3. OJ Mayo

4. Russell Westbrook

5. Kevin Love

Blue - Star

Green - Perennial all-star or solid 2nd or 3rd option

Grey - Meh solid player, not a bad pick

Orange - Bust but not a terrible player

Red - Total bust

This isn't a matter of who was picked ahead of who, its about how well the pick turned out (apologies to Jay Williams and Shaun Livingston but I'm counting injuries).

Edited by Dash

can we kill the yellow. ;]

not to bad of a list though.

Done. Changed to grey.

how can u be a bust but not a terrible player lol.

oden played one season an hes a bust?

A bust is defined as a player that doesn't meet the expectations of a pick. Just because a player is a bust doesn't mean they are terrible, still can be solid role players to a good team.

If you read the post, after the 2006 draft I color coded accordingly to how a player played so far. Greg Oden hasn't shown anything last season that could even upgrade him to grey.

Anyways, I used a simple point system (probably defective) to rank the overall picks.

1. First overall pick

2. Third overall pick

3. Fifth overall pick

5T. Second and Fourth overall picks

Strange, the even numbers have produced the worst players from the top 5. The real #2 pick is actually the pick right after it, the third overall pick.

For more fun I went ahead and used that point system and applied it to the 2009 NBA Draft.

1. Blake Griffin

2. Hasheem Thabeet

3. James Harden

4. Tyreke Evans

5. Ricky Rubio

I still lol whenever I see that 2005 draft class and who people decided to take over Chris and Deron

The Bucks taking Bogut makes sense, but the Hawks.. a team that was in need of a PG for so many years passing up on Deron or CP3, terrible move and they clearly regret it.

I laugh when people call Oden a bust. :lol:

Again, just what the hell has Oden done exactly? I see the potential, he showed us flashes of what he can become but overall he didn't do squat.

If I had to redraft the 04 draft it'd probably go like this.

1. Dwight Howard- Orlando Magic

2. Devin Harris- Charlotte Bobcats

3. Al Jefferson - Chicago Bulls

4. Jammer Nelson - Los Angeles Clippers

5. Andre Igoudola - Washington Wizards

If you look at this draft a couple years later it was loaded.

I mean 2 of the top 3 centers are in this draft.

Edited depending on team needs at the time

Edited by Years

I don't see how OJ Mayo/Chris Bosh is classified as a "star", but Gasol isn't. Gasol is on the same level as either of those guys.

Also there's too many "perenniel all-star players". A perenniel all-star is someone that's always on the all-star team year after year and many of those guys arn't even 2nd or 3rd options on a true contending team such as Beasley, Love, Green, Okafor.

Praise for the effort. Really nice job.

I have a few quarrels, though.

2001:

Pau Gasol should definitely be in the blue. The Grizzlies, behind him, and with Hubie Brown as coach had a few 50 win seasons with Gasol as the focal point of the team. It's true, their successes when they got to the Playoffs weren't extraordinary, but Gasol still shone and showed that he was the true star of that team. He did win a championship as the second player, but behind Kobe Bryant, every other player in the league will be a 'second option'. Re-itterating, in my personal opinion, Gasol is a star - especially since looking down your list, the other guys in green include Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor - Gasol is a complete level above them.

2002:

I guess you could go ahead and say that the only reason Drew Gooden ever existed was to grab offensive rebounds early in his career for the Cavaliers. He's not a good player by any means; mentally, he's slow and unintelligent and physically, he peaked at about his third year in the league and has been on a slide since. I wouldn't really even call his career a 'meh', I'd just say, I'll just say, that if he were in a stronger draft, I'd consider him only if I was picking about 25-30th.

I'm not sure about Mike Dunleavy either. I think he has potential to be a good second option. He's slow for a guard, yes, but he's incredibly long and handles the ball at a surprisingly good clip. He's unselfish; determined and an intelligent player. If he were in a better situation; say, if the Spurs traded for him instead of Jefferson, I think he'd really excel and come to light.

2004:

Andrew Bogut is the major problem I have here. I'm not only saying this because I live in Australia and think he's the greatest thing to ever come out of here or anything, but honestly, he's more than a 'meh' player. He averaged a double-double this season on what was basically two broken legs and he's one of the best passing big men in the league. He also blocks plenty of shots, defends the paint pretty well and will give you what you expect; that being about 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5+ blocks. If critics stop building this facade that because he's the first pick, he should be 22/10 without question, they'd see that he's actually a pretty talented player. I think he should be slipped into the green range.

2007/2008:

Al Horford and Jeff Green are not perrenial all-stars nor have either shown that they might be. Jeff Green has an abundance of talent that still needs to be fine-tuned but Horford is nothing more than a run-off-the-mill, hardworking forward who fits into any system, any team, any place. I consider them both good pieces to have around, but you're not winning a championship or even making the playoffs in some circumstances if Horford or Green are your second options.

None of the guys who you have as perrenial all-stars in the 2008 draft would I consider as actually that. You said you were judging them on how they have played so far, so, so far, what's perennially all-stariffic about 13 points, 5 rebounds and poor defense (Michael Beasley), or 11 points and 9 rebounds (Kevin Love). Don't get me wrong, I like these guys and hope they do succeed, but you're jumping the gun about a year or two earlier on this one. Beasley is currently in rehab, which, as history shows, doesn't do wonders for past NBA players (see: Clarence Weatherspoon, Vin Baker - ironically, both undersize for their positions as well), and Love looks like he may peak at being just a 'meh' player anyway.

:) looking forward to some sort of reply.

For more fun I went ahead and used that point system and applied it to the 2009 NBA Draft.

1. Blake Griffin

2. Hasheem Thabeet

3. James Harden

4. Tyreke Evans

5. Ricky Rubio

hmm. i think that griffin and evans will be the stars. no way james harden will be a star. he already needs to deal with westbrook durant and green. but he will be a borderline all-star, probably 2nd 3rd and 4th options for games. thabeet i think will be a HUGE bust. maybe a few blocked shots per game but that is it. rubio i think will also be a borderline all star, if he ever comes to the league. he will be a leader though.

• 2 months later...

I forgot all about this. :lol:

2001:

Pau Gasol should definitely be in the blue. The Grizzlies, behind him, and with Hubie Brown as coach had a few 50 win seasons with Gasol as the focal point of the team. It's true, their successes when they got to the Playoffs weren't extraordinary, but Gasol still shone and showed that he was the true star of that team. He did win a championship as the second player, but behind Kobe Bryant, every other player in the league will be a 'second option'. Re-itterating, in my personal opinion, Gasol is a star - especially since looking down your list, the other guys in green include Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor - Gasol is a complete level above them.

I agree Gasol is the total package offensively but his defense was exploited so many times during the series though. When I made this list I was considering one of two things...one was dropping Bosh to a 'green' because I didn't feel he was exactly a star back then (opinion changed now) or move them both up to blue. Gasol was probably the toughest for me to decide on but I wish I could find some middle ground, because I see him as a great player but not totally a star.

2004:

Andrew Bogut is the major problem I have here. I'm not only saying this because I live in Australia and think he's the greatest thing to ever come out of here or anything, but honestly, he's more than a 'meh' player. He averaged a double-double this season on what was basically two broken legs and he's one of the best passing big men in the league. He also blocks plenty of shots, defends the paint pretty well and will give you what you expect; that being about 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5+ blocks. If critics stop building this facade that because he's the first pick, he should be 22/10 without question, they'd see that he's actually a pretty talented player. I think he should be slipped into the green range.

This is where we agree. I ignored Bogut last year but after the Bucks' success this season (so far), I have started to take notice on him. This year it seems he's more defensively orientated and he's still that double-double player from last year (his post game is quite polished).

2007/2008:

Al Horford and Jeff Green are not perrenial all-stars nor have either shown that they might be. Jeff Green has an abundance of talent that still needs to be fine-tuned but Horford is nothing more than a run-off-the-mill, hardworking forward who fits into any system, any team, any place. I consider them both good pieces to have around, but you're not winning a championship or even making the playoffs in some circumstances if Horford or Green are your second options.

None of the guys who you have as perrenial all-stars in the 2008 draft would I consider as actually that. You said you were judging them on how they have played so far, so, so far, what's perennially all-stariffic about 13 points, 5 rebounds and poor defense (Michael Beasley), or 11 points and 9 rebounds (Kevin Love). Don't get me wrong, I like these guys and hope they do succeed, but you're jumping the gun about a year or two earlier on this one. Beasley is currently in rehab, which, as history shows, doesn't do wonders for past NBA players (see: Clarence Weatherspoon, Vin Baker - ironically, both undersize for their positions as well), and Love looks like he may peak at being just a 'meh' player anyway.

Not perennial all-stars but Green and Horford are third options especially Green, whose large frame and shooting ability were showcased last year. Horford looked GREAT last year, his stats weren't all that but he was barely taking 7 shots per game.

From the 2007 draft and on, I had to lower my standards because its tough to judge players that early on. I can't be expecting 18 ppg and 7 rpg from rookies and second year guys like Beasley. It might have been best to create a separate system for those picks. Sorry, I seem to have confused a lot of people (and myself) on that part.

J-Rich should be green. He isn't just solid imo, and was the number 1 option for the Bobcats and number 2 for the Warriors, 1 at some point.

I watched him play a lot last year and he looked stale on offense, didn't try on defense and needed to the ball in hands to be effective. The return of the run N gun in Phoenix has helped bolster his numbers.

I don't think that just because he was a former first option that he should be bumped. Ricky Davis in 2003 led 'his' Cleveland Cavaliers in scoring and now is running scrub minutes for the Clippers.

• 3 weeks later...

No way Greg Oden is a bust lol.. He just had a tough break last year and now this year hes playing really good.

If by playing "really good" you mean putting up a mediocore 11-8 stats then yes, he is playing really good.

Greg Oden is a bust and he is especially a bust when you consider the players that came after him.

Kevin Durant - 28ppg 7rpg 4apg 2spg

Al Horford - 14ppg 10rpg 2apg 2bpg

Jeff Green - 15ppg 6rpg 2apg 1spg

Joakim Noah - 11ppg 12rpg 3apg 2bpg

Thad Young - 15ppg 5rpg 4apg 1spg

Al Thornton - 15ppg 4rpg 3apg 1spg

Rodney Stuckey - 18ppg 5rpg 5apg 1spg

• 2 weeks later...

Way too early to call Tyrus Thomas a bust, he is only 23 years old he would be a rookie coming into the league right now if he had stayed in college. He has shown a ton of potential I would have him as gray. I could nitpick in a lot of other areas but I won't.

Edited by Fish7718

If by playing "really good" you mean putting up a mediocore 11-8 stats then yes, he is playing really good.

Greg Oden is a bust and he is especially a bust when you consider the players that came after him.

Kevin Durant - 28ppg 7rpg 4apg 2spg

Al Horford - 14ppg 10rpg 2apg 2bpg

Jeff Green - 15ppg 6rpg 2apg 1spg

Joakim Noah - 11ppg 12rpg 3apg 2bpg

Thad Young - 15ppg 5rpg 4apg 1spg

Al Thornton - 15ppg 4rpg 3apg 1spg

Rodney Stuckey - 18ppg 5rpg 5apg 1spg

Wilson Chandler 14ppg 5rpg 2 apg 1 bpg