Arenas: Nobody Can Guard Me

MainEv3nt

Gilbert Arenas is back to full strength thanks to trainer Tim Glover.

"Nobody could guard me before, and can't nobody guard me now," Arenas told The Washington Times. "If I hadn't come up here, I'd be starting off the season with a 95 percent chance that I'd be sitting out more games. ... [Mr. Grover] saved my career."

The Wizards star has had three surgeries on his left knee. To a degree, Arenas blames the club for failed comebacks in each of the last two seasons.

"They handled me going off what they had seen before and said, 'You can't lift weights because you might chip a bone,' " Arenas said. "That's their experience. Everybody has theirs. It took me two years to realize that I was a case study. Ultimately, I can prove I can get hurt, sit out two years and come back and be as good as I was."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61620/20090916/arenas_nobody_can_guard_me/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner

He has a point, he scored 60 points on Kobe.

That's a simple way of saying, "I didn't watch the game because I don't pay attention to any basketball other than my Rockets, who can't guard anybody."

Get off Kobe's [expletive]. You're like a flea.

That's a simple way of saying, "I didn't watch the game because I don't pay attention to any basketball other than my Rockets, who can't guard anybody."

Get off Kobe's [expletive]. You're like a flea.

Actually the Rockets have good defense. But he actually did score 60 on the Lakers.

And being on someone's nuts means you have to back them up all the time and say they are the best at everything.

• Owner

Actually the Rockets have good defense. But he actually did score 60 on the Lakers.

And being on someone's nuts means you have to back them up all the time and say they are the best at everything.

It also means you're completely obsessive and baiting the Lakers fans, which is what you were last suspended for, and which will eventually get you permanently banned (just so the mods and admins get this message).

Hate him or love him, there's no denying the fact that if Gilbert ever gets back to his old form, he will be a top 3 PG in this league behind Paul and Williams.

And for anyone who actually watched him play throughout the '06 season, they would agree that Gil was unguardable, and one of the most explosive players in the league.

It also means you're completely obsessive and baiting the Lakers fans, which is what you were last suspended for, and which will eventually get you permanently banned (just so the mods and admins get this message).

Actually that post wasnt baiting Laker fans at all, and this isnt even the Lakers forum.

• Owner

Actually that post wasnt baiting Laker fans at all, and this isnt even the Lakers forum.

It doesn't have to be the Lakers forum, and you know what you're doing. The staff will know what to do with you if it continues. We're done talking about it.

You can all hate on him, but it's his ego that gives him the confidence to be the player that he is. He enters the court with the mindset that no one can stop him if he gives 100% effort night in and night out. That is why he had such success in the past.

And RD, you threaten Yugo with a potential ban for bashing the Lakers, but I notice you give the Wizards a real hard time as well with the bashing our fan base takes from you. Doubting their projected seed in the power rankings, saying Gilbert will never amount to anything after his injury, etc. etc. I know it's a debate and I respect your opinion, but it's the way you present your views about him that make your comment towards Yugo hypocritical.

• Owner

And RD, you threaten Yugo with a potential ban for bashing the Lakers, but I notice you give the Wizards a real hard time as well with the bashing our fan base takes from you. Doubting their projected seed in the power rankings, saying Gilbert will never amount to anything after his injury, etc. etc. I know it's a debate and I respect your opinion, but it's the way you present your views about him that make your comment towards Yugo hypocritical.

Don't ever compare the two. Slaven had numerous consecutive posts about Kobe in multiple forums before he was banned. I bash Gilbert a couple of times in topics dealing with him, and it drops tears from your eyes?

Additionally, all I said was that he wasn't unstoppable. You really think he ever was? Please. If that's the case, so was Vince, McGrady, Allen, Pierce, and a plethora of other guards and small forwards...and, in turn, that doesn't quite make it so special anymore, does it?

Remember when he said he was going to drop at least 50 on the Suns...and he did. Remember when he said he was going to drop at least 50 on the Blazers...He didn't. Because he was stopped early in the game and didn't want to come back.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gilbert and we all know he's one of the cockiest players in the league, but he can be stopped. If he couldn't be stopped, he'd be averaging at least 35+ points a game. We'll see though.

Don't ever compare the two. Slaven had numerous consecutive posts about Kobe in multiple forums before he was banned. I bash Gilbert a couple of times in topics dealing with him, and it drops tears from your eyes?

Additionally, all I said was that he wasn't unstoppable. You really think he ever was? Please. If that's the case, so was Vince, McGrady, Allen, Pierce, and a plethora of other guards and small forwards...and, in turn, that doesn't quite make it so special anymore, does it?

I wasn't offended or bothered by your post... I just don't understand all the hate. Sure Gilbert is cocky. He's extremely cocky. I'm a huge fan of him and even I understand that. But that's what makes Gilbert, Gilbert. He needs to hold a mindset like being "unstoppable" to have success in the league. There are plenty of players who I can guarantee think like that when they're on the court. Now I never saw any of Slaven's posts, but you're making it sound like he was punished for disagreeing with how Laker fans saw their hometown hero.

Also, I never agreed with the point that Gilbert is unstoppable. No player in the league is "unstoppable". All I said is that he needs to think like that to be successful.

Edited by Gil-Zero

• Owner

Now I never saw any of Slaven's posts

Then I suggest you do a search and read the ones he was posting pre-suspension.

Also, I never agreed with the point that Gilbert is unstoppable. No player in the league is "unstoppable". All I said is that he needs to think like that to be successful.

And yes, there are players that are unstoppable. Bryant was unstoppable at one point. Shaq was. Jordan was. Wilt, Kareem, probably Magic and Bird, some will argue Iverson, but Gilbert Arenas isn't.

And you said it yourself: players think that. Good. They don't go out and say it 15 times in their career, telling people that they WILL score 50 on a team (and failing), talking about how they are going to win the ASG MVP award (and failing), among other ridiculous things Gilbert has blogged about.

Then I suggest you do a search and read the ones he was posting pre-suspension.

And yes, there are players that are unstoppable. Bryant was unstoppable at one point. Shaq was. Jordan was. Wilt, Kareem, probably Magic and Bird, some will argue Iverson, but Gilbert Arenas isn't.

And you said it yourself: players think that. Good. They don't go out and say it 15 times in their career, telling people that they WILL score 50 on a team (and failing), talking about how they are going to win the ASG MVP award (and failing), among other ridiculous things Gilbert has blogged about.

That's what makes a player like him so unique. There are no "in between fans" of Gilbert, you either love him or hate him. You are one of the haters and that's fine, there are definitely more haters than lovers of Gilbert so you are in the majority. But he's doing this for his own benefit. He's sending a message that he's ready to bounce back to his old game (or even better). This is what he does to get his confidence back, and right now that's what he needs. His mission is to prove his doubters wrong and play like he did a few years back.

Also, I was actually about to search, but I don't really know what to type in to find them. Was he just mindlessly saying that Kobe sucks in every post or was he at least trying to make a point that Kobe is not the best player in the league or something? I just can't imagine a decently active member "spamming" hate about a player to the point of being suspended.

Edited by Gil-Zero

• Owner

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=quick_search&search_app=core&fromsearch=1

First page, don't bother looking at the second.

I actually didn't mind Arenas until he started blogging about what he was going to do to teams, and how well he was going to play. It didn't help that he started dropping off the face of the Earth, then he gets injured and doesn't even exist for two seasons.

It's very reminiscent to McGrady, only without the excessive trash-talking.