Dodgers acquire Jim Thome and Jon Garland

Phightins

I too have my doubts about putting him at first base every day, but that team really could use some more pop in the middle of the lineup. Bringing in a future hall of famer with 25 homeruns to ride the bench makes very little sense.

We're done, why else would we get rid of Thome if we thought we were making the post-season. It's our fault though, we messed up with the crucial Boston, and New York series'. Damn... least I hope Thome can win himself a WS now.

I think you guys will do better now, you guys need this kind of change. and u still have a nice lineup maybe better haha. You'll see man.

Thome is not going to be our regular 1B. Like Flyers said he's going to take a role like Matt Stairs from the Phillies. I like both deals a lot.

Still makes very little sense to me. I mean the concept is good...a powerful lefty bat for the bench. But Jim Thome has never been a bench player in his career. He is a guy who has gotten give or take 30 plate appearances a week for his entire career, and now he will be lucky to get 6 or 7. Baseball is a game of rhythm. Even guys who have been bench players for their entire career say it is very difficult when you know you will get one chance per game, if that. I am sure it is going to be a very hard transition for Jim Thome. Maybe he will be able to pull it off, who knows, but it's pretty unpredictable as of now.

Anyway, you better hope he turns out a little better than Matt Stairs, who has not had a hit since July. :lol:

Edited by Phightins09

Still makes very little sense to me. I mean the concept is good...a powerful lefty bat for the bench. But Jim Thome has never been a bench player in his career. He is a guy who has gotten give or take 30 plate appearances a week for his entire career, and now he will be lucky to get 6 or 7. Baseball is a game of rhythm. Even guys who have been bench players for their entire career say it is very difficult when you know you will get one chance per game, if that. I am sure it is going to be a very hard transition for Jim Thome. Maybe he will be able to pull it off, who knows, but it's pretty unpredictable as of now.

Anyway, you better hope he turns out a little better than Matt Stairs, who has not had a hit since July. :lol:

He might play 1B once a week. I really don't know as well, its a desperation move by Ned. At this point I'm as confused as you. We'll see, but in reality he's going to have to accept his new role. I remember reading somewhere, where Ned and Thome had a discussion about a trade to the Dodgers before the trade deadlibe and Thome said he was cool being in the bench.