Phoenix Coyotes

Universe

I don't know if anyone else is following it but Phoenix is broke and Blackberry billionaire Jim Balsillie wants to move the team into Hamilton, Ontario. Problem is that the NHL doesn't want him to move it there a ) NHL loses the money they could sell the team and b ) Toronto will sue for being in there "area".

There was a couple bids in but it went down to Balsillie, the NHL and IcdeEdge. Balsillie raised his bid to US$242.5 million which IceEdge then stepped down.

Should be interesting as it's getting closer to the end.

Edited by Universe

I was following this a couple months ago, but now that it isn't hockey season, this gets absolutely no coverage in the States.

I'm hoping they stay in Phoenix. They have that beautiful new arena down there. And I can think of a few other cities with NHL franchises who are far less deserving. Obviously can't control that though.

I was following this a couple months ago, but now that it isn't hockey season, this gets absolutely no coverage in the States.

I'm hoping they stay in Phoenix. They have that beautiful new arena down there. And I can think of a few other cities with NHL franchises who are far less deserving. Obviously can't control that though.

Either way they are leaving this year or next. Jim wants to move the team this year (not possible) and Gary will move them next year.

I am hoping for them to come here as Buffalo has become too expensive so it will bring them back down to earth. He has some nice plans to improve the arena too which should be good.

Wasn't Jerry Reinsdorf involved in the bidding at one point, with the intent of keeping them in Phoenix? Sorry I guess I am pretty behind on this story.

And should they come east, I wonder what the NHL would do as far as realignment. They already have a bunch of teams on the eastern half of the continent playing in the Western Conference, so that would be very interesting to see play out.

Wasn't Jerry Reinsdorf involved in the bidding at one point, with the intent of keeping them in Phoenix? Sorry I guess I am pretty behind on this story.

And should they come east, I wonder what the NHL would do as far as realignment. They already have a bunch of teams on the eastern half of the continent playing in the Western Conference, so that would be very interesting to see play out.

Yeah he was in and out. This most recent deal kills everything because it pays off everything and even leaves the city $50 million.

• 3 weeks later...

They should move the Coyotes franchise back to Canada. There's a strong fan base almost in all of Canada but the problem in this case is that Hamilton is too close to Toronto and Gary Bettman has always wanted to turn hockey into an American sport.

Yeah but I really doubt Toronto's market gets taken over especailly with Brian Burke there. It's just funny how the NHL has an owner willing to spend millions upon millions on players, arenas and all this other stuff but doesn't want him to own a team. Any other league would jump all over this with a bankrupt team.

I agree with you. Basillie just wants to bring a team back to Canada and he doesn't care how much the price tag will be. Problem is Gary Bettman has to answer to Maple Leafs Sports Entertainment executives if a team does go to Hamilton. I believe they have the right to decline a team to come into "their area".

there are two NY teams, why not two toronto teams

Well, the Islanders are not doing too much better than the Coyotes are in Phoenix haha. Even the Devils have a very hard time drawing fans, and they are actually worthy of being in the NHL.

Edited by Phightins09

if the islanders were better then they would get more attention, but with the rangers and devils, no one cares about the islanders

Nobody really cares about the Devils either. The Rangers dominate that market.

• 2 weeks later...