets were willing to part with a 2nd round draft pick for him, then again the Jets are starved for WR. We'll see...

- Nick Folk knocked one of the upright, he has to prove something as well or buehler will be the PK

I'm aware, I'm aware. I'm not one to over react over a preseason performance I just like the vision of the field felix shows and his ability to hit holes and make jukes. I personally think Romo is boderline top 5 but that could be my fan bias talking. Yeah I'm pumped to see what Garrett can do with it because Bennett could be a starting tight end on a lot of teams too he was a steal in the 3rd round. You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to football which is good so I have someone else to make an intelligent conversation about football on this forum lol.

Few more things

- Steve McGee 5/6 56 yards 1 td, solid solid, with his skill set hes on the DC behind the perfect person cause romo can show him how to use his speed and mobility to his adavantage.

- Keon Lattimore, I'm really rooting for this kid, it stinks that we are so loaded at the RB position but if we get banged up like last year he could get some significant touches.

- Miles Austin 0 catches, he really needs to show up next week or hes in trouble. Jets were willing to part with a 2nd round draft pick for him, then again the Jets are starved for WR. We'll see...

- Nick Folk knocked one of the upright, he has to prove something as well or buehler will be the PK

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you on Felix Jones. He's one of the best weapons you can have as a back-up runner. I think it all comes down to Garrett again. His playcalling was so bland last year, it was tough for the Cowboys to open up the run and pass at the same time, but this formation will definitely do it.

McGee is also interesting. Could be a Wildcat QB, but he's also shown the ability to be an athletic quarterback who can make some throws. I still think Kitna stays as the back-up right now, experience and veteran-ship and whatnot, but McGee is a potential player in this league for sure. I think he can start down the line, provided he's allowed to develop and learn a playbook.

Bennett is on every one of my fantasy teams right now. 5-7 touchdowns, 40+ catches is what I'm expecting. He's gonna find a lot of M2M coverage with the linebacker this year, and that bodes well. He and Witten can be moved around too. Witten's been flashed in full house packages, split out wide, used as a full back, that's why I really like his versatility, a blue collar player. Bennett should fill out to be the same. Dude's an animal in the run game.

• 2 weeks later...

Final Cuts:

Travis Bright, Courtney Brown, Scott Chandler, Julius Crosslin, Marcus Dixon, Tearrius George, Ryan Gibbons,Jeremy Haynes, Jesse Holley, Mike Jefferson, Manuel Johnson, Keon Lattimore, Mike Mickens, Willie Reid, Derreck Robinson, Asaph Schwapp, Jonas Seawright, DeAngelo Smith, Isaiah Stanback ,Matt Stewart, DeAngelo Willingham

The Cowboys always cut my favorites!

Cept Stanback that just surprised me because he was a top 100 pick I think.

Good to see Ogletree make the team though!

Edited by Fish7718

^ Terrible photo/paint shop job at the end there, whoever made that H obviously has no idea how to make straight lines with a computer, or how to keep the white the same white as the sign for that matter . You can post images of romo taking his team to the playoffs first year as a starter to me all you want. He's got 5 years of starting to win a ring IMO.

^ Terrible photo/paint shop job at the end there, whoever made that H obviously has no idea how to make straight lines with a computer, or how to keep the white the same white as the sign for that matter . You can post images of romo taking his team to the playoffs first year as a starter to me all you want. He's got 5 years of starting to win a ring IMO.

or i could just keep posting pictures of him choking and crying in december?

• Owner

Great way to handle trolling, Mike.

If you want, let me know when it happens again, so I can hand out a suspension. Thanks.

Solid win today. We proved we can stretch the field. Hopefully more teams will see this and it will open up our run game a bit more and the short routes that romo had trouble hitting today. However I'm the least bit concerned about our offense. We need to play tougher D, if we were playing a better QB he could have put 50 up on us today. Pressure is just a second off, it was only the first game so I'm not terrified but it should be interesting to see what goes down next Sunday night.

Good win!

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't post after such a disappointing loss. Let's address a few things.

Wide Receivers - I'm impressed. Of course it's not as good as last year but this is a solid core. They have been getting open and making big plays down the field. It helps a lot that we run so many draws and short passes to Witten. The Cowboys are not an offense that needs great receivers, just good play calling.

Rushing Attack - Extremely impressive. Clinton Portis had no shot against this Giants front 7 Barber, Jones and even Choice torched them. Barber's injury doesn't seem to be to serious but even if it is it just means teams have to worry about Choice more.

Defense - Eh needs work. A lot of people have been mentioning corners getting torched. It's funny because it's tough to torch corners when you play mostly man coverage. I can't remember one play the entire game where a cornerback got beat and I was thinking, damn, that was all his fault. (Besides those damn screens to Manningham). On the Newman play where Manningham scored the TD Newman had perfect coverage on him. I believe he thought Sensabaugh had him over the top so he started to let up and guard against the screen. A mental error yes but physically he was stride for stride with Mario. The other play where Scrandick got BARELY beat on a fly in PRESS coverage. Lol come on people. This was obviously a press coverage with a safety over top and Hamlin just [expletive]ed up and didn't cover over top. This being said I think our pass rush needs to start making some more plays. The Giants line is very tough but still we have a very athletic D-line. Hopefully it gets sorted out. Rushing wise Jacobs couldn't do [expletive] against us. Top 5 rushing D in the NFL. Top 5 Red Zone D in the NFL,

Romo - I love how critical everyone gets after one game. I can think all the way back to 2006 when romo first took over. The Cowboys were 3-3 and were going to Carolina to play monday night football. Our QB was Drew Bledsoe a guy with a nice arm but was a statue in the pocket and impossible to protect. Our o-line was being bashed left and right. "They can't block". "The cowboys aren't going anywhere with that old [expletive] line!" Bill Parcells came out announced the back up Tony Romo someone almost no1 outside of Cowboys fans had ever heard of. I'll admit when I first heard it I thought it was a huggggge mistake. I love Drew I thought he could still get us to the playoffs. I was a bit naive. Everyone thought Romo was going to be a complete failure. It didn't help he was going up against one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL back then. Romo went out MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, ON THE ROAD, went 24-36 for 260 yards, TD, Int led his team to a fourth quarter comeback. Won 35-14. Choker? People don't understand how good Romo is. He buys time for his receivers, he can throw on the run, he can make all the necessary throws to win a football game. Whatever, I'm not trying to sell Romo to you guys. Just telling you why I think he's a top 5 QB and will lead this team to a Superbowl eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh we suck again...those refs suck i think we got the better of the bad calls but the calls on both sides just terrible. We just played absolutely terrible. The Broncos aren't even good we just suck...

Wasn't able to watch todays game :(. I guess it was a good game. From the gamecast and such it looked like Dallas outplayed them the whole game. They let them stay in it with sloppy play the first half and dumb penalties in the second half. Still don't know what to say about this team.

Teams they beat: 1-13

Teams they lost to: 10-0

I guess I get to see if they are for real in 2 weeks against Atlanta.

• 4 weeks later...

Handled 2 birds easily so far, now it's time for the Eagle. Tony Romo is playing as good as ever he's completing throws into double coverages and making plays with his feet it's awesome. If he stops fumbling and Witten gets himself more involved then we are going to be mighty tough to stop. I can't see the Eagles with their LB's stoping the 3 headed monster we have at RB, if they get going and Romo is on then the Cowboys should be able to get out of Philly with a win.