Kevin Love is pretty good

• Owner

I've watched quite a few Wolves games since they traded for Love in the draft (gotta love League Pass), and I noticed that Love is a decent player.

But I'm looking at his stats, and this sticks out:

11.1 PPG, 9.1 RPG (3.4 offensive), 25.3 minutes

Compare those numbers to Pau Gasol, who I believe is a top three or four power forward in the league (and an all-star last year):

18.6 PPG, 9.2 RPG (3.2 offensive), 37.0 minutes

Now I know that Love doesn't shoot at a higher percentage, and he does foul a bit more than Gasol does.

Thing is, I think Love can be a 18/10 player soon, and he could have the potential to do it in the next couple of years, especially with the addition of a point guard in Sessions that can actually get him the ball in better positions, and with Rubio coming in two years, who knows?

I'm sure it would've been twice as awesome to keep OJ Mayo, but Love isn't a bad consolation prize.

• Owner

Grizzlies may of been better off with Love right now, but Mayo has so much more potential compared to Love, IMO. Love's post defense is pretty mediocre too.

Well, haha, that's not fair. Mayo is a potential superstar. I think Love's ceiling is all-star, but that may be reaching in a league with an abundance of talented power forwards.

I think Memphis made the right choice to trade Love for Mayo, at that time and for the future. I'm just not so sure about Thabeet...but that's for another topic.

I've always liked Love.

I remember reading an article on ESPN before he joined UCLA. The article was discussing his IQ, his offensive and defensive abilities, but most importantly, focused on his passing ability on the rebound. His perfect situation would be a system that emphasizes the fast break when they need it, but also plays a half court game when they can't get it. Love, as the article says, is a once in a lifetime 'outlet passer'. Though it might not seem like a big deal, it's such a pleasure having a big man be able to rebound and want to immediately initiate a quick offense and I think that's what the Wolves realised, to be honest. He fit in right with Telfair, who could (albeit on an average level) push the ball, and also slow it down if need be. Same goes for Flynn now, who loves to run, but is also capable of being a leader; Not so much Sessions if they manage to sign him, though, so it'll be nice keeping an eye on how many minutes he gets with each of these guys on the court.

Post All-Star break, when most rookies come into their own, Love was averaging 14.0 points per game | 9.6 rebounds per game | 27.8 minutes per game. I think, with time, he could definitely be a player who averages 18 points, 11 rebounds if he quits being so keen on the mid-range jump shot and uses his bulk to hurt guys inside.

Well, haha, that's not fair. Mayo is a potential superstar. I think Love's ceiling is all-star, but that may be reaching in a league with an abundance of talented power forwards.

I think Memphis made the right choice to trade Love for Mayo, at that time and for the future. I'm just not so sure about Thabeet...but that's for another topic.

I've said this before on other forums, but Thabeet is the worst draft choice Memphis had ever made. Yes, worse then Stro at No. 2.

• Owner

I've said this before on other forums, but Thabeet is the worst draft choice Memphis had ever made. Yes, worse then Stro at No. 2.

Ouch. Don't go that far just yet, haha. Thabeet needs at least 40 games under his belt before you dropkick him into planet Bust. :lol:

But yeah, after seeing him get dominated in the SL, I don't know what to think. I had high hopes for him.