Lee and Nate both agree to 1 year contracts

fish7718

The Knicks have reached an agreement with David Lee on a one-year contract that will pay him $7 million and an additional $1 million bonus if the team makes the playoffs this coming season.

The contract could pay Lee almost triple the amount of his qualifying offer even though it appears that Lee did not have any other options at this late stage of the off-season.

"They did something that's never been done before," Mark Bartelstein said about the Knicks' decision to pay Lee based on performance rather than forcing him to accept his $2.7 million qualifying offer.

"I'm excited to be in New York," Lee said. "That's what I set out to do in the first place."

No team with cap space entered into an offer sheet with Lee and the Knicks were not interested in sign-and-trade offers that were presented to the team.

"Unless something was completely life-changing from another team, I was planning to come back to New York," Lee said.

The Knicks and guard Nate Robinson have agreed to a one-year deal worth more than his $2.9 million qualifying offer.

Robinson will play out this season with the Knicks, but will then become an unrestricted free agent next summer, free to sign with any team. He also has the right to veto any trade that he's a part of.

Yay!! lol

• Owner

I don't understand why Lee did this. He must not think he'll be back in New York next season, because if the Knicks grab someone like Bosh in free agency, they won't be able to afford Lee. He'll definitely want the same amount of money, or more.

Being that both guys are valuable trade bait for the Knicks I believe they did this so they can veto any trade; Considering all of New York's recent wheeling and dealing I do not blame them.

Good for Lee, and Nate that they came back. Knicks in the playoffs this year. If A.I went to Charlotte it'd be iffy, but since he's in the East and Felton only came back for 1 year, Knicks have a chance at a 7 or 8 seed.

1.) Boston Celtics

2.) Orlando Magic

3.) Cleveland Cavaliers

4.) Atlanta Hawks

5.) Chicago Bulls

6.) Toronto Raptors

7.) Washington Wizards

8.) New Jersey Nets or New York Knicks

Good for Lee, and Nate that they came back. Knicks in the playoffs this year. If A.I went to Charlotte it'd be iffy, but since he's in the East and Felton only came back for 1 year, Knicks have a chance at a 7 or 8 seed.

1.) Boston Celtics

2.) Orlando Magic

3.) Cleveland Cavaliers

4.) Atlanta Hawks

5.) Chicago Bulls

6.) Toronto Raptors

7.) Washington Wizards

8.) New Jersey Nets or New York Knicks

I agree they were 32-50 last year, Gallo Chandler Nate Lee only getting better and Hill Douglas and Darko 3 good additions Darko a long lost defensive presence I don't see Toronto making it the 76ers and Knicks are better than Toronto

Edited by Fish7718

I don't understand why Lee did this. He must not think he'll be back in New York next season, because if the Knicks grab someone like Bosh in free agency, they won't be able to afford Lee. He'll definitely want the same amount of money, or more.

I don't know if there was a lot of interest for Lee from other teams. Lee probably saw the writing on the wall by the fact that it was September and no team made a real play for him. He probably hopes to duplicate the numbers he put up last year and then attack free agency knowing that his first year in New York wasn't a fluke.

I'm surprised the Knicks kept Robinson. It seemed that they would've let him walk to whichever team made an offer for him.

• Owner

Well...in no order:

Celtics, Magic, Cavaliers are guaranteed to be in the playoffs, despite major injuries.

Pistons, Hawks, Heat, Wizards...not a guarantee, but will get in more than likely.

I don't see how the Raptors can't get in with a healthy Bosh, Bargnani, Turkoglu and Calderon.

The Bulls will need a healthy Deng.

The Nets just lost Carter, so they'll be gambling on the play of Harris and Lee. Not sure about them.

Philly has Iggy, Brand and Young...but with Miller being gone, Brand has to stay healthy.

A LOT of conditional statements will need to be used for the Knicks to get in. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money on it.