Allen Iverson or Chauncey Billups

Multi-Billionaire

• Owner

^You missed this part (the newspaper, page 7).

:blink:

Continue reading. You know why he came back. He wanted to play longer than two years, and would have, if it wasn't for the torn cartilage in his knee.

It's obvious you know nothing about MJ. When he said he still wants to play (just last year, and at the HOF ceremony), do you think it's so he can teach kids how to play the game? Give me a break.

• Owner

What he meant by "kids" is the Wizards players, I assume you know that?

And what he meant by "missing the game" is that he misses playing the game, and that the "competitive problem" means he wants to be out on the court, winning games himself, and that the challenge is showing that he can still do it.

If all he was doing was trying to help the Wizards players, he would've wanted to be a coach, or he would've averaged much less PPG. He led the team in scoring, and he dominated teams with 40+ point performances at age 38, scored 50 also. How is that helping the kids? What a ballhog, right? :lol:

Eleven 30's, four 40's, one 50 in 2001-02.

Six 30's, three 40's the following season.

You think he came back just to teach the young guys how to play? It's crystal clear why he did.

And what he meant by "missing the game" is that he misses playing the game, and that the "competitive problem" means he wants to be out on the court, winning games himself, and that the challenge is showing that he can still do it.

If all he was doing was trying to help the Wizards players, he would've wanted to be a coach, or he would've averaged much less PPG. He led the team in scoring, and he dominated teams with 40+ point performances at age 38, scored 50 also. How is that helping the kids? What a ballhog, right? :lol:

Eleven 30's, four 40's, one 50 in 2001-02.

Six 30's, three 40's the following season.

You think he came back just to teach the young guys how to play? It's crystal clear why he did.

You think scoring is the only way you play basketball. Or you value scoring the most.

No wonder you say you have difficulty playing defense. No wonder you defend AI for being a ballhog.

Noone on that team could score, their top rookie was a bust. He had to score for the team to be competitive. Scoring was his role, what he meant by teaching them is to find, understand, and fulfill their role for one team to win. How to deal with media, how to be good and motivating teammates.

• Owner

You think scoring is the only way you play basketball. Or you value scoring the most.

No wonder you say you have difficulty playing defense. No wonder you defend AI for being a ballhog.

Noone on that team could score, their top rookie was a bust. He had to score for the team to be competitive. Scoring was his role, what he meant by teaching them is to find, understand, and fulfill their role for one team to win. How to deal with media, how to be good and motivating teammates.

Actually, and I did this purposely, my trouble with defense lies in the post. I'm an excellent perimeter defender. Anyways...

Nobody on those two teams could score, huh? Richard Hamilton averaged 20 with Jordan. Jerry Stackhouse averaged 29.8 PPG just two seasons before teaming with Jordan, and all of that was pre-injury (he had that severe injury after Jordan's retirement).

What else is there to say? Everything you assume, it just gets shot down.

The fact that Rip averaged 20 with MJ, says that MJ still shared the ball. I did not mean to say scoring is for one person ONLY to fill. Scoring role on a team is usually shouldered by two or more players. It just so happened MJ led the team in scoring.

The highest ppg Rip averaged in Detroit is also 20.1 ppg, it's not like MJ held him back.

• Owner

The fact that Rip averaged 20 with MJ, says that MJ still shared the ball. I did not mean to say scoring is for one person ONLY to fill. Scoring role on a team is usually shouldered by two or more players. It just so happened MJ led the team in scoring.

The highest ppg Rip averaged in Detroit is also 20.1 ppg, it's not like MJ held him back.

Awesome. Because that means that Kobe shared the ball with Shaq in 2000 and 2001, even though you say he had trouble doing such until that ankle injury.

Can't have it both ways.

It all falls back to Iverson signing with a non-contender, and that's why you're doing this.

What if Iverson wants to help out Mayo? :o What if it's not just about winning championship, as Jordan said? :o

It wouldn't matter, though, because obviously, Jordan isn't Iverson. Nobody is Iverson. And that's your argument.

Good luck to Denver this season. For me, this debate is over.

The person who labeled Kobe was selfish in 2000-01 season was not only me, the whole world could see. I think Phil Jackson suggested Kobe gave advice to J.R. Rider on his role on the team, then Kobe said something like it was not his responsibility, and then Phil said something like Kobe wouldn't help Rider because he wouldn't share his 28 shots a game.

And I'm not talking about two seasons. I'm singling out the 2000-01 season when Kobe came to training camp noticeably stronger and he wanted his role to increase from 1999-2000 season.

The old guys from championship #1, Horry, Fisher, Fox all were frustrated with him. A jump from 22ppg to 28ppg speaks for itself. Kobe was a rapidly improving offensive player, but it should have taken a more natural slower pace. He was forcing to push himself to a 28 ppg player, to his credit, he did it... but he was forcing it.

I can't see why AI would help out Mayo, a player who he is no closer than he is close with LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, Melo, and KG. All the older players he could have been on the same team with if he had signed with one of their teams.

• Owner

The whole world thought Kobe was selfish for 5-6 seasons or longer...so if you're going to give me "the whole world" in your argument, you might as well dismiss your own assumptions.

Fact was, Kobe was still running the dynasty's offense as a selfish player. Talk about a single season, but not about the other two? You would.

Fine if you want to say Kobe was selfish, he was selfish because he was doing or asking to do more than his given role.

But now, Kobe in 2009, I don't think you can label him as selfish. He's a fully mature pro who understands his role and he doesn't do less or more than what he's asked of in his role.

AI is past his prime. The fact when the Pistons as a team and system told him his role is bench, he wanted to break out of it and do more than the role he was given. That's selfish.

Cali:

1. Monta Ellis

2. Kobe Bryant

3. Kevin Martin

4. Pau Gasol

5. Andrew Bynum

Depth - Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Nocioni, Spencer Hawes, Stephen Jackson, Andris Biedrins, Corey Maggette, Derick Fisher

Coach: Jackson

Texas:

1. Jason Kidd

2. Tracy McGrady

3. Richard Jefferson

4. Dirk Nowitzki

5. Tim Duncan

Depth - Yao Ming, Manu Ginobili,Tony Parker , Josh Howard, Jason Terry ,Shawn Marion , Michael Finley, Antonio McDyess

Coach: Popavic

This is a real tough one here and if it was the Clippers over Goldenstate for the Cali team i think they would have the edge, but right now with the rosters i set up the Texas team is just so deep.

Who wins the MVP? Dirk

Who has the hottest temper? Ron Artest

Who has the highest PPG? Dirk

Who has the higest RPG? Duncan

Who has the highest APG? Kidd

Who commits the most turnovers? K-Mart

The comparison comes down to more than stats when you look at Iverson and Billups. Billups simply gelled with Denver more than Iverson did and it was evident by them reaching the WCF. Stats will always favor Iverson we know that as its been the case his whole career. However, when you bring in a proven winner and leader like Billups I think a team like Denver responds better. Iverson in Detroit was a disaster and I hope he does well in Memphis but I'm not sure he'll even be as good as his last full season in Denver.

• Owner

So "gelling" has nothing to do with the main teammates playing better statistically under Iverson? Just toss that out the window?

Point is, statistically, I win the debate. That's a fact.

Otherwise, it's all opinion...and in the end, who really wins that?

So "gelling" has nothing to do with the main teammates playing better statistically under Iverson? Just toss that out the window?

Point is, statistically, I win the debate. That's a fact.

Otherwise, it's all opinion...and in the end, who really wins that?

Apparently gelling with Billups led to more wins and a trip to the WCF. Does that not mean something?

Yeah congrats you win based on stats but at the end of the day what matters is who the team went further with and it was obviously Billups. Congrats on winning a stats debate I guess.