McNabb Ruled out for week 2

fish7718

Updating a previous item, FOXSports' Jay Glazer reports that Donovan McNabb (fractured rib) will miss Week 2, but says after that "it's up in the air."

It sounds like the Eagles are definitely planning to hold McNabb out against the Saints. Then it'll come down to a pain-tolerance issue. The Eagles may look into re-signing free agent A.J. Feeley to "compete in practice" with Kevin Kolb to start Week 2. But they'll have competition for Feeley.

Bummer for the Eagles. If the Saints can put a few points on the board they may be able to escape philly with a cheap win.

Ouch, I mean how serious is a fractured rib? Very serious, its something that lingers unless you sit out long enough to heal it. They better make damn sure Mcnabb comes back at full strength, but also need to win games. Its going to be tough for the Eagles, Mcnabb might not be the same again this season.

Ouch, I mean how serious is a fractured rib? Very serious, its something that lingers unless you sit out long enough to heal it. They better make damn sure Mcnabb comes back at full strength, but also need to win games. Its going to be tough for the Eagles, Mcnabb might not be the same again this season.

Yeah Ribs kill. Every time you breathe you are in pain. So just imagine if your breathing heavily. Then imagine breathing heavily after taking a big hit. Vick might have to handle this offense for more than just a few weeks.

• Like 1

McNabb might miss a couple of games, but hopefully we'll manage.

I'm not worried. Westbrook played with fractured ribs in the past, and he's a runningback. McNabb is a warrior though, he won't let this get to him. If he can play with a broken ankle, anything is possible. In the mean time, we just gotta hold down the fort and let him heal.

• Owner

It'll definitely have a negative effect on his passing accuracy and strength. As a wideout or almost any other player on the field, you aren't involved in EVERY play with the ball in your hands. McNabb has to take the snaps and will have to rely on the run game much more, until those ribs heal up.

McNabb didn't even need to do much to begin with yesterday. He only threw for 70-something yards and created a lot of plays with his legs....And we still killed the Panthers. I think Vick will definetly be able to lead this team to victory seeing as how McNabb didn't do much and we still dominated.

The only worry is next week. I really don't want to see Kolb out there. Sign and start Feeley please.

• Owner

The Panthers and Saints are two different animals. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints completely run over the Eagles...but with Philly's defense, I also wouldn't be shocked to see a close one, although Brees is actually an excellent QB.

And no, don't grab Garcia. Even though he was probably going to be better than JaMarcus Russell this season, he's still done as a winning starting QB.

Yeah. And also, not saying I don't trust Jay Glazer's word or anything, but I don't think he has officially been ruled out. Andy said yesterday that he wouldn't know anything until this morning at the earliest. Everything depended on how he felt after the night. And the latest I heard is that Donovan is going to try his hardest to play next week. Now I cannot fathom how somebody could possibly play football with broken ribs, so I am not holding my breath, but nothing is official.

EDIT:

Yeah, this is from the Philadelphia Inquirer's Eagles blog, from about ten minutes ago:

Donovan McNabb, who has a rib fracture, is questionable for Sunday's home opener, Eagles coach Andy Reid said.

"He's going to try and battle through that this week," Reid said.

If McNabb were to attempt to play he would more than likely wear a flak jacket to protect his injury. If he can't go, Kevin Kolb will get his first career NFL start.

McNabb fractured a rib in the third quarter of yesterday's 38-10 drubbing of Carolina when the 301-pound Damione Lewis pounced on the quarterback after he muscled his way for a 5-yard TD.

McNabb left the game and headed into the locker room to be examined. An x-ray revealed that he had broke one rib near his lower back.

Reid, during his game-after press conference at the NovaCare Complex, said that McNabb would practice and attempt to play. He also said that Kolb will also work with the first team during practice this week. Normally the backup quarterback gets no first-team reps during the week before a game.

If Kolb gets the nod, the third-year quarterback will get the opportunity to show that he was worth the second round draft pick the Eagles expended on him in 2007. Last season, Kolb started the second half of the Novemeber Baltimore game after McNabb had a brutal first half. Kolb, though, had a rough debut with the first team, throwing for two interceptions, one of which was returned 108 yards for a touchdown.

Yesterday he didn't fare much better in relief of McNabb, completing 7 of 11 passes for just 23 yards. Kolb was also sacked twice, fumbling once.

The 1-0 Eagles host the New Orleans Saints on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Lincoln Financial Field.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Reid_McNabb_will_try_to_play.html

So, doesn't look like anything is official.

Edited by Phightins09

nah, i cant believe that they would rule him out that quickly. obviously chances are that he cant play, but there is always a chance, and this is an injury that you could play though.

and we dont know which rib he broke. some ribs might have more of an affect on throwing then others. who knows, but there is always a chance

nah, i cant believe that they would rule him out that quickly. obviously chances are that he cant play, but there is always a chance, and this is an injury that you could play though.

and we dont know which rib he broke. some ribs might have more of an affect on throwing then others. who knows, but there is always a chance

From the the video it appeared to be one of the ribs more near the chest however I have no clue. If he can perform well in practice I suppose he will start. Kolb with take snaps with first team Wednesday so I'd say 75% Kolb 25% McNabb.

Edited by Fish7718

From the the video it appeared to be one of the ribs more near the chest however I have no clue. If he can perform well in practice I suppose he will start. Kolb with take snaps with first team Wednesday so I'd say 75% Kolb 25% McNabb.

yeah, but in the article above it said a rib near his lower back, so i really have no idea

but my guess from limited knowledge is that mcnabb will sit out this week but come back the week after. he has to rest the ribs a little bit at least. and kolb will be getting the reps in practice, but if he doesnt do well in practice then i would not be surprised to see garcia start. you can never really trust what reid says with that kind of stuff

and i would also not be surprised to see kolb start, but garcia come in if anything bad happens at all

The Panthers and Saints are two different animals. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints completely run over the Eagles...but with Philly's defense, I also wouldn't be shocked to see a close one, although Brees is actually an excellent QB.

And no, don't grab Garcia. Even though he was probably going to be better than JaMarcus Russell this season, he's still done as a winning starting QB.

Yeah the Saints sure are going to run over the Eagles. The Panthers last year had the best RB duo in Williams-Stewart in years. The Eagles completely shut them both down. The Panthers were the top team in that division last year and didn't get much worse so don't make them out to be some scrub team.

If the Eagles secondary plays like it did in Week 1, and it the guys up front can get that same pressure it doesn't matter if it's Jake Delhomme, Drew Brees, or Joe Montana back there. Their going to get wrecked.

Yeah the Saints sure are going to run over the Eagles. The Panthers last year had the best RB duo in Williams-Stewart in years. The Eagles completely shut them both down. The Panthers were the top team in that division last year and didn't get much worse so don't make them out to be some scrub team.

If the Eagles secondary plays like it did in Week 1, and it the guys up front can get that same pressure it doesn't matter if it's Jake Delhomme, Drew Brees, or Joe Montana back there. Their going to get wrecked.

So, you're saying that pretty much every team would get wrecked by the Philadelphia Eagles secondary? :lol: .

So, you're saying that pretty much every team would get wrecked by the Philadelphia Eagles secondary? :lol: .

If they play at the level they did in Week 1, then yes. I am not going to expect that kind of production every week, but anything close to that is going to be pretty damn good.

• Owner

Yeah, yeah, we're all going to get wrecked by the Eagles. I know.